Car Insurance Auto Renew

My car insurance is coming up for renewal and I've checked out the comparison sites, however I have discovered that when you purchase online most companies sign you up to auto renew and (a) don't tell you and (b) don't give you the option to opt out of this when buying online. When I phoned up a company to purchase the insurance because if I was going to phone them to opt out of auto renew I might as well do it all at the same time, they tried to charge me an extra £20 for trying to purchase the insurance over the phone. Is it legal to sign you up for something you haven't asked for?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,030
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Is it legal to sign you up for something you haven't asked for?

They offer their terms. You either accept them or you don't. There is nothing unlawful about auto-renewal.

You generally find most insurers will say they use auto-renewal in T&C.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 6,966
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    They do tell in their t and c's......most don'y bother reading them going by the volume of posts on here.
  • rosierd
    rosierd Posts: 22
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Auto-renewal is standard practice for any insurer. Say for example you were in hospital and couldn't renew your policy and your car was kept on the road. It would be uninsured and you would be liable for £1000 fine by the DVLA so it's also for your protection.
    I work in Insurance (Broker). All views are my own.
  • Aidanmc
    Aidanmc Posts: 722
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I think with auto renewal the insurer should also send a renewal notice with the quotation before the payment is taken. Mine is due next month, and Hastings said they will send a renewal notice 28 days before renewal date.
  • penners324
    penners324 Posts: 2,665
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    All car insurance companies will email you with the new quote about 28 days prior.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Effie wrote: »
    Is it legal to sign you up for something you haven't asked for?
    Yes, as long as you agree to it, which you did, it's fine.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,157
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Aidanmc wrote: »
    I think with auto renewal the insurer should also send a renewal notice with the quotation before the payment is taken. Mine is due next month, and Hastings said they will send a renewal notice 28 days before renewal date.

They do, had mine end of May, current expires 30th June.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,467
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    If autorenewal is a pain imagine what it was like 30 years ago.

Get renewal then spend the next few weeks calling brokers or insurance companies to get quotes. It used to take hours answering the same questions over and over again to half a dozen or so companies.

My insurance expires soon. Reminder sent four weeks ago, less than last year. Comparison site details were stored from last year so they emailed me updated quotes, nothing cheaper.

I now do nothing more. Autorenewal kicks in and I am continually insured.

All I had to do was read two emails.
  • Just to clarify one point about auto-renewal: it's NOT done for your benefit, it's done for the benefit of the insurance company.

I'm not saying the technique is good, bad or indifferent (I currently have it in place for motor insurance), but don't think the company is doing it out of the goodness of their hearts to stop you being uninsured; they aren't. They don't care whether you're insured or not. They use auto-renewal as inertia selling to boost sales. That's all there is to it.
  • Peter999_2
    Peter999_2 Posts: 974
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Just to clarify one point about auto-renewal: it's NOT done for your benefit, it's done for the benefit of the insurance company.

I'm not saying the technique is good, bad or indifferent (I currently have it in place for motor insurance), but don't think the company is doing it out of the goodness of their hearts to stop you being uninsured; they aren't. They don't care whether you're insured or not. They use auto-renewal as inertia selling to boost sales. That's all there is to it.

I completely agree, 100%.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport