Green, ethical, energy issues in the news

Comments

• NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,715 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Yep. there's far more to it, we have the government's big bet on nuclear, which would be embarrassing to them, and clearly the Chinese put some sort of pressure on Theresa May
    Well, we can change the government in a few years. I've always been a right winger who though Attila the Hun was a "pinko, lefty pooftah." But, I have also had green leanings in wanting a safe environment for my descendants. As I age, I am becoming more militant with regards to saving our planet from fossil and nuclear pollution.

I actually think the Chinese people would understand if we binned HPC in order to get more of our energy from renewables.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    NigeWick wrote: »
    I actually think the Chinese people would understand if we binned HPC in order to get more of our energy from renewables.

Let's just offer to buy £50bn worth of PV panels instead, that should keep them happy, or allow some sweetheart deal on UK manufacturing of PV and wind turbines.

I'm starting to wonder what HPC means for the government's nuclear ambitions, it's only the first 3.2GW of a planned 16GW rollout.

If they cancel further nuclear plans, will that highlight the cost of HPC and raise the embarrassment factor? Will they double down on nuclear just to disguise the fact that it's really expensive? Or will they say, things have changed a lot since 2012 (true) and we are revising our position?

I feel we are right at the top of the climb, having pushed the RE rollercoaster all the way up, and just a tiny bit more effort and it'll be free rolling at great speed ...... just a tiny bit more effort please TM please.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • NigeWick
    If they cancel further nuclear plans, will that highlight the cost of HPC and raise the embarrassment factor?
    That will likely be the reason they do not cancel because it can't be that HPC would ever save us money.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • Martyn1981
    This is an interesting read. locals are objecting to a large wind farm proposal ........ because ....... and wait for it ....... they want to finance and build it themselves. Good for them.

Who said that not everyone can invest in renewables?

Crofters on Lewis fight EDF and Wood Group's windfarm proposal
    Donald John MacSween, the general manager of the Point and Sandwick Trust, said that the crofters’ plans justified the interconnector. “For generations, we’ve been living in a gale, and now that we’ve finally found a way to make money out of it, I don’t see why EDF should take it,” said MacSween. “Mind you, if we can find a way of making money out of rain and dark nights, then we’ll really be in business.” :D

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981

• NigeWick
    Sounds good to me.
    France can dictate EU policy? Interesting.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    NigeWick wrote: »
    France can dictate EU policy? Interesting.
    Hi

If you think back, the EU/Canada trade deal was being heavily influenced by US style pork-barrel politics with the Walloons (not even a country) using the threat of using a veto ... I seem to remember seeing that Brussels wasn't too happy with the situation & were looking to take all trade related decisions away from member states at both national & regional levels in order to 'streamline' the process ... great advert for EU democracy if they can get away with it, but as it stands it certainly looks like France can make such comments & have the ability to back the position with actions! ... :think: ... probably seriously upset some other member states though ... ;)

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Martyn1981
    Mines to take weight for storage
    Gravitricity plans to catch excess green power through disused shafts

Edinburgh start-up Gravitricity has secured a £650,000 grant from Innovate UK to help with plans for energy storage projects at the sites of disused mines in Scotland.
    Projects are planned between 1MW and 20MW, the company said.

• michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,003 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 February 2018 at 12:20PM

Tech is to use large vertical range in a mine shaft to store excess grid energy as gravitational potential energy, motor uses leccy to raise hanging weight and then gives it back as generation by lowering weight when prices are higher. I wonder how efficient this is?
    https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/1pmact/how_efficient_is_gravitational_potential_energy/?st=jdeemeoz&sh=6e9cac45
    This suggests storage efficiency is high 60s which is considerably less than lithium ion.

Also it suggests that to store the same amount of energy as a car battery as gpe would need the whole car to be raised by 200m - can this be right?
    I think....
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 8 February 2018 at 4:52PM
    Mines to take weight for storage
    Edinburgh start-up Gravitricity has secured a £650,000 grant from Innovate UK to help with plans for energy storage projects at the sites of disused mines in Scotland. Quote:
    Projects are planned between 1MW and 20MW, the company said.
    Hi

They're likely not looking to generate 20MW for long then! ... for each 1 metre the 2000tonnes is raised the energy storage through gravitational potential is little more than 5kWh, so say it's raised 300m (~1000') the potential is around 1.5MWh, therefore describing a facility which could deliver 20MW for little more than 4 minutes ((1.5/20)*60)) ... :o

£650k for a study on 1.5MWh equates to well over £400/kWh of potential storage, which is more than it would cost to install a large-scale battery solution ...

They should send me the odd £50k, buy 1.5MWh of batteries from Tesla and spend the rest on acquiring a real white elephant for Edinburgh zoo! ... at least they'd have both a working storage solution and a tourist attraction! ... ;)

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure