Cherry takes the reins

Options

Comments

• Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,036 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I actually did all my list today - that's why short lists rule! The actual list, the invisible one, is probably pages long, but it isn't written down any more: it got done once, just once.

Updates: I managed to get back into the system for booking leave and hurried through the process before it threw me off again. Pressed 'send' and realised I have made a mistake somewhere and said I was due on a 7.5 hour shift somewhere, that I'm not. I'll have to see if I can get my manager to sort it out, poor man.

Run accomplished, only about 2K but that's a lot better than not going at all. I'm feeling very unfit every time I run so I need to keep at it.

DD didn't get back to me about the tickets but my friend mentioned the same show is on elsewhere later so it's not the end of the world if we miss this time round. She has been having difficulty picking up some messages since she got a new phone (and I'm wondering whether to buy her old one off her! My current one is miserably short of space despite my best efforts).

Dinner was a pie made with lots of left-overs from Sunday so there is now more fridge space. Just as well. DS2 knocked stuff over from there earlier, so things went on hold till the floor was clean and safe again.

The piano pracrise wasn't as bad as I'd feared but I had already cancelled today's lesson as, between work, being away and DS2 being on waking nights, I hadn't practised for at least a week.

Spends:
    Mortgage overpayment £500.00
    Milks bill (housekeeping) £6.39
    MS stuff:
    £10 saved by not having my piano lesson
    Cost of dinner saved by using stuff up
    Breakfast and lunch were 8p's worth of delicious hot cross buns bought at yellow sticker prices yesterday. Not the most balanced diet, but yummy.
    Confession time:
    Broken cup from the fridge incident, and waste of a bit of food.
    Tickets for DD's birthday would have been cheaper if I'd booked earlier.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • supersaver1000
    supersaver1000 Posts: 2,465 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Love your positive post - yesterday at 1.07am! :eek::rotfl: Makes me feel tired just thinking about it.

Keep up with the running - well done!
    OSWL (start 13st) by 30Jun20 6/10
    £1/day Xmas'20-62 £214/£366 saved
    Grocery Challenge Jun £742/£320 spent
    Homeowner wannabe by July 2020 - WooHoo!!
    Starter Emergency Fund £1000/£1000 saved
  • Cherryfudge
    edited 4 April 2018 at 11:24PM
    Options
    Thanks SS1000 - I'm not known for being an early bird.:rotfl:

No run today but got plenty of walking in so the step count is looking better than lately.

Nothing spent today either. :)

I made some inroads into the clutter. There are a number of boxes of books that were Mum's and which had just been stacked up. Some I knew I didn't want to keep and probably didn't have a resale value but to I felt I should get rid of the address labels on the front covers, only to have found those labels aren't designed to be removed. Today I found by accident that antibac wipes do the trick! Takes a few minutes but there must be a solvent in the fluid.

The decluttering score is: 3 books into the recycling as badly damaged. 12 with labels (and odd scraps of paper used as bookmarks) removed and bagged up for charity. Emailed my sister about a couple she may want.

Spends:
    None
    MS stuff:
    Dinners from fridge and freezer again.

Nothing much else to report. :)

• Cherryfudge
    Options
    Been a longish day but clear blue sky and warmer than for many months, and I got to spend time out of doors so I'm happy. :)

I had a quick nap after work but got myself up again and popped down to the shops: hay for the guinea and a few cheap tins for us from the far end of town, and I will admit to four plants for the garden from the discounted ones. I nearly got a couple of pots of tiny daffodils then remembered I'd seen one with more bulbs in at a shop I had to pass on my way home. It was still there for £1 so I bought it and on the till it was 50p! The daffs were planned for a wall basket but the three dianthus weren't so I need to find a home for them. Still, 75p each... the ones I got a few weeks ago were 3 for £5, though much bigger.

No run today but I walked over 21,000 steps so I'm letting myself off that one. I did hurt my foot somehow but I don't think it's bad, just unexpelained. DD has a half-marathon at the weekend so she ran from the town where she works to the next town after work today and sent photos - just an idyllic setting. I have ordered the tickets for her birthday present today. Memo to self - train tickets needed too so see if I can split tickets and cut costs by buying early.

Spends:
    DD's birthday present £52.50
    Pets £1.99
    Housekeeping £4.16
    Toiletries £5.00
    Garden £2.75
    Household £5.00
    MS stuff:
    Plants all at half price
    £3 off toiletries
    Saved about £1 on food by shopping where I did.
    Thought twice before buying the first lot of daffs I was tempted to, so saved money.
    Confession time:
    The dianthus (dianthi?) were unplanned (but will be pretty and smell gorgeous)
    Cheap eggs - can hens really afford to lay for 10p a day? :(

• Cherryfudge
    Options
    I forgot to add - I've sent 11 books to the charity shop and some craft stuff to a friend - that's two carrier bags' worth of space gained! :)

• Honeysucklelou2
    Honeysucklelou2 Posts: 4,657 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I don't think hens can lay for 10p a day! But then much depends on what they are fed on. I tend to feed mine on food produced by companies that don"t use GM ingredients which does cost more to buy.

Well done on the book clearance.
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • Onebrokelady
    Onebrokelady Posts: 7,385 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Well done on the decluttering,I still haven't made a start on mine,I'm still in the planning stages at the moment (that's what I keep telling myself anyway) I'm on holiday next week so I'm hoping to get some done then,the actual house is ok it's my spare room that full of junk and I really need to clear it out for when DGS comes to stay,at the moment I put his travel cot up in my room but it's in the way then so being able to put it in the spare room would be great,but before I tackle the clutter in there I have to do battle with the ironing mountain that's built up on the bed:eek:
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well done on the decluttering. It's great when it reaches the charity shop.

Have a good week off. I hope it's sunny for you.
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • Cherryfudge
    edited 6 April 2018 at 11:49PM
    Options
    I don't think hens can lay for 10p a day!
    :( I was afraid that might be the case. Yours will be much better off, I know.

So I have a weekend off! Yay! And rain is forecast, ah well.

No progress made on the house today but half an hour or so has been spent in the garden clearing brambles and other weeds. The tangle that was a border isn't sorted yet but it's considerably less dense than it was this morning. I have also finally brought into use a little hand fork that I got two or three years ago. Would you believe it looked too nice to use? :rotfl: It's a sturdy little thing with a wooden handle, much tougher than the old plastic-handled one it takes over from - and it makes detail work a lot easier. I discovered a tub of marjoram which I thought had died off, too, which was especially encouraging as my neighbour and I were lamenting the damage done to tough-looking bushes of rosemary and sage in the recent snows. Now it just seems that nature is making up for lost time!

I had one of those moments of unexpected objectivity this evening: I was washing some pans which we were given for a wedding present a lot of years ago and which have been treasured almost as members of the family. :D DH and the kids have been on at me for a long time to replace them as they are getting very worn: the copper bases have mostly buckled and a lot of the handles have loosened to the point where they wobble, but I hung on to them out of sentiment and because I can't be sure a new set wouldn't suffer the same fate! Tonight I decided they are no longer what they were and it's time to look into a decent new set. I had DH look up how much they are in the hope he will realise that dunking a hot copper-based pan in cold water does more than create an interesting bang. :rotfl: I don't think he's the only culprit but he's now the most likely person to wreck them, IMO.

It's funny how I somehow saw them much as they were when new, but looking objectively there's not a single one in good condition any more.

Spends
    Housekeeping £3.48
    MS stuff:
    87p off bread

• Honeysucklelou2
    Honeysucklelou2 Posts: 4,657 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Enjoy your weekend off!
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories