On a Mission

Options

Comments

• Mummy_bear
    Mummy_bear Posts: 604 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I have just caught up on your diary mummy bear and congrats on the expectant twins. We have baby fever here too as my youngest DD is expecting DGD2 in 4 weeks time. :)

Well done on not increasing the debt too much and glad your DHs new employer is being so good about paternity leave.

Congrats and the impending arrival of your DGD2.

I'm still in fear more than excited :rotfl:
    My LBM May 2017, DH LBM July 2017- Total Debt (not Including Mortgage) £46444.23 :eek:
    £40773.61 /£46444.23 87.8% paid
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Mummy_bear wrote: »
    Congrats and the impending arrival of your DGD2.

I'm still in fear more than excited :rotfl:

Yes understandable although at least they aren't your first so you have some experience. I know a few people with twins and they said after the first few months they are easier than a singleton as they amuse each other. Not sure how accurate that is though ;)

I guess it may be the finances are the biggest issue but you seem to have a fairly good handle on that with saving for maternity leave and sourcing second hand stuff. Makes sense when they need them for such a short time. Sell them on again afterwards too.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Mummy_bear
    Options
    Yes understandable although at least they aren't your first so you have some experience. I know a few people with twins and they said after the first few months they are easier than a singleton as they amuse each other. Not sure how accurate that is though ;)

I guess it may be the finances are the biggest issue but you seem to have a fairly good handle on that with saving for maternity leave and sourcing second hand stuff. Makes sense when they need them for such a short time. Sell them on again afterwards too.

Oh I hope it gets easier after the first few months and that they don't actually dislike each other! :rotfl:

I've definitely learned a lot from my other children, especially when it comes to money saving. Thankfully I've never been one to get the most expensive pram or changing bag either.

I think I'd go as far as to say that, excluding the car, I've probably spent less preparing for these twins than I had for my singletons. The only thing bought brand news have been the reusable cloth nappies and they tend to keep their value for resale purposes.
    My LBM May 2017, DH LBM July 2017- Total Debt (not Including Mortgage) £46444.23 :eek:
  • Mummy_bear
    Options
    Today has been a seriously lazy day for me. Had so much planned.
    Felt sick this morning and really tired all day so just had no motivation to get up and actually do the things I had planned!

DH has taken the kids out for the evening to his sisters for their tea. I'm currently sat at the computer catching up on everyones diaries that I've subscribed to eating a giant tub of ice cream :o

Only spend today was for son's hair cut this morning which was £7.50. Honestly can't believe how quick his hair grows.

Logged into the student loans company website in hopes that I could see the outstanding balance. Unfortunately that section is down...probably will be for a few weeks yet. By my calculations the other week I should be able to clear it this year. I just wanted to double check before I called and switched to DD. Don't want to fall foul like some of my friends recently who hadn't kept an eye on it and were still paying despite the balance being cleared.

Intended to get a few more things on Ebay but the app has been playing up for me today so will probably try it after work tomorrow instead.

Ice cream is now gone!!:eek:
  • Mummy_bear
    Options
    So very tired today.

Woke at 3.45am and no matter what I tried I couldn't get back to sleep, so gave up. Killing me now but will have to manage rest of the day.

Off to Ald1 soon. Have a target of getting my weekly shop sub £40. I re-downloaded the Mysupermarket app yesterday to cobble up my shopping list. I'd removed it after it was getting glitchy. Unfortunately the app is still poo. God knows what's happened to it. It just doesn't list much from Ald1 on there anymore, so I can't get an idea of how much my shopping will cost.

I get paid on Friday. Have a super tight budget this coming month and so I'd really like to get under my £250 monthly grocery budget. I'll therefore, be documenting all grocery spends from my payday and see if I can achieve this goal until next payday. I'll admit I've been a bit lax in this area of spending. It doesn't help if I ask DH to nip out for bread and he spends £10 on junk :mad:

MB
  • PurpleFairy26
    PurpleFairy26 Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Just reading your diary, can congratulations on the impending arrivals. We used to overspend on groceries with those top up shops. We now keep milk and bread in freezer (only 1 of each - unless ys) and then get these out and then top them back up at next shop as just not going to the shops is the best way for us not to spend.
  • Chrystal
    Chrystal Posts: 1,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Try telling him that anything he buys, over and above what you've asked him to get, comes out of HIS personal spending money, And make sure you do it! :D

Hope you get some decent sleep tonight. X
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

happiness isn't achieved by getting extra things,
    but by getting rid of the things that make you unhappy
  • Mummy_bear
    Options
    Just reading your diary, can congratulations on the impending arrivals. We used to overspend on groceries with those top up shops. We now keep milk and bread in freezer (only 1 of each - unless ys) and then get these out and then top them back up at next shop as just not going to the shops is the best way for us not to spend.

Thank you.

I used to do this. But I need to sort the freezers out and use what we've got in them to make room!
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    I use my supermarket, but I list everything at Mr T's, then, as I'm going around Ald1 I check to see if the prices are cheaper then buy in the cheapest place (timed toms were cheaper in. R T's this week) bit of a faff, but works for me..
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • Mummy_bear
    Options
    Chrystal wrote: »
    Try telling him that anything he buys, over and above what you've asked him to get, comes out of HIS personal spending money, And make sure you do it! :D

Hope you get some decent sleep tonight. X

Haha tried that approach before and it doesn't stop him. :o he's seriously so bad at shopping.

I can't wait for bed time either!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Success on my shopping trip. Spent £39.49 :T This should last the week. I was that person with a shopping list and the calculator on my phone. It worked though. No spontaneous silly purchases :money:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure