Pet Insurance - Change or stay?

Hi All,

I'm trying to get my head around the intricacies of Pet Insurance.

I have a 4 year old Golden Retriever that we insure through the Kennel Club for about £39 a month for lifetime cover.I have been doing some quotes and we could get the same cover elsewhere for significantly cheaper.

However, she has been to the vets multiple times. We have NEVER claimed on our current pet insurance, but we have spent a fair bit on vets bills (our excess is quite high and we only really have the insurance for expensive items (£300+).

My question is, if my dog were to get ill with a similar illness to previously (a "pre-exisiting" condition), would my current insurer treat it as "pre-existing" (i.e. the same as a new insurer)?

If anyone can help with this that would be fantastic.

thanks!

Comments

• I would love some advice on this subject too. We have a 2 and a half-year-old rough collie and never claimed anything. Year one it cost, £22, year two it went up to £29 and the renewal for next year is £36.

I never let any insurance policy auto-renew but I have no idea how pet insurance works and this is our first policy. Do pet owners challenge the insurance renewal like other policies?
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,056 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Hi All,

I have a 4 year old Golden Retriever that we insure through the Kennel Club for about £39 a month for lifetime cover.I have been doing some quotes and we could get the same cover elsewhere for significantly cheaper.

However, she has been to the vets multiple times. We have NEVER claimed on our current pet insurance, but we have spent a fair bit on vets bills (our excess is quite high and we only really have the insurance for expensive items (£300+).

My question is, if my dog were to get ill with a similar illness to previously (a "pre-exisiting" condition), would my current insurer treat it as "pre-existing" (i.e. the same as a new insurer)?

thanks!

Contact the insurance company and ask them. Live chat or email would be better as you can keep a copy of the answer.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,056 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    I would love some advice on this subject too. We have a 2 and a half-year-old rough collie and never claimed anything. Year one it cost, £22, year two it went up to £29 and the renewal for next year is £36.

I never let any insurance policy auto-renew but I have no idea how pet insurance works and this is our first policy. Do pet owners challenge the insurance renewal like other policies?

You can try . Particularly if you can quote a lower premium from another company. But there is no guarantee.

Petplan actually advise you to cancel the policy and take out a new one online as that is usually cheaper.
    This does not work if you have had previous vet visits. Even if there was treatment given, asking the vet about a condition which is recorded on your pet's medical record counts as a pre existing condition and will be excluded by a new company unless it is one that will cover pre existing conditions under certain conditions.

If you are insured with Petplan your premiums may be higher than elsewhere but they do not increase your premium if you claim. Many companies do .

Cheaper will be for a reason so make sure you read the policy document- not the summary- carefully so you understand exactly what cover you have. A lot of complaints arise because people assume / mistake what they are covered for .
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi All,

thanks!
    If your pet has already been ill, then stay with the same insurer.

Any illness that could possibly be linked to a previous illness would be excluded from any new policy.

As long as you have a lifetime policy, then the illness you didn't claim for will still be covered when you renew
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure