PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Fresh cherries - how to use?

Comments

• wigginsmum
    wigginsmum Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    Wow - that is dear! I live at the bottom of Walthamstow Market which claims to be the longest street market in Europe so I guess I'm spoiled in that respect; we have an enormous range of fresh and cheap produce available. New Covent Garden is only 1.5 miles away too.
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • Chell
    Chell Posts: 1,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Is there a quick way to stone them? I'm not sure I could be bothered otherwise?
    Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!
  • wigginsmum
    I think you can get a special gadget to stone them but I just use a knife and make a vertical slit when I have to.
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • lewt
    lewt Posts: 9,158 Forumite
    just rip the stones out! if your making sauce anyway it dont matter.......
    If i upset you don't stress, never forget that god aint finished with me yet.
  • tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    I'd be eating them while I was stoneing them so nothing would left to bake with :rotfl:
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,233 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Just don't eat too many or it will be the scene from The Witches of Eastwick all over again!
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • wigginsmum
    Eeuuww - I remember heaving in sympathy while watching it! I can still picture them dripping off the lampshade ...
  • SusanCarter
    SusanCarter Posts: 781 Forumite
    First Post
    I did the same thing a couple of weeks ago (bought cheap cherries that is) and then as I wlaked out of the supermarket there was a recipe for a cherry cake. You basically make something like a victoria sandwich but in the middle you spread yoghurt (recipe said Greek but I just used ordinary natural yoghurt cos that's what I had) then cover with a layer of halfed stoned cherries begore putting top on. Sprinkle top with icing sugar and serve with a few whole cherries on the top. Sorry for typing errors - need to check on soup downstairs...
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    wigginsmum wrote:
    Wow - that is dear! I live at the bottom of Walthamstow Market which claims to be the longest street market in Europe so I guess I'm spoiled in that respect; we have an enormous range of fresh and cheap produce available. New Covent Garden is only 1.5 miles away too.
    :eek: Really? I was only there the other day. Are you at the 99p shop end or the Oxfam shop end?#

Ooops edited because I forgot to suggest pureeing them and making ice cream or pureeing them and putting them in lolly molds.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    make a pastry flan case - pate sucree is nice but plain shortcrust will do, and bake blind. Put the stoned cherries in the flan case then pour over two eggs whipped up with about two dessertspoonfuls of sugar and half a pint of cream or cream and milk. I always add a bit of Amaretto that I've got in the cupboard and would never use otherwise (almonds and cherries are a wonderful combination). bake in the oven about 180 degrees until just firm (takes about 30-35 minutes). leave until not quite cold then sprinkle icing sugar over.

Dh looked most supicious when I brought this out for the first time, now we have it three weekends running in the summer
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure