After the Work Programme

Comments

• Daedalus
    Daedalus Posts: 4,253 Forumite
    Some places ask for 2 years previous experience as a cleaner plus Coshh and certificates/verification of training with certain equiptment etc,like buffers and such like.
    It all depends on the cleaning job.

Oh, well, as some ask for that then best not waste time applying for any...

Not mention that minimum requirements mean squat.
  • AP007
    AP007 Posts: 7,109 Forumite
    edited 23 July 2013 at 9:12PM
    Daedalus wrote: »
    God you make so many excuses. You weren't looking for cleaning or security work because the JC didn't put is on your job seekers agreement so you thought you weren't allowed?

How much experience do you think a cleaner needs?

Well let me think..............There was a job at the school my niece goes to and it wanted FIVE years commercial cleaning experience.

That's the 100% truth there believe it or not.

or http://www.reed.co.uk/jobs/early-morning-cleaners/23354354#/jobs/london?keywords=cleaner&pagesize=100

Early morning cleaners required urgently for a prestigious location in the City!
    Working from 5.30am to 7.30am Monday to Friday, the work will include cleaning offices, kitchen and washroom areas.
    Previous office cleaning experience is required and a 2 year checkable work history for referencing purposes.
    Due to the location and working hours you will need to live somewhere with excellent transport links to the Aldgate/Fenchurch Street areas of London.

Please note that due to the anticipated level of responses only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Daedalus
    Excuses.

Minimum requirements mean very little, many many people get interviews and jobs in which they do not meet the requested requirements. Minimum requirements are there just to deter people who aren't really interested in working, seems to work...

Not to mention, one job asking for certain experience is sufficient to not apply for any jobs in that industry, especially as you say the WP can help those looking for work in that industry.
  • AP007
    edited 23 July 2013 at 9:48PM
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Excuses.

Minimum requirements mean very little, many many people get interviews and jobs in which they do not meet the requested requirements. Minimum requirements are there just to deter people who aren't really interested in working, seems to work...

Not to mention, one job asking for certain experience is sufficient to not apply for any jobs in that industry, especially as you say the WP can help those looking for work in that industry.
    Yet again getting industry confused with job function

Why list minimum requirements for say a job as a nurse? Surely we can all do that? Or to say a company is looking for a ACCA accountant? Maybe they want a junior as I am sure they are just saying they want someone ACCA for a laugh.

What about the jobs where I more than meet all the criteria?

Yeah that's it I don't want to work

I thought what great luck to lose a job paying £500 to get £65 a week in stead

To now be £5000 more in debt than the day I left work

Yeah I don't want to work at all after never being out of work ever since leaving school in 87!
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    ^ Plenty care work jobs available that require little or no experience.

http://www.reed.co.uk/jobs/female-relief-support-workers-camden/23288288#/jobs/london?
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • Daedalus
    Over qualified...
  • AP007
    ohreally wrote: »
    ^ Plenty care work jobs available that require little or no experience.

http://www.reed.co.uk/jobs/female-relief-support-workers-camden/23288288#/jobs/london?
    no wonder abuse is common in the care profession

I am not a 'warm, compassionate' person so not really for me
  • Daedalus
    AP007 wrote: »
    I am not a 'warm, compassionate' person so not really for me

Fake it...
  • scooby088
    scooby088 Posts: 3,385 Forumite
    When people say you don't need experience for a cleaning job I would say everyone cleans their own home so experience is already there, the only thing with coshh is the safe storage and mixing of cleaning chemicals, and nearly everyone in a domestic setting buys cleaning stuff already diluted. Also if you have never used a buffer machine they can be quite a handful this is where the experience part comes in.

Also care work isn't for everyone I tried it for four months was my last job, i realised it wasn't for me. I currently drive cars through an auction a job I really like but would like more hours.

I don't think it wrong for people to stick to the jobs they know and are comfortable with why would any employer employ someone who is obviously going to jump ship when another more suitable job comes along.
  • Crazy_Larry
    Crazy_Larry Posts: 53 Forumite
    I was hoping someone would start a thread on this subject, found people's experiences interesting. I have just finished the WP and am awaiting my first appt/confrontation at the JC. No doubt feathers will fly but there is no way I am going in twice a week. Will let yall know what happens.
    I didn't ask to be born!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport