PPI Tax refund help

Hi, I have paid tax on a PPI refund in August 2015, however I have chaged employer since then and also banked with a different bank to now, I am not sure I can get access to the info to reclaim the tax paid. Does HMRC hod these records please?

Comments

• BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Did you earn enough in your employment to pay tax that year? If so, no refund on the PPI tax.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    HMRC will have PAYE records yes, do remember the Personal Aavings Allowance wasn't in force in 2015 (it started 6th April 2016), you can't retrospectively apply the PSA

HMRC allow claims back with 4 years of the relevant tax year but as the rate was 20% back then for lower rate tax payers I'm not sure if you would be entitled to anything
  • bluemonday3
    bluemonday3 Posts: 229 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for your replies. Yes I was paying tax, to be honest I find all this confusing!
    So just so I understand, you cannot claim back if you were paying tax?
    I have just had a payment recently also, so does the same apply, I cannot claim the tax back?
  • Nasqueron
    Since 6th April 2016 you have (pretty much) been able to earn £1000 of interest each year tax free - from savings as well as things like a PPI refund

What I am saying is that if you were refunded in 2015 you can't ask for a refund under the PSA because it wasn't in force then

If you had a payout since then, yes you can apply for a refund of the tax on the interest element using the form R40 - make sure you only declare the interest element, not the whole PPI refund. Keep in mind also if you earned more than £1000 of interest you may end up having to pay more tax!
  • bluemonday3
    thank you for this, so I will forget the 2015 claim.
    Sorry to ask dumb questions but can I submit a claim for the this years claim even though the tax year has not ended?
    I know I won't have earned £1k in savings interest!
  • Although the savings nil rate of tax (commonly referred to as the Personal Savings Allowance) didn't exist in 2015:16 there was a different, potentially more beneficial, 0% tax rate, the savings starter rate. This allowed up to £5,000 of interest to be taxed at 0%.

But it only applies if your employment income was less than £15,600 in the 2015:16 tax year.

So you might be able to claim but it will depend on how much your job paid that year.

HMRC will know that if you cannot find your P60 for 2015:16 but you will have to know your PPI interest details.
  • bluemonday3
    Ah thank you for this. I was earning over the threshold in that year.
    Can I still claim the amounts back now for the payments received this year or do I need to wait until the end of the tax year please?
  • I think you'll have to wait until the end of the year.
  • Nasqueron
    Ah thank you for this. I was earning over the threshold in that year.
    Can I still claim the amounts back now for the payments received this year or do I need to wait until the end of the tax year please?

You can submit the form now but you will have to ensure you are not over the threshold at the end of the tax year or you'll have to do a self assessment
  • Earning £17,500 (in the current year) doesn't mean you have to complete a Self Assessment return.

If it did most of the country would be having to do one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure