PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2019

Options

Comments

• nannygladys
    nannygladys Posts: 3,075 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone
    Caterinathat's a lovely idea, I wonder if it would work at our local station, its full of workmen at the moment having a facelift (the station not the workmen!) so will have a word with the station volunteers when work has been completed.
    Joining in again this year and hoping to keep posting, as I gave up last year.
    Make do: went through Christmas decs and had a sort out so have enough to make do next year.
    Mend: not so much mend, but will have to make some more cup mats as I have put the Christmas ones in the wash then they will be put away, wont take long and I have lots of fat quarters to play with.
    Minimise:Making a start on minimising my kitchen cupboards, theres only me and I counted 25 mugs today!!!!
    Nannyg
    2024 is going to be a positive year for me, and it's starting now!! 
    Buys: All budgeted and paid by cash!
    Jan - fridge/freezer
              Hoover
    Feb - milk frother, curtain pole x2, roller blind - bathroom, toilet seat, bath sink taps, kitchen sink waste unit and an extra double electric socket.
    March - raised bed for garden, bathroom cabinet, roller blind - kitchen

• misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,880 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Meal plan completed yesterday and small top up shop done today, really hoping to minimise the food spends as much as possible this month. Used up some pigs in blankets for lunch and red cabbage for tea, both leftover from Christmas. There was leftover roasties from tea so have brought them to work along with some quiche from the freezer as I'll probably get peckish around 4am.

Finished a body scrub that I got for Christmas 2017, it's been hanging around for ages as I wasn't keen on it (felt it left my skin greasy) so glad it's finally gone :D. Almost at the end of a hand cream which again I got for Christmas 2017, that will be the end of that stash, now onto the Christmas 2018 stash :rotfl:
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10552.61/£15000 (70.4% saved). Emergency fund - £1428.98/£1500 (95.3% saved).
  • cuddlymarm
    cuddlymarm Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning guys
    I thought I’d pop by before work.
    I will be making do with my food stocks all week and next week because I forgot I’d used all my holiday allowance ( Xmas day and New Year’s Day come out of your hols) so my wages are a little bit shorter than they would be. Not a problem as I always have plenty of food in for emergencies like this and the credit card payment is more important.
    Nothing mended because nothing needed mending.
    Minimising was a bottle of perfume and a deodorant finally ran out. Both have been nearly empty for over a week but finally gave up the ghost yesterday. I have loads of half empty bits that need using up so will use those first.
    Well I better get dressed and go earn my crust
    Have a good day guys
    Cuddles
    🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15
  • villagelife
    villagelife Posts: 3,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have minimised post and seed catalogues
    I made so with food in cupbor.
    I mended my letter box agaun. I must do a better fix on it.
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Re. the mini library at my local station, I've seen these at other stations before, so I'm sure that it's possible to do in every station, space permitting! Our local station also has a group of volunteers for the upkeep of the planters, they started as Guerrilla gardeners but now they're fully recognised volunteers.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks for the new 2019 thread, misstara - I'm in again please.
    Caterina wrote: »
    Someone we know has built a bookshelf with scraps of wood and put it in the local train station with a few books in the shelves. Now it has become a regular mini-library for commuters (and non-). We use it regularly to pick up and then return some very good reads.

One of our smaller local bus operators does this with a luggage rack at the front of the bus. I think it's a brilliant idea. :)

I used to take unwanted magazines to our GP surgery's waiting area but, since they amalgamated with another practice in a brand new purpose-built medical centre, they don't seem to have/want any magazines at all. :( Not a problem for me as I no longer buy magazines - that was one of my "minimises" for 2018. :D

A lot of things went out of the home last year with a final (large) batch of unwanteds being collected by two lovely volunteers from the local hospice on the Thursday before Xmas. I'm hoping a second sweep during 2019 will see yet more "stuff" going. I'll be concentrating especially on: books, fabric stash and yarn stash.

This week has seen much making do with food stocks rather than shopping for more and I've also minimised a body lotion. No mending but I'm sure if I look hard enough I'll find something. ;)
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,880 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Evening MMMers

Not actually mended anything yet but have gathered a little pile - pair of jammie bottoms, pair of leggings and 2 pairs of running socks so will aim to do that over the weekend.

Using up some more leftovers from Christmas today - stuffing with the end of a bag of curly fries plus some hm chips and a fried egg. Slightly random but will be yum :D
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10552.61/£15000 (70.4% saved). Emergency fund - £1428.98/£1500 (95.3% saved).
  • kittydfw2012
    Options
    Hello MMMers

Make do: Took a pyjama set back to Asd* because I got two pairs of black pyjama bottoms from Ama*on, which will go with two free t-shirts (cotton and mostly black) instead. Buying what I need rather than extra clothes that I don't. Bit of the minimalist coming out in me.

Mend: Nothing mended today.

Minimise: The Christmas cake - again! I know there's a rush to clear out festive food but we haven't pigged out too much and have made the treats last, I'm grateful for it and that I have stocked cupboards. The lighter eating will start soon enough.
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 4 January 2019 at 8:02PM
    Options
    No mending today but lots of Make-doing in food.

I only had an egg left and eggs on order for Monday so didn't want to buy more today. Breakfast for 2 was savoury bread pudding - stale slices of bread in a small baking dish, covered by beaten egg with a bit of milk and a spoonful of grated cheddar. Baked and topped by a few leftover mushroom that needed using up, fried with garlic. It was delicious.

Dinner was steamed veg in the pressure cooker. Frozen peas in the steam water. First basket full of cubed potatoes and swede. Top basket full of greens. Enough to save some for tomorrow bubble and squeak breakfast. I covered the veg in gravy (leftover jar from Christmas), made up with the steam pot water.

Pudding: cooked apples (the bruised ones that needed eating) and the last 2 prunes in the jar. Mixed with pulverised stale homemade cookies and leftover mashed banana. Topped with cashew cream (blended cashews with water - leftover cashew cream stretched with water, turned into cashew milk for future use).

Feeling happy that I'm using resources well.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • miss_empty_piggy
    Options
    That pudding sounds absolutely delicious Caterina xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills