Affordable treadmill advice?

I'm looking for a treadmill on a budget so I was wondering if anyone here can help me out!

I know that you have to get a good one or you may as well not have one at all, but I really don't have the budget to spend hundreds (for now at least). I saw that on sites like Gumtree you can find second hand ones, quite expensive ones, for low prices. It's all people that never got round to using them it seems.

At most, I'll be doing a mid-speed run but for a long time. I don't think I need any special features too.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Or, does anyone have any tips for finding a second hand one? Thanks!

Comments

• MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,907 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Several years ago I picked up one for £5 I think it was as it was barely used and only had clothes put on it.

My one was powered by me, only electrical component was tracking how long and how far I had gone on it.

Many people do buy them intending to use it daily, but that never happens.

Just go with gumtree and see what pops up that takes your fancy, buy a cheap one as you may get bored of using it ;)
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Generally budget treadmills are not worth the money. Use the money on a good pair of running trainers and use the free treadmill that goes past your house.
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    As you say, a rubbish treadmill is rubbish..... is it worth waiting till you can afford a decent one? Running outside is, well, errrr...... FREE! Trust me nobody is looking at you!
    Go look at the Gumtree ones and have a go.

Personally I HATE running treadmills but if I bought one I doubt I’d trust anything under £1000.
  • smithers1981
    smithers1981 Posts: 824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    hi we bought a cheap york one from the bay used it for a bit then it became clothes hanger.

Sold it back on the bay and we only lost a tenner.

like previous posts just get outside and use free treadmill outside
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 July 2019 at 12:41PM
    I got mine on Facebook Marketplace for a tenner and it was only a mile from where I live.. 30 mins after putting in a 5km search for "treadmill " I had collected it...There were quite a few to choose from.. I have found that Facebook Market place is now the best place to get something you need close to home, far better than Gumtree..
    .. I wanted a basic manual one where I could practice walking up steep hills as I live in the flatlands and my main hobby is hill walking in the Peak District.
    the manual ones are more reliable and rely on gravity to move the treadmill set at an upwards angle. They can be adjusted to make it harder or easier.
    As others have stated, getting out and about is preferred but in the dead of winter, rain or cold a treadmill is better than nothing. Similar to bike turbo trainers where you can do a 20 mile ride watching telly !
  • purple45
    purple45 Posts: 2,472 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I got a manual one from freecycle but found it wasn't really suitable for running. Then I set up searches on all the local facebook groups and waited for something to come up. That is what I'd recommend as you get notifications when they get listed. I picked up one for £40 which seemed in good working order but it broke after about 10 uses. However as it broke mid run and I wasn't prepared to stop that gave me the push I needed to get outside and run. Now I've overcome the inhibitions I would never go back to a treadmill. Fresh air, beautiful scenery, variety...it is a pleasure rather than a workout! I'd urge you to consider it!
    Many thanks to everyone who posts competitions and works so hard to provide all the answers!
    Best wins this year so far: £100 Hobbycraft Voucher, £50 cash, GoPro Camera
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport