Edinburgh attractions and things to do (merged)

Comments

• Noozan
    Noozan Posts: 1,058 Forumite
    First Post
    dogrose wrote:
    deep sea world at north queensferry is good for kids although it can be a bit pricey.
    and to walk the forth road bridge is a fun thing for kids too...and lots of fresh air!!

Hi

Not sure what you or OH do for a living but when we went to Deep Sea World, my OH asked if they offered a fire service discount (yes, he is actually in fire service, lol) and we all got in free!

We often ask for discounts when we go anywhere - we get discounted tickets at the Odeon and even KFC gives us 10% off!
    I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....
  • MINMOUSE
    MINMOUSE Posts: 398 Forumite
    Re Luca's ice cream shop, there is also one in Morningside opposite the Churchill Theatre which may be closer than the Musselburgh. Britannia also sometimes does deals where kids go free if you pick up a leaflet from the Tourist Board at the Waverrly Shopping Centre on Princes Street ( there are sometimes quite a few offers on the back of the little brochures). Forgot to mention before that the Falkirk Wheel would be worth a look but is about 20/30 mins by train out of Edinburgh.
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Anne_Marie_2 Posts: 2,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    National Museum of Scotland in Chambers Street is a must, and you can never spend too much time there. There is something for everyone. It's free , although they do have a paying exhibition on - we were down in Edinburgh last weekend, and the current exhibition is on dinosaurs, which might interest your kids, think that is on until beginning of May. Museum of Flight at East Fortune is quite good, but you would need a car to get there I think (don't know about buses, but possibly worth checking out.) Haven't been there for a while, but they now have Concorde . There is also huge market which runs on a Sunday at East Fortune, some great bargains to be had there.
    Dynamic earth went down well when my daughter was younger, also Seaworld, or whatever its called at North Queensferry. Don't know about walking over the bridge though - bit too exhilarating for me!
  • Dumyat
    Dumyat Posts: 2,143 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Noozan wrote:
    Hi

Not sure what you or OH do for a living but when we went to Deep Sea World, my OH asked if they offered a fire service discount (yes, he is actually in fire service, lol) and we all got in free!

We often ask for discounts when we go anywhere - we get discounted tickets at the Odeon and even KFC gives us 10% off!

tbh we use a pass from work for there but i know it is pricey for others.....and the locals all get free passes too !!
    x x x
  • Noozan
    Noozan Posts: 1,058 Forumite
    First Post
    Bit late for Easter time but if anyone is in Edinburgh on 16th or 17th April, entry to Edinburgh castle is free on those dates.
    I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....
  • I would recommend the City of the Dead tour for your ghost walk, takes you to the famous Greyfriars Graveyard and into the Covenanters Prison, Haunted by the Mackenzie poltergeist!!! go to https://www.blackhart.uk.com

The edinburgh dungeon is an amazing experience and is a bit expensive, but if you go to the tourist info centre you can pick up a map of edinburgh with discount vouchers on the back.

As for Mary Kings Close, i loved it thought it was amazing and definitely haunted but might be a bit boring for kids.

For food we went to Wetherspoons every day which i think is on rose lane or something like that. It does deal, is great value, has a huge non smoking section and is cheap!!
    You can only have kids there till about 6 in the evening i think, not sure of exact time.
    Hope you have a good time!
  • Xh2oX
    Xh2oX Posts: 46 Forumite
    Any ideas or tips on things to do and see in Edinburgh?? Off there for a couple of days with 10 years old so looking for interesting things to keep us occupied.

Any tips on great places to eat on a budget also.

Many thanks in advance.

Happy Easter folks!
    ;)Water!
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Xh2oX wrote:
    off there for a couple of days with a 10 year old.......any tips on places to see and what to get up to while we are there???

Any good food places on a budget?

Many thanks in advance.

Happy Easter folks

I always think the best way to see the sites quick is one of the open topped buses and as Edinburgh is supposed to have really nice weather this weekend that could be a really good option for you.
    Ocean Terminal at Leith is great for a bit of shopping and a look at the Royal Yacht Britannia - though its a bit of a rip off to go round I think
    The Castle is always exciting for kids and adults
    Why not arrange a ghost walk on one of the evenings
    For food - I can highly recommend International Starters (also in Leith)
    Hope that gives you some thoughts
  • ronnie_2
    ronnie_2 Posts: 385 Forumite
    heres a few great places:

edinburgh zoo http://www.edinburghzoo.org.uk/

museam of flight, its 20 miles out of edinburgh but good transport links. has a concorde too!!! http://www.nms.ac.uk/flight/index.asp

or deep sea world (15 min on train from edinburgh) http://www.deepseaworld.com/DeepSeaWorld/HomePage.htm

hope some of these help you.
    Compo challange:Amount won £0 Need to win £240
  • Felix
    Felix Posts: 284 Forumite
    Theres the Castle, Dynamic Earth, Brittania, the Zoo, Holyrood house, Mary Kings Close, Edinburgh Dungeons, the Vaults.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure