Should regs be posted on main board?

Comments

• BlueBella
    BlueBella Posts: 10,370 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Having an on-going thread on the main board which gets bumped when new regular comps are posted
    Blulu wrote: »
    Apologies Blue Gal. I didn't realise you meant this as a reason not to post regulars on the main board. It's a good and important point. I assume the Advents would be done as they always have been. That shouldn't be a problem because everyone knows where to look for them.

Blu X

except anyone who has joined mse throughout the year - but as long as they are told then all should be ok :)
    :TA big thanks to all who post and sprinkling lucky dust to all who enter :smileyhea
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,887 Forumite
    Any other suggestions?
    If we make no other change, the very least we should agree on is to change this, so that every comp is posted on the main board.

Which (apart from clicktowins) they already should be anyway.

The regulars section is mainly there as convenience to the members that use it, an alternative to removing it would be to disregarded it for the purposes of merging anything from outside the regulars with it, so duplicates in regulars would still be merged with posts in regulars and duplicates on main would still be merged with other posts on main but nothing on main would be merged with anything in regulars.
    So if the ongoing "welly boots" competition in regulars was posted on main (with any chosen date) it would stay there to it's expiry date.

(I think all the lottery style ones would comfortably fit on one post, dated say for the end of each month, and it would take almost no effort to quote/copy across for each month.
  • Blulu
    Blulu Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Posting them with an end date E: 31/13?
    So, we seem to be letting this one drop. I think that would be a shame. I don't know how we go about making anything actually change?

From what Glad said, I think she is waiting for us to decide what we want, and then, assuming she is OK with whatever we decide, she will do what she can to make it happen.

In my 'humble' opinion, there is a clear preference for listing all the reg comps on the main board, apart from the Advents and C2Ws. We haven't necessarily agreed on the best system, but we shouldn't let that scupper the whole thing. We could just opt for either system, and then change it later if we want to?

Glad mentioned that the last time it was discussed, the decision was to list some of the on-going ones directly to the regs board. So I would say that we have now agreed to change that.

The issue remains, what end date to use with on-going comps. I keep repeating the options. But none of us seem to feel we have authority to make a choice. I hope this isn't too cheeky, but I'm going to ask Glad, can you recommend what end date you think would be best to use for on-going, non-expiring comps. Or would you prefer we did another poll to gauge opinion? To me, it is 100% about which would be the easiest/most effective. I think it is obvious that the best end date to use would be one that would never automatically expire. I will ask again, is that possible?

As to which system to use, Glad, would you need us to run another poll on this before putting one of them into practice? Or could we perhaps leave it to Glad to decide, as the voting is so close on it?

Then there are the other issues raised. We have had some discussion about the possibility of closing the Regs board, or changing the name. Should we open more polls about these?

Surely having got this far, we should see it through and get everything sorted, and as soon as possible too, before the onslaught of Advents hits us.

Glad, do you have any suggestions as to how we can proceed and move the discussion forward, so that you have enough information to action it?

It would be such a shame to let this just drop, only for it to crop up again and again. Even now, the on-going comp that I found, which prompted this discussion, still isn't posted on the main board or the regs, as far as I am aware. I will happily post it on the main board, once I know what end date to give it.

Yours doggedly :)

Blu X
    I am brave, I am bruised
    I am who I'm meant to be
    I'm not scared to be seen
    I make no apology
    THIS IS ME!
  • toniq
    toniq Posts: 29,340 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Posting on the main board with an end date of E: 31/12
    Am I reading wrong? are you suggesting moving advents to reg board?
    x
    #JusticeForGrenfell
  • Blulu
    toniq wrote: »
    Am I reading wrong? are you suggesting moving advents to reg board?
    x

Good grief no. I'm saying that Advents should stay as they are. I don't even remember where the Advent thread lives, but whichever board it has been on, it should stay there. People will always find the advents. You can't really miss them. I'm saying that Advents and C2Ws should be outside the remit of this discussion.

Blu X
    I am brave, I am bruised
    I am who I'm meant to be
    I make no apology
    THIS IS ME!
  • toniq
    toniq Posts: 29,340 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Posting on the main board with an end date of E: 31/12
    Phew, That scared me a moment!

x
    #JusticeForGrenfell
  • Any other suggestions?
    renegadia wrote: »
    The comp threads in Regs could just be moved to main, and left titled as they are. If it's an ongoing never ending comp then E: DAILY, E: WEEKLY, it's fairly obvious that it's a daily or weekly, you could even put which day it's drawn on in the title. Ongoing Monthlies have always been reposted every month so that's all fine.

Weeklies and Dailies that have a kill date, they can just be left as they are again with E: 08/12 Win some stuff (weekly).

Would this not work?
  • One-Eye
    One-Eye Posts: 66,436 Forumite
    Blulu wrote: »
    The issue remains, what end date to use with on-going comps. I keep repeating the options.

If you choose a real date such as 31/12 this will:-
    a) cause problems for end daters who sort the board by end date as the ongoing regs will be mixed in with dozens of normal comps ending 31/12.
    b) The ongoing regs will be moved to Game Over as part of normal procedures (which is not necessarily a bad thing) and will have to be posted anew. If the new post is also to have 31/12 as an end date, you will have to wait until the mass movement to Game Over has finished before posting.
  • Blulu
    One-Eye wrote: »
    If you choose a real date such as 31/12 this will:-
    a) cause problems for end daters who sort the board by end date as the ongoing regs will be mixed in with dozens of normal comps ending 31/12.
    b) The ongoing regs will be moved to Game Over as part of normal procedures (which is not necessarily a bad thing) and will have to be posted anew. If the new post is also to have 31/12 as an end date, you will have to wait until the mass movement to Game Over has finished before posting.

Thanks One-Eye, that is a seriously good point. You just have to think how many comps have an end date of 31/12. I still think using E: 00/00 might be best, unless someone knows a good reason not to. It will also mean that end daters can easily search for on-going comps when they want to. I don't know if doing it this way would mean they would expire or not, but as you say, it might not be so terrible if they have to be reposted once a year.

Blu X
    I am brave, I am bruised
    I am who I'm meant to be
    I make no apology
    THIS IS ME!
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,887 Forumite
    Any other suggestions?
    Excluding the various lottery competitions what/how many other competitions are there that do not fit the current criteria* to be posted on main anyway (in other words they may not be posted at the moment but there is nothing stopping it other than no one doing it)

*That's all monthly, all weekly (fresh each week), Mag dailies etc
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport