Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • oozle1989
    • By oozle1989 18th Jul 19, 12:08 PM
    • 328Posts
    • 371Thanks
    oozle1989
    Earwigs
    • 18th Jul 19, 12:08 PM
    Earwigs 18th Jul 19 at 12:08 PM
    Has anyone had or have experience of getting rid of earwigs in your garden?

I went into the garden the other night to find 100's of the blasted things all over my plants.

We spent years battling slugs/snail infestations and have only just managed to get on top of that, only to now have a new pest devouring our garden.

Absolutely gutted
Page 1
    • Farway
    • By Farway 18th Jul 19, 12:49 PM
    • 7,493 Posts
    • 14,547 Thanks
    Farway
    • 18th Jul 19, 12:49 PM
    • 18th Jul 19, 12:49 PM
    earwigs are mixed blessing. They can be trapped in upturned flower pots on sticks, but AFAIK a general spray & kill the lot product does not exist

I think you will need to protect your most precious plants, dahlias are one victim that springs to mind
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 18th Jul 19, 2:20 PM
    • 29,081 Posts
    • 101,427 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 18th Jul 19, 2:20 PM
    • 18th Jul 19, 2:20 PM
    Unless you are producing prize blooms for shows, earwigs are not usually a major issue. We have them and I don't notice if they do damage or not, but I suspect their numbers are contained by other creatures, like birds.

If your garden is 'infested,' it's possibly because the natural ecosystem that puts a brake on population explosions is broken.

There's no quick fix.
    'Goddamn Europeans! Take me back to beautiful England and the grey, damp filthiness of ages..'
    Polly J Harvey 'The Last Living Rose'
    • andrewf75
    • By andrewf75 18th Jul 19, 3:18 PM
    • 9,391 Posts
    • 16,508 Thanks
    andrewf75
    • 18th Jul 19, 3:18 PM
    • 18th Jul 19, 3:18 PM
    Can't imagine why they would be a problem, aren't they beneficial?

Follow Monty's advice and leave out the chemicals and let everything find a natural balance
    • bugfriendlygardener
    • By bugfriendlygardener 19th Jul 19, 10:28 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    bugfriendlygardener
    • 19th Jul 19, 10:28 AM
    • 19th Jul 19, 10:28 AM
    Buy a copy of Dave Goulson's new book, "The Garden Jungle". Just read the part on Earwigs. They are such a good predator in apple orchards that some growers collect them from gardens and introduce them - having lost their original populations due to pesticide use. I'm a pro-gardener and owned my present ,no chemical, garden for 26 years and so I'm sure I have a balanced ecosystem in my garden. Most non 'green' gardeners are just LOOKING for problems. "Devouring your garden" - really?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

404Posts Today

5,017Users online

Martin's Twitter