Sign-in failed - gmail

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 10 November 2019 at 6:02PM in Techie Stuff
I thought I had been successful in setting up a new gmail email account and, at first, it seemed fine. Now 'Sign-in-failed' and this notice came up:

* 'Authentication failure while connecting to server imap.gmail.com'

'Sending of the message failed.'

'The message could not be sent using Outgoing server (SMTP) smtp.gmail.com for an unknown reason. Please verify that your Outgoing server (SMTP) settings are correct and try again'.

I checked the settings for IMAP and SMTP, my email address (the new one I chose and set up) and password. I think I am using the recommended settings but, so far, I can't find out what I am doing wrong. Usually my emails, ? sync, and they arrive in my Plusnet email inbox and my 'old' existing gmail inbox on my laptop. Sending is not usually a problem.

I wonder if there is something that I am missing out. I have logged into my Google account - the existing one and now the new one and they seem to be all right. Strangely - if I send an email when logged into my new gmail account on 'Google' the email arrives to the inbox where I have sent it (Plusnet) and is in my sent box in the new gmail address. Sending from Gmail app on my tablet, my Moto G5 phone or Thunderbird on laptop - all fail - with the above notices.

If anyone can think of what I might be missing out I'll be glad to try again, thank you. I've been trying all afternoon and have to go out soon - hope to have some success to try again tomorrow.

Any help will bereally appreciated, thank you.

Crimson

Comments

• Thank you very much, stragglebod. I'm just about to go out now but will be glad to look at the link you have given - late this evening or tomorrow.

Many thanks and I appreciate your reply and the link.

Crimson
  • [Deleted User]
    edited 10 November 2019 at 11:28PM
    I tried following the information in the link - but still the same. I have tried all three devices, laptop (Thunderbird) Mobile phone (gmail app) and Samsung Tablet (gmail app.) Gmail apps were already updated and the only way I have any success is to log in to Google/gmail website on my laptop.

I enabled imap in settings but it seems to have not changed the problem:

'Authentication failure while connecting to server imap.gmail.com' is on everything apart from the website Google Gmail login.

I'll try again tomorrow, thank you for helping.

Crimson
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Change the SMTP server to that of your internet provider - smtp.x.com is the typical format, check your provider's website.
  • Thank you for post #5, Neil Jones. I'll try that - my ISP is Plusnet. One reason I opened the new gmail address is because people here seem to be suggesting not relying on ISP email.

Once I can give time to try again later today I'll do as you suggest and I am glad of your advice, thank you.

Crimson
  • mksysb
    mksysb Posts: 354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Thank you for post #5, Neil Jones. I'll try that - my ISP is Plusnet. One reason I opened the new gmail address is because people here seem to be suggesting not relying on ISP email.

Once I can give time to try again later today I'll do as you suggest and I am glad of your advice, thank you.

Crimson
    You won't be relying on the ISP email. If you liken it to snail-mail, your home address is equivalent to your gmail address, and the address you send to is l address of the recipient. The smpt server is like the post box. It doesn't matter which post box you use when you send a letter and likewise you can use any smpt server you have access to to send your email,
  • [Deleted User]
    edited 11 November 2019 at 9:35AM
    Thanks very much mksysb post #7. Your post is really helpful but please excuse my technical ignorance and thank you for explaining. I am eager to do what Neil Jones has suggested - will be able to do it this afternoon - in Thunderbird and on my Gmail apps on my tablet and mobile 'phone.

I am not leaving Plusnet as I have a fixed contract. If, in the future, I move to a different ISP, will I have to change the SMTP server settings to any new ISP at that time, please?

Crimson
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It became common practice a while ago for internet providers to intercept the SMTP outgoing email server in order to attempt to prevent spam being sent from their servers, but realistically these days a lot of the procedures for sending spam is all automated through web crawlers, spiders and bots so it isn't as effective as it used to be. As webmail became more popular and people could get to it from any internet connection, the SMTP requirements sort of got lost along the way.

Most still use it, but they assume you're be using their ISP email so you'd have to use their server anyway so they don't tell you you have to use their server for other third party email providers. But to answer the question if you move away from Plusnet you most probably will have to change it to the new provider.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 11 November 2019 at 11:11AM
    I'm surprised the Gmail app is failing on the tablet and phone ... they should work pretty much as soon as you setup the account - provided that you've authorised the apps/devices in your Google account. (The link in post #2 should cover this, so I suggest you recheck your account settings - for example, have you setup a default phone number to which G-code authentications are sent by SMS?)

PS - Are you able to receive emails, and it's only sending that's the problem? Or is it both?

PPS - for Thunderbird you may need to setup an App Password.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited 11 November 2019 at 4:18PM
    Update at 1505 hours. After a struggle I think I have resolved the problem. By 'trial and error' with your links I eventually managed, somehow, by deleting the new Google Account (keeping the origional one) and deleted the new gmail email address (keepping the origional one. ) So far I think I am back to normal.

I couldn't manage to fix the problem any other way as the same messages kept coming up. So far all my emails to and from Thunderbird on my laptop, my tablet (gmail app) and my mobile phone (gmail app) seem to be working normally as before - before I tried to open a new gmail address.

I have to accept that there is so much, technically, I seem to be incapable of understanding. Thank you for all your help. Hopefully, if the present 'normal' state continues, I should not be troubling you again. It just means that the extra new non Plusnet email address I hoped for has been deleted. I have one Gmail email address and will settle with that.

Thank you, all, very much indeed for the time you have given and for your help.

Crimson
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport