MOT Pass - Major Advisories

Options
Hello,

I am looking for some advise,

I took my car for MOT before the expiry of previous MOT and it has passed the test, though i noticed there are advisories on the certificate, which reads

Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (both rear) & (offside front) [1.1.11 c]

When i googled this 1.1.11 c, it says Major and description of major category is repair immediately.

Do you think it is still safe to drive, if it is major or should be replaced immediately?

Thank you for your help.

Comments

• waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    If it wasn't safe to drive it wouldn't pass an MOT. It needs doing ASAP though.
  • winter_season
    Options
    Thanks waamo for the quick reply, but i read online again on Google saying, it is because i took my car for MOT before last MOT expire, hence it could have passed with Major.

Had i taken to MOT on the last day of expiry then it would have failed.

Not sure, how true that is?
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,992 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Don't worry about that, just get it fixed ASAP. Tyres and brakes are things you shouldn't scrimp on or delay getting put right.
  • Scrapit
    Scrapit Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hang on are they covered in grease or are they corroded? A afternoon with a wire brush would determine if they need repairing
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    s
    Had i taken to MOT on the last day of expiry then it would have failed.

Not sure, how true that is?

Not true .
    Car passed MOT at that date as law requires .
    Advisory is advice that VVV is probably going to need attention fairly soon . Having another MOT check in two months time and it may well fail .
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Most of the cars I looked at and considered buying, when checking the MOT history all had the same advisory.

Guess not many MOT testers actually look to see if there is a problem or not. That's where having a reliable MOT guy comes in handy as they do go the extra mile with their customers.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,885 Forumite
    Options
    Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (both rear) & (offside front) [1.1.11 c]

I have never understood how they can look at rustand gauge how deep that rust is. Can you look at paint and see how deep it is?
    If your car is less than 10 years old it will probably be ok.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    Options
    Yes you can look at paint with the right tool and see exactly how thick the paint is.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• sheslookinhot
    sheslookinhot Posts: 1,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sevenhills wrote: »
    I have never understood how they can look at rustand gauge how deep that rust is. Can you look at paint and see how deep it is?
    If your car is less than 10 years old it will probably be ok.
    That’s why advice on a forum needs treated with caution.

One of the most important functions of a car is the braking system. As above, best getting the brake pipes renewed. Take no chances.
    Mortgage free
    Vocational freedom has arrived
  • reeac
    reeac Posts: 1,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Way, way back I had an MG Magnette ZB (a lovely looking car) and noticed that a brake pipe associated with the rear brakes looked pretty rusty. I got it changed and took the old pipe to work. We cut a cross section at the worst point and polished it to have a look. The corrosion had got halfway through at the worst point so given that this was unlikely to be the worst point along the whole pipe I think that it was as well than I'd got it changed. No dual circuit brakes in those days and the fluid reservoir served the clutch as well as the brakes so no changing down if the brakes had failed.
    Years later I restored the sports car equivalent .. the MGA which had many features in common with the ZB but I installed copper brake pipes. Still have that car.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure