PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2011 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    well i had my first spend of 2011 and it was take away :o aww well it was worth it it was yummy so i'm adding £13

gonna try go shopping tomorrow if theres time
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • angelatgraceland
    Options
    Just totted up my 2010 spends and even added £200 to cover lost receipts and Im well under last years budget! Very pleased with this!!!
    This year Im including food, cleaning stuff, petrol, cat food, small household bits,gardening for food production. There are 5 adults here(well dd is 16) One retired early, one part-timer, one just got a job, one JSA and one student so not a lot coming in!!!
    So-Ive calculated £96 pw to live on, or £416.66 per calendar month for the 5 of us and the cat. Do-able!!!
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • costaerer
    costaerer Posts: 648 Forumite
    Options
    would you count tesco clubcard vouchers as spending money? i have about £50 worth and was going to go to tesco tomorrow and stock up and maybe buy a quiche/flan/pie dish...
  • Candy_Belle
    Options
    Hi Everyone

Yey! my first NSD! Had the rest of last nights spag bol for lunch and then got invited to my bro's & sil's for a buffet tea!! Scrummy! managed to snaffle a choc frosted choc chip muffin made by sil - Hmmmmmmm thats elevenes sorted!!!:j

off to update my siggy and go to bed

Night Night x
    Grocery Challange for DH, Me & 2 Fussy Cats (inc Grocerys, Cleaning Products & Cat Food)
    G/C -May £177.04/£235.00 Apr £237.79/£235.00 Mar £226.16 /£235.00
    G/C - Jan £248.52/£235.00 - Feb£214.72/£235.00
    NSD -May 3/31 Apr 10/30 Mar 3/31 Feb 6/28 NSD Jan 3/31
  • gdyr1945
    gdyr1945 Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    Haven't posted for ages. Not sure what happened to Nov and Dec! I have been very cowardly and not added up the amount spent. I know we (really mean me as DH doesn't buy groceries) spent more than intended but not as much as in previous years so I have learned some good habits. Credit card all paid off so couldn't have been too bad. In fact am beginning to feel happier about the coming year as we acturally managed to save for a couple of holidays.
    Now everyone has gone home and hopefully we are back to 'normal' will be making list of everything in freezer and start meal planning again. I definitely found this very helpful last year but stopped doing it.
    Coming to these boards and reading everyones hints and getting so much support means so much so 'Here's to a spending controlled 2011' Good Luck everyone.
  • closemead
    Options
    First spend today £18.71 needed a few bits bread etc and £10 of that was dog food which should last at least 3 weeks.
    Had friends round for tea today had gammon leftover from yesterday, eggs (which friend brought as she has chickens) h/m chips and beans, yum, yum. I was pleased as usually would spend lots entertaining and friends loved our cheap meal :D
    March G.C. £300 fail 🙄
    April G.C. £380
  • angelatgraceland
    Options
    costaerer wrote: »
    would you count tesco clubcard vouchers as spending money? i have about £50 worth and was going to go to tesco tomorrow and stock up and maybe buy a quiche/flan/pie dish...

Nope-I'd count it as free food! It isn't after all real cash-it is just to be used in place of it! Enjoy!:)
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • helen_jelly
    helen_jelly Posts: 2,982 Forumite
    Options
    costaerer wrote: »

I wouldn't count them but there may be others who disagree - I think it depends on you and what you feel about it. I'm all for free food so if a neighbour gave me a bag of plums I wouldn't count it in my spends. I have £31 of [EMAIL="Morris@ns"]Morris@ns[/EMAIL] stamps that I have purchased over several months and when I spend these I won't be including them in my total

HTH

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
  • Keybilly
    Keybilly Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Well today I took my car to the petrol station for a car wash. The vouchers I bought last month were still valid, so I also got a free coffee and breakfast bar - good result I thought. Then I popped to a department store to pick-up a slow cooker. I checked the price on-line first (also comparing with others companies) and decided on the silver Morphy Richards cooker for £20. When I got to there the price was £35 for the red slow cooker. I explained to the cashier that the website said £25 for the red cooker and £20 for the silver one. He went to discuss this with his boss and came back and asked me if I wanted the red cooker or the silver one. Trying to be money savy said that I would have to go for the silver one due to being cheaper but did preferred the red one. He said he'd sell me the red one for £20, got out my gift voucher card from my birthday. Very happy with my new slow cooker, but would you class this purchase as a spend?
    Also I had a Body shop card that unfortunately run out in November and I forgot to cash in my free £5 birthday gift. Felt annoyed at myself for wasting this opportunity - vowed to become more organised with redeeming vouchers.
    Ended up having to buy some milk and a couple of carrots to add to a stew.
    Another question, if I spend T*s** vouchers on groceries, do you class that as a spend?
    Kx
    Keybilly
    Mortgage [STRIKE]£111,000 [/STRIKE]£107,000- under £100,000 by December 2011
    Grocery challenge January 2011 - £50.91 / £50(+5%)
    :j NSD - 5
    Weight loss challenge - January 2011 - 3 / 4lbs Total to loose - 10lbs Gym - 6/Jan11
  • savingforarainyday
    Options
    Would like to be included for this challenge this year please

My budget is for 4 adults and two dogs £2300. It looks such a lot but I know it isn't:o
    My finances are work in progress.
    Normal veiwing will resume shortly
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family