PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The sewing thread

Options

Comments

• silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Mademoiselle - I've made covers for my boat cushions so can pass on some tips if needed! I put long plastic zips in mine ( don't use metal!) and I've got a supplier for them and velcro etc. Let me know when you get around tuit and I'll give you the link
    Well done with the blanket ;) The more you use your machine you know what it's capable of and that helps build your confidence.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    Ooh well done Mademoiselle. You're inspiring me, I know a friend has a lot of rock concert t-shirts and we've talked about making them into a quilt before now.

I need to crack on with my sofa cushions. Been talking about doing these for at least two years. I finally ordered the foam, cut the pieces ... and they are still sitting there. The foam takes up a lot of room in the spare bedroom, and I'll need it for my sister next week, so no excuse. I think fear of it not working out is stopping me. They're just cushions, how hard could it be :rotfl:
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • silvasava
    Options
    Polly - feel the fear and do it anyway. I've often found that the thought of doing the job has taken up more time that actually doing it. Get in there - it'll be fine!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Mademoiselle
    Mademoiselle Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Feeling pleased with myself again.

We got confirmation on Friday that our new boat is arriving next week, so today I have turned an Ikea flat mattress cover into a nice V shaped one for our berth. It is only the 2nd project I've done on my machine but it has given me more confidence with it. Next on the list is V shaped fitted sheet, I have a grey Ikea one to transform so I guess I had better get on with trying to work out the pattern.

Happy sewing to you all
  • silvasava
    Options
    Bit the bullet and got my machine out on Tuesday and attacked my mending/alteration pile!
    Two pairs of trousers for DH shortened. They were bought in a sale, right waist but wrong leg length but easily altered and very cheap!
    A pair of my paint splattered jeans turned into shorts
    A CS top taken in at the sides for a better fit
    Two seat covers made for DS1 for his bar stools
    I've just got two beach wraps to alter - I'm going to fold them in half and make a head hole for a slip over poncho style beach dress as I've never worn them sarong style. I'm also going to have a bash at a beach bag if I can find some suitable fabric in my stash.
    Mademoiselle - how are you getting on with the sheet for the forward cabin?
    You too Polly - have you done those cushions yet?
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    PollyWollyDoodle Posts: 2,058 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 May 2019 at 6:48PM
    Options
    You've been busy, silvasava. Harrumph, those cushions ... I made the first one, put the zip in, and then before I stitched over it (and after I remove the pin that was in place) I managed to pull the end right off the zipper. Much gnashing of teeth and cursing. I couldn't get the end back on, but no matter, I have more zip. Now, I have been putting in zips for about 45 years, I would say it's one aspect of sewing that doesn't hold any terrors for me. So how did I manage to put the next one in so badly? More gnashing, zip unpicked and re-stitched. Then I inserted the cushion in the cover .... And the cursed thing is too big. (The cover, not the cushion) . I think I was so anxious about making it too small, that I didn't use the seam allowance I'd planned.

Needless to say, I now have a "mental block" on this project, I'm too scared to get it out of the bag! Visitors meant that I couldn't do any sewing, and now I'm going to be away for a week. I'm going to have to tackle it when I get back.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • silvasava
    Options
    I feel your pain Polly - why is it if one thing goes wrong it seems everything else does! I'm sure when you get back it will all go together perfectly and you'll be thinking why??
    Looked in Hobbycraft for some ribbon/tape of some sort to trim the necks of my beach covers but their stock was boring - nothing different or unusual so I'll look into the hospice shop tomorrow
  • Mademoiselle
    Mademoiselle Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your set back Polly,

Silvasava, not started on sheet yet as want to measure accurately. Boat had just arrived when we went last weekend so just got a quick look round but hoping to go back this weekend to do some more serious investigating and measure up for various bits including aft cabin mattress cover (loads of cut outs) and sheets for both. Under mattress stuff also ordered so that will need cutting too but I think I'll do that in situ.

I have drawn a plan or pattern for v berth sheet but not decided yet if I should put elastic in the hem all the way round or if I should just do it on the corners or if I should stretch the elastic and zig zag it on. Any thoughts or hints as I don't think I have ever worked with elastic except threading it through.
  • downshifted
    downshifted Posts: 1,153 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So what have you been sewing recently? I’ve enjoyed reading this thread but it’s gone v quiet

I don’t sew. Made a nightdress over 2 years at school. By the time I finished it didn’t fit!

But now age 64 I find myself tempted. I like wearing simple floaty linen or cotton mix dresses and they can be very silly prices. In Vietnam earlier this year I was buying and wearing harem type trousers that were very comfortable in hot weather and only made from two pieces of fabric and some elastic. I’ve two granddaughters age 2 and 5 maybe I could make them simple dresses, skirts or dressing up clothes. Surely I could manage something like that without the dragon domestic science teacher breathing down my neck?

What do you think? I could spend around £160 on a sewing machine, any advice on which one? A friend told me her automatic threader was invaluable, what about button holes, one step or 4?

A shop near me does classes in the autumn, I’m looking into joining one, but I’d quite like to try some basic stuff soon
    Downshifted

September GC £251.21/£250 October £248.82/£250 January £159.53/£200
  • Laura_Elsewhere
    Laura_Elsewhere Posts: 2,410 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Definitely you can do it - and should! :)

Since you have a friend with a sewing machine, why not start by borrowing hers - or even better, get her to hover over you at hers or yours when you first use it...

I'd suggest summer skirts for the grand-daughters - nip into a supermarket and buy a double sheet for £6, pop it in the machine for a hot-wash to get any excess dye out of it, and you then have enough cotton to make them skirts and little drawstring bags, and it's cheap enough that you don't need to worry about making mistakes, and it's machine-washable, tumble-dryable and non-iron, which their parents will be pleased about :)

Borrow skirts they already have and measure the waist to hem distance; measure the hem all the way round. Add c.1/2" all round for seam allowance and there's your rectangle. Cut, or be bold and tear along the grain line. Then fold and sew a narrow hem along one long edge and a wide hem along the other long edge. A narrow hem on each short edge, and then seam the two short edges together. Leave the wide hem open at the top of the side-seam. Put some elastic through the wide hem and sew the overlapped ends securely. Stitch up the opening.

Bingo - a little girl's skirt with one seam and four hems :)

THEN you get clever... take the girls to choose their own fabrics! The older one at any rate might absolutely love the specialness of that!
    2024: 66 coupons
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback