Oil to gas?

Hi
Everyone I meet tells me the benefits of converting to gas heating. I have oil heating and heats my property well.

What is the cost to switch? Are there any grants available? I would be interested in servicing costs and parts if needed?

The main benefit I can see is you don’t have to pay for 500 litres upfront, like I have to do with oil.

Would be interested to hear what you think.

Thanks

Comments

• Zola.
    Zola. Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I converted earlier this year... total outlay was about £4000 which was expensive enough...

Our house was built in the 60s.... it always warmed up to a satisfactory level, but I knew the system could do with a good clean and flush through.... the thermostat we had was terrible as well, so we just ahead and got it done...

The conversion has been an absolute game changer. The house heats up literally in about 10 mins.

We replaced 5 older radiators with more powerful modern ones, added a new gas shower, wireless thermostat etc.

The wood burning stove has only been on twice since we converted as my wife complains about the house being too warm when its on now!
  • Zola.
    PS yes, with SSE at least, you can pay once a month after a year - they send you quarterly estimates for the first year (which you can submit readings to correct)... my first estimate was £180, second estimate £35.

Paying once a month will be a nice perk for sure, especially if you have Santander and can get 3% cash back on that....and of course never having the worry of running out...
  • good to hear this.

I am in a 80s bungalow and it heats OK level. needs a new oil burner, flush / clean and some rads not working at all.

no mains gas in my area and no idea of when.

I take it Zola you are on the mains gas ?
  • Zola.
    Yeah we are on mains gas!
    I am sure you have tried bleeding the radiators?
  • Zola. wrote: »
    Yeah we are on mains gas!
    I am sure you have tried bleeding the radiators?

Yes Zola done all that!!

just need flushed and cleaned or maybe an airlock as Oil Heating has stopped heating hot water cylinder too!!
  • ChrisNI
    ChrisNI Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    The general advice I've always heard relating to this is that if your existing oil tank is OK and your oil boiler is reasonably efficient and working well / not giving you any trouble then you're better to stick with it for the time being and switch to gas at a later date. The running costs aren't hugely different so you're unlikely to make your money back by switching when you don't need to
  • Zola.
    Perhaps, but if you stay there for the long haul you definitely would.

You could also argue it adds value to your house if you go to sell down the line, its a very attractive perk.
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,065 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    also an oil burner is easily and cheaply serviced. I do mine myself.

Not so gas where you have to get a guy with a gas cert to touch it!!

also more costly to repair/replace
  • ballyblack wrote: »
    also an oil burner is easily and cheaply serviced. I do mine myself.

Not so gas where you have to get a guy with a gas cert to touch it!!

also more costly to repair/replace

how do you service your boiler, wud be interested in doing this myself too as its £60 - £70 each time!!
  • guiriman
    guiriman Posts: 525 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    how do you service your boiler, wud be interested in doing this myself too as its £60 - £70 each time!!

Me too, getting someone reliable who'll come when they say is half the battle
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure