Interest details on HMRC Personal Tax Account. Updated to include how to access interest details.

Comments

• RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,821
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    drlabman wrote: »
    Can I ask where you found your untaxed interest section?

And whether you login in via Govt Gateway or Govt Verify?

Update: This is all very strange. There seem to be different routes into the data HMRC hold.

Yesterday, I started my login process from here
    https://www.gov.uk/personal-tax-account
    and landed on my "Account Home", from where I couldn't see any way to get to my PAYE history.

This evening, I started from here
    https://www.gov.uk/check-income-tax-current-year
    and lo' and behold, I landed straight into my PAYE details. However, if I navigate from there to "Account Home", I'm in the same situation as yesterday.

How very strange. It's like it's not very joined up.

Regardless, I still couldn't find any recorded untaxed savings interest details.
    I use both Govt Gateway and Govt Verify. Both give me my untaxed interest income but both can be a bit temperamental.

I used to have an M-PIN second verification on Verify which avoided the SMS code requirement but that has stopped working and I cannot reset it as Experian keeps giving me an error page.

Gateway sometimes saves my login code for seven days but sometimes it doesn't and I need to enter a new SMS code.

As regards the untaxed interest income I click on PAYE and then Check current year. This page shows my total untaxed interest income figure and also a drill down link titled View details.

Hope this helps.
  • Just checked mine and (surprisingly) the amounts appear on first check to be accurate.

Nothing listed for P2P providers though, I would have expected these to be listed as well, or is there any reason why they are excluded?
  • drlabman
    drlabman Posts: 305
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I just logged in with a Gateway User Id from years ago, which I created for doing something with my driving licence. It took me through some verification steps (passport details, SMS code) but I logged in successfully.

This time I landed on historical tax payments where I could check this year, last year or previous years. None of them listed any interest payments.

Interestingly though, now when I go to "Account home", Self Assessment is one of the options under Income. I still see no PAYE section but this may be because I haven't worked this tax year.

Same as before - once I go to "Account home", there's no way to navigate to the tax payments I'd already viewed (other than by using the browser's Back button, which is not a good way of navigating around a website).
    Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and you’ll get rid of him every weekend.
  • My details were there but are all from last year. It does help as I was trying to correct their corrections to corrections from last year. I was working blind and I think their detailed list might have been implemented while I was trying to add a missing entry, now I have a duplicate.

Site is still pretty poor. I can update or delete each entry but it usually just says there's a technical problem and fails. A couple of deletions did succeed but they still appear in the list. No indication of any changes pending and I'll need to keep note of edits which seem to succeed so that I don't try to edit an entry twice. I expect it will eventually update the list.

One oddity for Scots is that they keep giving me £500 tax free allowance for interest and adjusting my tax code to recover 21% tax from the remainder. My total income, even with dividends and interest, is below both the Scottish and UK bands for the 41% (40%) band. No idea yet why I don't get the full £1,000 allowance. HMRC seem to ignore requests for an explanation mentioned in changes requested online. I expect that a phone call or letter might be in order now.

I suppose they are making some progress. Their site kept including unearned income when calculating income required to reach higher rate last year. That reduced the apparent amount I could take from drawdown before hitting the upper tax band. I think that the programmer was working on the assumption that next tax band after 20% must be 40%.
  • talexuser
    talexuser Posts: 3,494
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I just tried to delete the closed accounts from the previous tax year that are listed but have no relevance to this tax year and get the message "technical difficulties" try again later!
  • Yes, I keep getting that message. However, I went back later and did manage to delete a couple of entries. The changes seemed to be accepted but list didn't update. Not too surprised about that but they could have put "Change pending" or similar to indicate a change had been requested. I tried a third change but got the technical difficulties message again.

Probably worth trying again when you think the site might have less traffic.
  • drlabman wrote: »
    [snipped]
    I still see no PAYE section but this may be because I haven't worked this tax year.

Same as before - once I go to "Account home", there's no way to navigate to the tax payments I'd already viewed (other than by using the browser's Back button, which is not a good way of navigating around a website).

I'm in a similar situation to you, i.e. no paid income this tax year, therefore no PAYE section showing on the home page.

Looking at my OH's account, we found a breakdown by looking in the "Check current tax year" section of PAYE (although figures from 17/18, it looks like they've put them in the current year as they're using those numbers as an estimate of this year - they weren't showing in previous/last years income details) to see the summary, then under "Your income from other sources" a new section entitled "Untaxed Interest Income" is now showing, under which there is a "View details" link, taking you here:

https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/check-income-tax/income/bank-building-society-savings

This shows you a total amount, then there's a "Check your account details and estimated interest" button to get to an account list.

Unfortunately, with no PAYE this year you get a message at the "Check current tax year" stage (using the https://www.gov.uk/check-income-tax-current-year link you previously quoted) which says there is no record of income in the current year, with no "Your income from other sources" section. Without this you can't seem to be able to get to those lower levels (trying to go direct to the first link above results in a "Technical difficulties" screen, for me at least...)

I couldn't find a way around this. I'd be interested to know if anyone else has.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,062
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    chile_paul wrote: »
    Nothing listed for P2P providers though, I would have expected these to be listed as well, or is there any reason why they are excluded?
    P2P is the only remaining reason I'm on self assessment. One ostensible reason they may not be included is bad debt relief, which must be claimed, and which can materially affect the amount of taxable P2P interest.
  • I have managed to locate this under my PAYE section and the figures mostly appear OK.

However one account is listed which is a cash isa - where the interest is tax free. Can I simply update the interest figure to zero or must I advise them separately as its quite possible this is a wider error with that bank?

Also I have a couple of items missing i.e. bank account monthly reward payments (Halifax and Coop) which are taxed at the basic rate at source but which higher ratepayers are supposed to pay the additional 20% to HMRC. Anyone know how to deal with those?
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,062
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    margaretx9 wrote: »
    Also I have a couple of items missing i.e. bank account monthly reward payments (Halifax and Coop) which are taxed at the basic rate at source but which higher ratepayers are supposed to pay the additional 20% to HMRC. Anyone know how to deal with those?
    The Halifax Reward (and possibly also the Coop income) is not interest, so would not be expected to be included. This is an annual payment and must be declared to HMRC as Other UK Income.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback