Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Adams18
    • By Adams18 14th Jun 19, 1:45 PM
    • 103Posts
    • 18Thanks
    Adams18
    Idea's for saving/investing in 2019?
    • 14th Jun 19, 1:45 PM
    Idea's for saving/investing in 2019? 14th Jun 19 at 1:45 PM
    Hi,

I am 30, and have saved up a fair bit in my savings account past couple of years, I've also spent the same amount on various things outside of normal expenditures.

I have 40K to my name and it's just dawned on me that this is money that depreciates in line with inflation the longer it sits in the bank. What do to do with it for a meaningful return?

5% on fixed savings accounts doesn't seem worth the hassle for me, having my money tied up somewhere for a few years, however investing in something long-term with high return (like property or shares) seems a good way to go.

I'l be able to put away around 2500 a month for savings soon, as I clear some outstanding debts and inherited mortgage to free up income.
Page 2
    • Adams18
    • By Adams18 15th Jun 19, 3:44 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Adams18
    Regarding the below...
    Whilst you are a HRT payer and are able to utilise SS then use that method for any and all pension contributions. In theory your company shouldn't have an issue with you contributing more than their matched maximum (without further company contributions) but some companies do appear to refuse it.

Only in this instance, where you have disposable income that you wish to put aside for retirement would you consider opening a separate personal pension.
    Originally posted by cloud_dog
    Fair play and noted, thank you!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,376Posts Today

8,650Users online

Martin's Twitter