I have been charged by a solicitor for a letter they sent myself ??

Comments

• bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I don't think we're getting the full story here...
    No I doubt it.

What people are not telling you here is you need to read the terms of the lease you signed, that is all the rights you have.

The lease will list everything they can do and I bet legal letters are covered in there some where.

Unannounced visits are common for one reason, to catch you unawares. This is for obvious reasons, they can't catch you selling your own spirits etc if they tell you they are coming.

he would have identified himself, just not to your liking, this will make them even more suspicious of you so expect more unannounced visits.
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    This doesn't ring true.

I can't believe that a representative of the company would try and get access behind the bar and not tell anyone who he was. When he was refused access surely he must have stated who he worked for and why he wanted access?

It also seems unusual for a solicitor to be involved due to this one incident!

This whole thing sounds very strange.
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    In a previous post of yours you mentioned contacting your insurance provider who helped you to draft up a letter with regard to a business issue (can't remember if it was the BG, EON or Sky issue...). I would recommend that you contact them again here.

If you are on good footing with the pub company (I'm imagining a franchise sort of setup here?) then surely the only reason for them getting a bit funny with you here is due to them being unable to carry out some sort of spot check?

If so, to what degree are they in the wrong VS your staff not adequately trained?

To be fair, the whole issue does sound a bit farcical even if you are omitting the odd detail, so you have a bit of sympathy from me.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Les79 wrote: »
    In a previous post of yours you mentioned contacting your insurance provider who helped you to draft up a letter with regard to a business issue
    Though in another previous post, the OP was asking about disability benefits and said he worked part-time on minimum wage. Didn't mention he owned a pub as well! All a bit odd.
  • Les79
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Though in another previous post, the OP was asking about disability benefits and said he worked part-time on minimum wage. Didn't mention he owned a pub as well! All a bit odd.

Well, I'm not 100% convinced that it is odd...

OP mentioned PIP both elements (Mobility and Daily living I presume?) and you can probably claim them whilst still working!

Plus, by virtue of the issue at hand (OP seems to have been at home during the time when staff were present and this happened), I could buy into them working 20 hours per week solely at the pub. Can't really see someone disabled owning a pub AND holding down another 20 hour PT job...

The remuneration amount does seem very iffy for an OWNER, though, and I can't see how OP would be on min wage! But maybe times are tough?
  • whiteswan
    whiteswan Posts: 168 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi - thanks for the responses so far........

I do own the business now (not always the case as I decided to take on the lease) - it's a lease I have taken on with a Pub Company - so they own the building and I pay them a rent - I am on a partial tie with the brewery - so not tied for all goods.

I have today pulled out my lease and it does indeed include a clause to say that I must give them access - however he didn't identify himself at all - he said he was from the Brewery but offered no ID whatsoever so was refused access.

I am Disabled but I also work as hard as I can for much less than minimum wage.

They seem to want access whenever they like to try and "catch" people out buying there own stock which the lease forbids.

All my bills are paid and up to date - thank you :-)

It's super difficult in the Pub Game just to keep your head above water - but I'm giving it a good try.

I have thrown it back to the Brewery and hope they decide to reverse the charges - those charges are more than I make in a week to be honest.

So I apologise for the "own" comment - it seems to have lead people astray.

Thank you so much for the responses - I was super annoyed when I read the email last night and wanted to "vent" !
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    So did you not ask for ID and then give him the opportunity to,prove it, if he couldn't eg a phone call?
    A blanket " not unless you've got ID" with no room for exploring other ways to prove who he was seems bloody rude
  • Les79
    hollydays wrote: »
    So did you not ask for ID and then give him the opportunity to,prove it, if he couldn't eg a phone call?
    A blanket " not unless you've got ID" with no room for exploring other ways to prove who he was seems bloody rude

I note that OP stated:
    OP wrote:
    A representative of the Pub Company tried to gain access behind my bar whilst I was not on the premises.

So, I suspect that one of their employees had that conversation with this person?

If so, I think OP's potential liability would be inadequate training to their staff, and not much more. That *may* extend to owing a £200 bill (though the reasons are a bit iffy).
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 June 2019 at 10:10PM
    What exactly did your member of staff say to him.
    I think if it's an accounting/ security issue, and youve been pre warned to expect spot checks,on your till , in your contract, you might be on a sticky wicket.
  • whiteswan
    whiteswan Posts: 168 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Les79 wrote: »
    I note that OP stated:

So, I suspect that one of their employees had that conversation with this person?

If so, I think OP's potential liability would be inadequate training to their staff, and not much more. That *may* extend to owing a £200 bill (though the reasons are a bit iffy).

Luckily the person who was on the bar has been there for a good number of years and knows exactly how to deal with representatives from any number of suppliers etc.

I have watched back the cctv - he appears to try and walk behind the bar whilst she is actually serving a customer - she stops him (there is no sound) - then there is an approx 15 second interaction with him and her - he doesn't produce any official id - he seems to mouth something and then walks out of the Pub.

When I spoke to her she had told him to call me - he asked for my number - she said to him if you are actually from the Brewery then you will have his number - seems quite a reasonable assumption to me to be honest.

You'd be surprised how many con men we get in the Pub.

Including fake "help for heroes" people etc along with the "i'll make sure you pay no business rates" etc
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure