Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • steveksullivan
    • By steveksullivan 13th Jun 19, 11:36 AM
    • 238Posts
    • 55Thanks
    steveksullivan
    Tesco Interest rate
    • 13th Jun 19, 11:36 AM
    Tesco Interest rate 13th Jun 19 at 11:36 AM
    I realise its only worth peanuts, but does any one know if the Tesco rate decrease on 14th June means that today is the last day at the old rate - or is tomorrow the last day? (i.e. when to move money out.....)
Page 3
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 18th Jun 19, 10:57 PM
    • 11,373 Posts
    • 14,098 Thanks
    eskbanker
    to qualify for 1% interest, i take it we still need to do 750 pay in and 3x dd's. (Even if they are the same dd done weekly)
    Originally posted by OceanSound
    Surely that's a rhetorical question - why would anyone jump through artificial hoops to earn 1% interest when 1.5% is readily available in an easy access savings account with no strings attached (and better rates in certain other current accounts and regular savers)? Or 1.36% without even straying from Tesco....
    • harz99
    • By harz99 19th Jun 19, 10:15 AM
    • 2,937 Posts
    • 2,899 Thanks
    harz99
    Surely that's a rhetorical question - why would anyone jump through artificial hoops to earn 1% interest when 1.5% is readily available in an easy access savings account with no strings attached (and better rates in certain other current accounts and regular savers)? Or 1.36% without even straying from Tesco....
    Originally posted by eskbanker
    Or even 1.45% if the saver account was opened before the rate dropped to 1.36%...
    • OceanSound
    • By OceanSound 19th Jun 19, 12:26 PM
    • 732 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    OceanSound
    Originally posted by eskbanker
    It was.

I transferred 5600 on 15 June to my already existing tesco internet saver which pays 1.3% (kept 200 each in the current accounts just in case I need to use debit card)

some of that dough I've now transferred to the Post Office Online Saver 34 which pays 1.44%. I still won't touch Marcus with a bargepole even if it's slightly higher interest rate at 1.50% (I still remember what Goldman Sachs did to the American people).
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 19th Jun 19, 6:37 PM
    • 11,373 Posts
    • 14,098 Thanks
    eskbanker
    I still remember what Goldman Sachs did to the American people
    Are you under some sort of impression that Tesco are models of corporate probity and social responsibility?!
    • Zero Sum
    • By Zero Sum 19th Jun 19, 9:47 PM
    • 1,285 Posts
    • 1,006 Thanks
    Zero Sum
    It was.

I transferred 5600 on 15 June to my already existing tesco internet saver which pays 1.3% (kept 200 each in the current accounts just in case I need to use debit card)

some of that dough I've now transferred to the Post Office Online Saver 34 which pays 1.44%. I still won't touch Marcus with a bargepole even if it's slightly higher interest rate at 1.50% (I still remember what Goldman Sachs did to the American people).
    Cutting your nose off to spite your face there mind.

The post office savings is possibly the most user unfriendly interface ive ever used. Marcus is probably the best (savings only) ive used, and unlike most is actually instant access.
    • OceanSound
    • By OceanSound 23rd Jun 19, 11:53 AM
    • 732 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    OceanSound
    Or even 1.45% if the saver account was opened before the rate dropped to 1.36%...
    Originally posted by harz99
    I believe these tesco savings accounts mentioned have a 12 month bonus period. After that they drop to 0.55%. Similarly, marcus and post office interest rate drops after 12 months.

Best to keep an eye the end date. practice good record keeping by having entry on diary or store reminder on mobile phone calendar.

Apologies, I don't really have time to reply to all posts. Only sensible ones.
    Last edited by OceanSound; 23-06-2019 at 1:23 PM. Reason: added more detail
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,619Posts Today

8,734Users online

Martin's Twitter