Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route?

Comments

• Well thank you all, I knew I would get some advice here !

Visited my Mum today and she was asking me my advice on the 'supply agreement ' she has received. I cannot remember her ever signing such a supply agreement , it may have been when Dad was alive and they first had gas from British Gas. But that is many years ago.

I instantly thought they were up to something because of the new rules coming in about the tanks. They do not deserve any customers for being so underhand. They are attempting to tie people into a contract at a time when they may not have heard of the change in terms re: the tank.

Let's face it in Mums letter they use the term ' It has come to my attention that your current supply agreement has lapsed'. I suspect Mums 'agreement' lapsed 13 years ago if the first agreement lasted 5 years !

I've got a good mind to ring up and ask for a copy of the last supply agreement just to find how long ago it was !

I know Mum will not want the tank changed. It then means waiting for the new legislation. So the question is if Mum does not sign the form will they continue to deliver gas.............
  • Hi, I have also just received Flogas's new supply agreement. I can't actually read the Ts and Cs. I won't be signing it. They are after 35.35p/l + a 10.9p/l surcharge all no doubt subject to 5% VAT. My tank is 20 years old and Flogas phoned me recently to tell me they were arriving the following week to change it. I put them on hold as this was just the moment I was waiting for to bench mark them against others. I'm currently paying 43.25p/l all in plus VAT. Country Wide Farmers quoted 34p/l + VAT, a big saving with no charge for changing the tank. All was going well until they noticed I have a mature oak tree above the current tank so have over hanging branches. They have suggested I construct a new concrete base about 3m away but it would then be on the edge of my lawn! The branches are about 8-10m above the tank so I can't see there is actually a problem. Anyone else come across this? Apparently something to do with a new regulation...

BP were the next cheapest (38.45p/l for 6 months rising to 40.95p/l all plus VAT) so I'm going to see if they have the same issue.
  • Dennis I read somewhere on this site about the issue of the tanks siting. It went something like if a new tank is put in place now then the new ruling about siting ie. trees etc have to be adhered to. It is therefore better to wait until you can change suppliers without the need to change tanks.
  • Can anyone tell me is it possible to purchase your own LPG tank and from where ??
  • Dennis I read somewhere on this site about the issue of the tanks siting. It went something like if a new tank is put in place now then the new ruling about siting ie. trees etc have to be adhered to. It is therefore better to wait until you can change suppliers without the need to change tanks.
    Thanks for this. The problem is that the current tank is 20 years old. According to Flogas it should be changed. Interestingly, Flogas don't see an issue with the current location! I've just heard from another supplier that doesn't deliver to my area that an announcement about the timing of the new legislation will be made at the end of this month and it will become effective either in December this year or March of next year. Apparently, we shall be required to pay the owner of the tank the standing charge and will be free to obtain gas from whoever we like. A price war is predicted! It's certainly worth hanging on for a while..
  • I contacted Flogas by e-mail last week and have had no reply as yet.

On the other hand I e-mailed lpgsolutions this afternoon and had a reply almost straight away. Absolutely marvellous !! Their website is very informative too. It is so refreshing to contact a company and get such a quick and helpful reply. It's made my day.

Here is their website if you would like to check it out, well worth a look

http://www.lpg-solutions.co.uk/index.html

Here is my reply from lpg solutions...

'Your Mum is probably still under some form of contract, albeit expired and within notice period. We would suggest you ask for a copy of any existing contract before doing anything else. It is advisable to establish if you are
    outside the core period of the contract . It is suspicious that their customers are being written to - we've had numerous people onto our website with similar questions. As of this week the latest from the Competition Commission is that the legislation has been delayed yet further (giving existing suppliers more of an opportunity to re-sign their existing customers!) and will not be in place until after Christmas.This being said, we would suggest you keep your options open for your Mum and wait until the legislation is available, which will increase competition
    and make changing suppliers much easier. '

I have phoned Flogas today for a copy of the old agreement. The lady said that these letters were being sent out to customers whose agreements had lapsed, and to those who do not have an agreement at all !!! So it will be interesting to see how old the old agreement actually is !

Just a mention, for those like Mum who had previously been British Gas customers and were transferred across to Flogas, Flogas just told me that was in 2002. Six years gone by already !
  • Hi, we rent our property and Flogas have been charging us £85 a month. Now they want to charge us £130 a month yet we only use around 600-900 litres a year. They also charge a standing charge of around £18 a month. it sucks. What would happen if we just ask another company to fill up the tank without telling flogas?
  • hi we to had the new contract to sign i asked for the old one and was told it had expired, i told the lady on the phone that we where waiting for the change in the legislation, and would not be willing to sign until then if we where offed a better price deal she said that was fine we are at this time paying 34.85p per litre and 10.9p surcharge, and 14.79p standing charge
  • msmo_2
    msmo_2 Posts: 30 Forumite
    Calor Just Informed us that as Of October 1st our gas will increase from .4015 per litre to .4710, plus of course standing charges ect..
    As you say She2656 Unbelievable !! they vary SO much, from the same company ???
    Thankfully we live in a smallish park Home, so our use is not as high as many on here, but as pensioners and feeling the cold more and more these days this Increase is a biggy for us too.

By the way, had a man from calor last week cleaning and Painting our tank ! never been done in the 6 years weve lived here..He told me that Calor and Flogas were one and the same company ..anyone know If this is right ?
  • Asked Flogas for a copy of the old agreement. Guess what, it was signed in 1992 !!

They are just trying to catch people out. They do not deserve any customers at all !!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback