Unauthorised Search

Comments

• MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,919 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Response to complaint received, this is an excerpt:

After reviewing your complaint I'm unable to agree we've made a mistake. (Not putting any more up as not relevant)

We are aware a small number of customers are querying these types of searches on their credit files which they weren't expecting. I would like to advise these types of searches are normal, as we share information the customers have previously provided to us with credit and fraud prevention agencies.

This ensures the information we hold relating to our customers' identity is up-to-date and in line with General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR). And is part of our commitment to fighting fraud and other forms of financial crime.

For your reassurance, I would also like to inform you your credit file won't be impacted.

It then goes on to say it's their final response.

Quite frankly I still think they are in the wrong as I'm not a customer and haven't been for several years!
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Response to complaint received, this is an excerpt:

After reviewing your complaint I'm unable to agree we've made a mistake. (Not putting any more up as not relevant)

We are aware a small number of customers are querying these types of searches on their credit files which they weren't expecting. I would like to advise these types of searches are normal, as we share information the customers have previously provided to us with credit and fraud prevention agencies.

This ensures the information we hold relating to our customers' identity is up-to-date and in line with General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR). And is part of our commitment to fighting fraud and other forms of financial crime.

For your reassurance, I would also like to inform you your credit file won't be impacted.

It then goes on to say it's their final response.

Quite frankly I still think they are in the wrong as I'm not a customer and haven't been for several years!

It's an interesting response but I can't help but think that they're being unnecessarily cautious RE: data protection laws.

I've certainly never heard of anyone getting in trouble for (as an example) holding an out of date address for an ex-customer if the address they hold on file is the last one the customer gave them.

Nor can I see how doing searches on old customers "helps them fight fraud and other forms of financial crime."

I suppose you could take it to the FOS and see what they have to say.
  • MovingForwards
    I am taking it to the FOS as I cannot see why a company I no longer have any dealings with need to do a search, regardless of whether it impacts my history or not. I just hope all my previous banks / building societies are going to start doing it as that's a hell of a lot I've had over the years.

I did start writing another complaint in response but after preparing one line I thought screw it, they said it's their final response so FOS it is!
  • selinek
    selinek Posts: 72 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I am taking it to the FOS as I cannot see why a company I no longer have any dealings with need to do a search, regardless of whether it impacts my history or not. I just hope all my previous banks / building societies are going to start doing it as that's a hell of a lot I've had over the years.

I did start writing another complaint in response but after preparing one line I thought screw it, they said it's their final response so FOS it is!

I haven't followed up my query yet, but on one hand its is useful to know that there doesn't seem to be ay erroneous applications. I have no problem companies making searches , but ML is something specific and usually made when applying to a financial product. Good for you in contacting IOS as their response isn't very clear. Good luck
  • MovingForwards
    selinek wrote: »
    I haven't followed up my query yet, but on one hand its is useful to know that there doesn't seem to be ay erroneous applications. I have no problem companies making searches , but ML is something specific and usually made when applying to a financial product. Good for you in contacting IOS as their response isn't very clear. Good luck

If I still had products with them I wouldn't bat an eyelid and their response would be acceptable, but when I don't and haven't for at least five years, then I don't see why they needed to do it. They don't need any information about me as a 'customer' as I'm not. It's for that reason I am taking it further.

Oddly enough no other former financial company has done it, yet, neither have any of my current companies.

I will come back and update again when I hear from the FOS :)
  • I’m pretty sure your credit files are a public record therefore could be accessed any time by an organisation even without consent?
  • MovingForwards
    !!! wrote: »
    I’m pretty sure your credit files are a public record therefore could be accessed any time by an organisation even without consent?

Technically correct if they have a legitimate interest, but in my case as a former customer I wouldn't think that applies:

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-data-protection/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/lawful-basis-for-processing/legitimate-interests/
  • MovingForward - another thing you might want to consider is serving a SAR on the bank. It might throw up something interesting.
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForward - another thing you might want to consider is serving a SAR on the bank. It might throw up something interesting.

I'm contemplating that.

I've decided the ICO are going to get a letter from me too!
  • This all seems a bit much for the sake of one ML search.

Just let it go and get on with more important things in life rather than obsessing over your credit files
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure