Swimming tracker devices

Options
Funny feeling this will be a long shot but it's worth a try.

I recently bought (& then returned) a Moov Now swimming tracker. I'd done a bit of reading on them (obviously not enough) and it got decent reviews.

I had my concerns initially. I wasn't convinced that technology had advanced enough to give us accurate readings for swimming but when i read the reviews i bought one. It started out ok but by the second swim session i was noticing issues in accuracy.

Basically if i did a series of lengths, say 400mtrs worth, it would accurately record how many lengths i'd done - so that part was good. I'd question how accurate it was at timing each length although to be fair to it i think it was pretty much right so i'll let that go. The time it took to do a turn was in my opinion frequently out BUT at least it recorded how many lengths i'd done and i knew the time was somewhere near being right.

My issue with this thing was when i was trying to set a fast length. More often than not it fell in to 2 categories .... it either grouped 2 lengths as 1 (so instead of me doing a 15 second length, if i did 15 seconds for my fast lap followed by a 25 second taking it easy down the other end, it would call it a 40 second lap) ..... OR it just simply would not record the length at all.

The last time i went i made a number of entries to see if they'd show. For example, i'd do say 4 lengths, take a 2 minute break (it recorded breaks too) and then do a fast length followed by a 90 second break - so i knew to check the app i should have a fast length after an entry of 4 continuous lengths. Not one of these recorded and i did numerous.

So after that long winded grumble i'm just wondering if anyone has any other swimming tracker? I know they're more expensive but are they any more accurate? The Garmin was one i was looking at. Apple Watch 3 is another although i'd possibly not spend that kind of money yet.

Comments

• fannyadams
    fannyadams Posts: 1,741 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ask if the pool has Swimtag and then compare the two?
    HWTHMBO and I both have Moov Nows, we got them because he does triathlon training. He gets on fine with the lap swimming thing but our gym also has Swimtag and he likes to compare the two at least twice a week just to 'calibrate' the moov.
    just in case you need to know:
    HWTHMBO - He Who Thinks He Must Be Obeyed
    DS#1 - my twenty-year-old son
    DS#2 - my teenaged son
    Barkin Things - my two rescued/retired greyhounds
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    Looks like the nearest swimtag is a good distance from me.

In the end i sent my Moov back. It was ok if i was doing length after length to give me a rough idea but for me it just wasn't accurate enough to warrant £50. I don't know if the more expensive swim trackers are any better or not but i'm not about to pay out to find out either.

I think i'll just have to give it time and hope technology comes on enough.
  • juliejames
    Options
    Funny feeling this will be a long shot but it's worth a try.

I recently bought (& then returned) a Moov Now swimming tracker. I'd done a bit of reading on them (obviously not enough) and it got decent reviews.

I had my concerns initially. I wasn't convinced that technology had advanced enough to give us accurate readings for swimming but when i read the reviews i bought one. It started out ok but by the second swim session i was noticing issues in accuracy.

Basically if i did a series of lengths, say 400mtrs worth, it would accurately record how many lengths i'd done - so that part was good. I'd question how accurate it was at timing each length although to be fair to it i think it was pretty much right so i'll let that go. The time it took to do a turn was in my opinion frequently out BUT at least it recorded how many lengths i'd done and i knew the time was somewhere near being right.

My issue with this thing was when i was trying to set a fast length. More often than not it fell in to 2 categories .... it either grouped 2 lengths as 1 (so instead of me doing a 15 second length, if i did 15 seconds for my fast lap followed by a 25 second taking it easy down the other end, it would call it a 40 second lap) ..... OR it just simply would not record the length at all.

The last time i went i made a number of entries to see if they'd show. For example, i'd do say 4 lengths, take a 2 minute break (it recorded breaks too) and then do a fast length followed by a 90 second break - so i knew to check the app i should have a fast length after an entry of 4 continuous lengths. Not one of these recorded and i did numerous.

So after that long winded grumble i'm just wondering if anyone has any other swimming tracker? I know they're more expensive but are they any more accurate? The Garmin was one i was looking at. Apple Watch 3 is another although i'd possibly not spend that kind of money yet.
    amazing device thanks for this post
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    Options
    Most of the modern garmin watches have a swim mode which count laps and detects stroke type.
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    Most of the modern garmin watches have a swim mode which count laps and detects stroke type.
    True but the Moov Now also has a swimming feature and was supposed to do the exact same thing (and to be fair it did for the most part, it just wasn't as accurate as i'd like).

I question whether the more expensive devices (Garmin, Apple etc) are more accurate.

I just don't have the money to 'try-&-see'. If they're very accurate then i'd get one but if they fail in the same areas the Moov Now did then i may as well buy a device at a fraction of the cost to be equally inaccurate.
  • jonybrown
    Options
    You can try TomTom Multi Sport GPS
  • charlotte1994
    charlotte1994 Posts: 854 Forumite
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Flex 2 and that is designed for swimming! There is no interface though
    I got it on eBay for £30 at auction
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    I've used my wife's Garmin Vivoactive 3 and to be honest it's not as good as the Moov Now. The Moov, if it was more accurate, would be perfect.
  • boyse7en
    boyse7en Posts: 883 Forumite
    Options
    I've been using a Garmin Swim for a few years now and it has been great for pool work. It counts lengths so is no good for open water swims, but it seems pretty accurate (good enough for me)

It will sometimes count phantom turns if I change stroke halfway through a length (catching up a swimmer in front and having to slow down) but is otherwise good.

Bought it used boxed from CIX for about £30 and it was immaculate. Still in vgc as it only gets used a few times a week and is washed every outing :)
  • jim8888
    jim8888 Posts: 375 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've got an Apple watch and find it is pretty accurate at counting laps in the pool. Unlike me, it doesn't miss any out! It's also got a good HR monitor and pedometer plus a load of apps that apply to fitness (which I don't really use.) I'm not sure, however, that if it goes on the blink I'd buy another.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure