Fabulously Frugal and Free at 50!

Pippilongstocking
Pippilongstocking Posts: 16,336 Forumite
edited 7 November 2017 at 8:00PM in Debt free diaries
Hello folks - tis I, again. I've been on the boards for a goodly while now and learn new things on here everyday from the MSE angels here. :A Thank you all!

So I'm 50 soon and no idea how that happened and I've been making a wee list with the family. So, in order to push that final bit of debt finally away and let myself be free at 50, I've decided to make my number 1 thing on my list to be debt free by 50.

Current debt is at just under £6k (plus pesky student loan which is in hand), having been at almost £35k before I found you all, we all know MSE works, as does focus. So here I am.

The plan is as always to eat frugally, use YS and free food where we can and throw the extra at the cards and OD's where I can. Having just ditched the p/t job - I'm feeling a bit all at sea. I'm 500/month down and need to pull my socks up to make sure it doesn't feel so ouchy.

I've a f/t job as a gardener in a large old estate - so whilst the pay is uber-modest, I'm lucky enough that it is both secure, nurturing, and nourishing (for body and soul) as its beautiful but we also grow a lot of veg there! I can't complain - I teach, I grow and I am finding working full time really suits me, I'm super lucky I work in something I'm really really passionate about I know I'm so totally grateful for that part of my life. You see you study forever, but still a job sneaks up on you. Darn that gardening gene :P

So here's the 50 list. The plan is to do as many of these as frugally as possible whilst having as much fun and living as fully as possible. Yes, I'm trying to be THAT cheap date, so I need to do some planning and find cunning ways to get that list done as frugally as possible.

Fabulously Frugal and Free at 50! Lets do this.

1 – BE DEBT FREE
2 – 50 random acts of kindness :A 2/50
3 - Have a pedicure
4 - Miso making - learn to make my own miso
5 – Have at least ONE adventure each month, close or far away 1/12 done 2 more booked :T
6 - Go to Iceland (like in real life not just for frozen food, or both or to a talk/exhibition)
7 – Have a henna tattoo
8 - Charity shop bonanza – every, last one in my county at least and/or go to as many as each place I visit next year?
9 - Stay in St Andrews for a night
10 - Grow groundnuts, sweet potatoes and some other exotic veg I’ve always wanted to
11 - Visit a garden show
12 – NHM with DS if possible or the whole family or a chum but GO!
13 - Walk the local coastal path 112 milesmore bits done with EH
14 - Design a garden for myself and make it
15 – Keep a gratitude diary, like actively keep one started 12/10/17
16 - Give blood
17 - Go to a yoga retreat or just a class
18 - Mocktails somewhere fabulous
19 – Have a family photo taken
20 – Grow a spice cupboard (ginger, turmeric, etc etc) why not tumeric planted
21 – Have a ski lesson
22 – Walk the Water of Leith
23 – See a mentor speak
24 – Have a ‘mate date’ once a month and find something ridiculous to do for free 1/12
25 – Go to an online chum meet up and/or meet up with online chums :money: 1/many I hope
26 – Visit my favourite people at least once this year, no excuses 3 faves visited since this list. :T
27 – Make a vegetarian meal at least once a week started 5/10/17
28 – Print photos of the family and adventures and frame them
29 – Make a new memory heart quilt – the kids each have one as does DH but not me
30 – Float in the sea in a rubber ring with gay abandon
31 – Restart my blog – I miss writing
32 - Make a hat
33 – Start a recipe book for myself
[STRIKE]34 – Make a proper pantry[/STRIKE]
35 – Find somewhere to volunteer
36 – Take a photo every day for a year to capture something special
37 – Try a dance class or Zumba
38 – Try an alternative therapy
39 – Wear a beautiful frock to an event
40 – Have afternoon tea in the garden with a friend
41 – Have singing lesson or join a local choir
42 - BBQ on the beach
43 – At least one trip with us all and one weekend with us all at home, or just ONE night
44 – Go to a costume party
45 – Grow as much of my own food and cordial as I can
46 – Get chickens (again)
47 – Eat at some crazy hidden restaurants for as frugal as possible
48 – Have a picnic
49 – Take a long train journey
50 – Have a really good haircut or change the style, why not

Let the fabulous frugal games begin.
Total debt 26/4/18 <£1925 we were getting there. :beer:
Total debt as of 28/4/19 £7867.38:eek:
minus 112.06 = £7755.32:money:
:money:Sleeves up folks.:money:

Comments

• Pippilongstocking
    edited 6 August 2017 at 2:32PM
    Focus of today's efforts is to meal plan and make sure we don't waste any food.

Breakfast is always at home and is generally porridge, cereal or eggs, hot chocolate and water.

Lunch is home made - there are currently 16 portions of HM soup in freezer, 3 breakfast snack rolls for himself and a tray of HG rasps and jelly in the fridge. Fruit/Snacks in fridge. HM cordial in fridge and fizzy water to make up juice for work. Or there is enough salad to sink a ship and plenty accompaniments for variety.

I do a lot of snacking (or pre teas, as I call them) so I need to get organised with something good and healthy as my trousers barely fit anymore. Put on 1 stone and a half since starting new job, largely comfort eating when in at 5pm as I'm ravenous.

Sunday - chinese dumplings + miso
    Monday - day off keep flexible
    Tuesday - Pork sweet and sour boiled rice
    Wed - Fish curry, poppadoms
    Thurs - Risotto
    Fri - sneaky takeaway? or a fakeaway

Will keep an eye out for reduced grub but we've plenty veg/protein might need some fruit. I topped up at the chinese supermarket yesterday so we've dumpling treats and some exotic veg in the fridge including two giant white mooli radishes.

Must learn how to spiralize - is it possible without a gadget?

Food spends this month £67.98/£200
  • Hiddenidenity
    Hiddenidenity Posts: 5,423 Forumite
    I lurked on your last diary so stopping in to subscribe so I can lurk again :o :rotfl:
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,121 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Happy shiny new diary :)
    Here's to a frugal & fabulous 50 :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,683 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Ooh, happy new diary! :j :j :j :j

And what an excellent list :j Love it :D Especially the chickens and the blog :j and thecharity shop bonanza - I confess I actually looked like this :eek: in real life at the thought of visiting even all the ones in my own city, let alone the county :eek: How many are there?! I've got 10 within ten minutes walk of my house, and another five within ten mins walk of work :eek: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Excellent list though :j
  • Pippilongstocking
    edited 6 August 2017 at 4:14PM
    Hey hello HI - nice to see you lurking again and thank you for subscribing.

Beanie I hope you're well today and indeed here's to a frugal and fab fifty :)

Cheery I know its rather ambitious - but why not - there are 9 charity shops in my local town, so that was OK - but I'm with you on the shreeky face - I may die trying.

I might be down your way to go to a visit to the local BG for research (It has a naturalistic area which I've to go and snoop at and take notes.) :) I do miss the blog but find myself sometimes at a loss as to why anyone would read it. Especially without chickens. :) mind on life without chickens is very dull I have to say. I had emailed the rescue place but to no avail, maybe I'll try again today.

Todays great efforts have focussed the mind on moving the grub spends into its own account - to give me a bit of accountability - I've renamed the DS uni account as the 'grub account' as of course he's no longer at uni. How did that happen?

DD is enroute to the tother end of the planet (literally) had a good chat with her last night on the bus (good use of bus pass) and an online chat at the airport. Funny thing kids growing up.

Make the most of the times we are together and listen to the family adventures is a good way forward.

Paid £50 off the credit card today. Small steps.

5755.40/£50 = 5705.40
  • Hey, Pippi

Happy new diary!

Will be with you all the way :D

Greying '& Co' :D:D:D XXX
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £2/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £120.73/215
    Non-food household spend April £25.94/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Charity Blankets completed 1/24
  • Woo hoo me dear - I am so pleased I need all the help I can get I'm sure.

Fabulous fun won't it be.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,121 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    What is DD up to now?
    Holiday or slightly longer?
    Scary. My DS is 24 soon & about to start Masters next month.
    How the bleep did that happen!!!
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Popped in to say good luck with it all , have subscribed and shall look forward to following you x
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,683 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Time does indeed fly! :eek:

I'm am finding my own life very dull without chickens, and I've never even had any :rotfl: Every house we view I find myself finding a location for the chickens before I even check bedrooms :rotfl: Hope you get some more girls soon :j

Ooh, visiting our local botanical gardens hey?? You will let me know when, won't you? We have spare rooms now and everything should you need them :D :j

I thought of you as I made foraged blackberry jam this morning :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport