Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Scooby Snack
    • By Scooby Snack 14th Jun 19, 8:57 AM
    • 7Posts
    • 7Thanks
    Scooby Snack
    Probate Delays
    • 14th Jun 19, 8:57 AM
    Probate Delays 14th Jun 19 at 8:57 AM
    I hope this information might help some of you waiting for probate to be granted.

I submitted a probate application to Winchester Probate Registry 28th March.

On 2nd May they were processing applications dated 11th March.
    Today they are processing applications dated 28th March.
    So in 6 weeks they have processed c2.5 weeks of applications.

I am still waiting for return of my application which hopefully will be next week and I have my fingers crossed there won't be any issues or errors found.

I wish the HMCTs would publish this information instead of the 20 days mentioned on the website so applicants had some realistic info.

Good luck to everyone else waiting.
Page 3
    • Doobs_111
    • By Doobs_111 29th Aug 19, 11:43 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Doobs_111
    Wills and Probate on Gov.uk say Probate has been granted for my application made on April 18th from the Newcastle registry. So a 19 week wait in total! Good luck to those still waiting.
    • Robinette
    • By Robinette 29th Aug 19, 4:52 PM
    • 225 Posts
    • 201 Thanks
    Robinette
    I'm puzzled by the fact that the probate office we sent our application to (Harlow) does not appear on the probate search page, so I can't get any idea of the delay at that office. I even tried searching for the death of "John Smith" assuming that would have to bring up every office, but still no Harlow.
    What am I missing?
    Originally posted by erbriggs
    Harlow is a sub-registry; only the names of the 12 district registries appear in the probate search results.
    • Spanner90
    • By Spanner90 29th Aug 19, 5:29 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Spanner90
    'The public rely on our probate service at a really difficult and challenging time in their lives. They rely on us dealing with applications in a timely way. We are sorry that over recent months our performance has been too slow and has kept people waiting. I want to explain why the service has got slower, what we are doing about it, and how we will change the way we do probate over the longer term to make it better'

wow an apology!!! I take back what i said in earlier post.

Interesting blogs from Jonathan Wood HMCTs National Director

Both blogs worth a read to find out the exact reasons for the delay.......

Still won't let me post website links but they can be found if you google 'inside 'HMCTs blog'
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 29th Aug 19, 5:47 PM
    • 31,367 Posts
    • 19,448 Thanks
    xylophone
    Still won't let me post website links
    https://insidehmcts.blog.gov.uk/2019/08/27/making-our-probate-service-simple-accessible-and-reliable/
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 29th Aug 19, 5:50 PM
    • 31,367 Posts
    • 19,448 Thanks
    xylophone
    Have now been waiting over 20 weeks live in Bristol so assuming Cardiff office. Company sorting this for us have tried chasing to no avail and so have I. Have now resorted to contacting local MP to see if they can shed any light on the situation. Have lost a buyer for the property as waiting to long. Anyone have any idea what else to try ??
    See https://insidehmcts.blog.gov.uk/2019/08/27/making-our-probate-service-simple-accessible-and-reliable/

Helping us help you
    If you are experiencing delays outside of the six to eight weeks and this isnít due to stops then please do get in touch with us and we will investigate. I would ask for your continued patience if we are in the eight-week window for all other cases so our team is able to remain focused on clearing the work.

There is a link to click in the above.
    • Changeoffortunes
    • By Changeoffortunes 2nd Sep 19, 11:54 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Changeoffortunes
    Not sure if this helps anyone but Probate has been granted today (1st Sept) for our application mid April - Newcastle Office. Stopped counting the weeks ��
    • Suziekettles
    • By Suziekettles 4th Sep 19, 9:30 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Suziekettles
    Our probate update:
    Probate just granted, solicitor submitted paperwork on 26th June, received grant of probate on 3rd September -10 weeks. We live in Birmingham but they used the Newcastle office. It hasn’t taken quite as long as we thought it might, big relief!
    • Ant550lag
    • By Ant550lag 6th Sep 19, 2:06 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ant550lag
    My experience:

Application for grant of probate sent by my solicitor on 13th May.
    Confirmation from Manchester office that it was being processed on 8th July.
    Office asked a question regarding the deceased marital status to which my solicitor replied by email on 24th July.
    Still waiting for the grant to be issued at the time of this post...

I have phoned the office on 9th August and was told they were looking at email responses to questions dated 2nd July.
    Phoned again on 27th August and they were looking at emails sent on 16th July.
    Phoned again today and they are looking at emails dated 22nd July, so only 2 days away from the date that my email was sent!

I have sent the example of my case to the law society, which was linked to earlier in this thread, and now also to the government feedback address, also linked to in this thread.

Hope this info is useful to others in a similar situation
    • caeracer
    • By caeracer 12th Sep 19, 6:09 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    caeracer
    We are trying to buy a house that is going through probate. We offered very early in July but probate wasn't submitted until 14th July so we are coming up on 9 weeks now. We have some flexibility in completion on our sale but are committed to move out in November so it is starting to get very frustrating, especially as we can't even chase directly as it isn't our probate application.
    • badger09
    • By badger09 13th Sep 19, 3:52 PM
    • 7,409 Posts
    • 6,945 Thanks
    badger09
    We are trying to buy a house that is going through probate. We offered very early in July but probate wasn't submitted until 14th July so we are coming up on 9 weeks now. We have some flexibility in completion on our sale but are committed to move out in November so it is starting to get very frustrating, especially as we can't even chase directly as it isn't our probate application.
    Originally posted by caeracer
    Unfortunately, that's a calculated risk you take when buying a Probate property.

When I sold my late sister's house last year, I didn't put it on the market until I'd received Probate, though I'm aware I could have done so, much earlier.
    • Rich2808
    • By Rich2808 16th Sep 19, 6:19 PM
    • 861 Posts
    • 693 Thanks
    Rich2808
    We have been holding off applying for probate on my father's estate as the estate value is between £5,000 and £50,000 (i.e. the assets/savings in his sole name) so we would save £215 in probate fees under the proposed new fee structure.

Seems like the secondary legislation to introduce the new fees looks like it isn't going to happen now - particularly as its a policy unlikely to be popular with an election coming up and the government no longer has a majority.

I know there are IT issues as well - but all this chaos/delays resulting from people trying to to avoid probate fee hikes which probably are never going to happen now!
    • badger09
    • By badger09 17th Sep 19, 9:59 AM
    • 7,409 Posts
    • 6,945 Thanks
    badger09
    We have been holding off applying for probate on my father's estate as the estate value is between £5,000 and £50,000 (i.e. the assets/savings in his sole name) so we would save £215 in probate fees under the proposed new fee structure.

Seems like the secondary legislation to introduce the new fees looks like it isn't going to happen now - particularly as its a policy unlikely to be popular with an election coming up and the government no longer has a majority.

I know there are IT issues as well - but all this chaos/delays resulting from people trying to to avoid probate fee hikes which probably are never going to happen now!
    Originally posted by Rich2808
    Do you actually need Grant of Probate?
    • Robinette
    • By Robinette 24th Sep 19, 7:19 AM
    • 225 Posts
    • 201 Thanks
    Robinette
    We applied for probate online on 8 July and it was granted by the London office yesterday, so exactly 11 weeks. There were no 'stops', so the official turnaround of six to eight weeks was not met in this - and I suspect many other - instance(s).
    Last edited by Robinette; 24-09-2019 at 7:20 AM. Reason: Office added
    • Robinette
    • By Robinette 3rd Oct 19, 6:56 AM
    • 225 Posts
    • 201 Thanks
    Robinette
    Another unexpected delay - although probate was granted on 22 September, we have not yet received the certificate. Can anyone advise how long this usually takes?
    • caeracer
    • By caeracer 10th Oct 19, 11:02 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    caeracer
    Coming up to 12 weeks wait for the house we are buying now - looking at options to move in under licence before probate has been granted.
    • badger09
    • By badger09 12th Oct 19, 11:05 AM
    • 7,409 Posts
    • 6,945 Thanks
    badger09

Originally posted by Rich2808
    On BBC news this morning: Government have scrapped the proposed increase in Probate fees
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,334Posts Today

8,370Users online

Martin's Twitter