Gap is Back - Time to Knuckle Down

Comments

• girlatplay
    girlatplay Posts: 3,883
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 5 June 2019 at 8:12PM
    Am I allowed to do links?

https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/spinach-feta-muffins/f4765f1a-3896-4b31-b5e6-966903ae07e5

I am seriously the worst baker I know. Can cook no problem but baking, no. Didn't get that gene.

Edit: should say I used sunflower oil as I have no idea what canola oil is (so didn't have any), didn't have feta, tomatoes or dill so put in grated cheddar and a sprinkling of mixed herbs. I did have Parmesan though. Used frozen spinach, defrosted it, patted it dry and separated it as I put it in.
    Mortgage at 12/07/2022 = £175,000
    Mortgage today = £166,457.86
    300 282 payments to go.
    House buyout fund £3,261.67/£40,000
    Random Pick Fridays = £80.01
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 89,805
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    I used to be good at cakes & nothing else.
    Cant cook either :rotfl:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Glad to hear you're feeling better. It's so important to drink enough water!

Canola oil is just the US/AUS name for rapeseed oil. Sunflower oil or vegetable oil work just as well. :)
  • girlatplay
    Forumite
    edited 6 June 2019 at 12:42PM
    beanielou wrote: »
    I used to be good at cakes & nothing else.
    Cant cook either :rotfl:

:rotfl: my problem is that because I can put in this and that and mix it up when I cook, I think I can do that same thing baking. That does not appear to be the case when baking. You need to measure things!
    Moguline wrote: »
    Glad to hear you're feeling better. It's so important to drink enough water!

Canola oil is just the US/AUS name for rapeseed oil. Sunflower oil or vegetable oil work just as well. :)

Hi Moguline thank you for popping in. I feel a lot better today. Definitely think I was dehydrated. I have to be careful as I need to keep my salt intake up too but sometimes I get too involved in what I'm doing and forget.
    Well what do you know, I have rapeseed oil too! Maybe I should have googled it. Never mind, the sunflower oil seemed to be just fine, like you say.

I had two muffins for breakfast; cut them in half and toasted them under the grill then smothered them in butter. I think the problem is that I didn't put the bits in that I didn't have as it would likely have been far tastier if I had. As baking goes though, not my worst effort. I'll ask LMG to test them as she won't hold back on criticism haha.

Going to boyfriend's for tea tonight, he's cooking! :D

Note to self: if you drink a pint of water right before bed, prepare to be woken up in the night.
    300 282 payments to go.
  • girlatplay
    Forumite
    Had a lovely tea last night. His signature dish is what we call "stinky beef". It's strips of beef marinaded in soy sauce, sesame oil, various other ingredients and a ridiculous amount of garlic. It got nicknamed from the garlic, obvs. I have no idea how much goes in but I pity anyone who has to be near me after that.

Other than that I have practically been living off the muffins. They're just so quick to stick under the grill. Breakfasts and lunches and I feel satisfied after having two.

Had a pay out from Prolific today. That's gone to PayPal. The annoying 7th of the month dd came off today. LMG's digs in.

I need to pick up a couple of bits later for the weekend so I'm meeting boyfriend and we'll have a coffee out.
    300 282 payments to go.
  • girlatplay
    Forumite
    I had a brilliant weekend. I don't want to add up what I spent in total but I took £50 cash to use for drinks and food and I've come home with just over £10. Boyfriend bought tea on Saturday night and I bought breakfast on Sunday morning.

Had to do a small grocery shop today *groan* but I needed a couple of bits that couldn't wait. I spent £28! Sake! I got some medical stuff in that but still. When I got home I discovered that LMG had bought cheese and not said anything so now we have about two tonnes of cheese in the fridge. We'll use it, we love cheese, but that would have saved a couple of pounds. I got more flour and some feta for more muffins :D They'll do me a few breakfasts and a couple of lunches, just have to make them.

Off to catch up on other diaries since I've not been on all weekend.
    300 282 payments to go.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 89,805
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    Glad that you had a fab weekend.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • girlatplay
    Forumite
    I'm just back from a very long work day, but the afternoon and evening entailed a trip to another city to visit an offshore windfarm. Fabulous opportunity and not everyone got invited. An absolute privilege.

I'm just about to get into bed but thought I'd check my online banking before I go to sleep. I've had a windfall from tax credits (I sent my year end info to them last week). It was just under £400. I have topped the emergency fund back up to £1k (that was £210), added £50 to the Christmas pot, sent £20 to the birthday pot, £20 to LMG as a treat and the rest has gone to the Overflow Budget which seems to be quickly becoming the entertainment fund :o

Anyway, EF is now back at £1k so I can start topping up the holding account again, with a view to looking at overpayments in the near future.
    300 282 payments to go.
  • girlatplay
    Forumite
    Soooo tired today after a late night last night. Not had a chance to sleep this afternoon as LMG got in earlier, full of the joys of Spring, chatting loads. We hardly see each other anymore so I would never ask her to stop talking. Off to boyfriend's for tea, he's making beef curry. Well, he'll make the sauce and I'll have to add bits and cook the beef but his heart's in the right place. I'll sleep well tonight.

No financial news today. I've checked that everything is in the right place and all is just ticking over.

It felt like May was the longest month ever but June seems to be passing by in a flash!
    300 282 payments to go.
  • girlatplay
    Forumite
    When I got to boyfriend's last night he had got home early and the curry was made! He's definitely a keeper. It was delicious too.

LMG has been offered a part time job in her industry which is great news. She is planning to go back to college after the summer so that will fit perfectly. It's so funny because she will be paid monthly instead of weekly and she's aghast at how difficult it will be for her to budget. She's really understanding of how tight the budget is for us but this afternoon has been a real eye opener for her.

No financial news apart from I saw 1p on the ground when I was rushing for the bus yesterday but if I had stopped to pick it up I would have missed the bus and that wasn't worth 1p. I meant to look for it again today but I forgot :(
    300 282 payments to go.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts