Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 13th Jun 19, 12:06 PM
    • 2,682Posts
    • 1,001Thanks
    sevenhills
    Lodger checks?
    • 13th Jun 19, 12:06 PM
    Lodger checks? 13th Jun 19 at 12:06 PM
    I understand that when renting a house a landlord must check to see if their tenant has the right to live here.
    But was there a recent case making that requirement redundant?

I have had a lodger for only a week, and there has been a few occurrences. A 999 call for chest pains where the ambulance crew could not find anything to cause it, but he still wanted to go to hospital.
    My lodger is from India, meant to be working at a local DIY store, but he seems to like a drop of vodka instead. Although he was getting ready this morning, maybe he has turned a corner.
    I have a photo of his passport, driving license and a UK residence permit. It does say restricted work, DR/DEN, SPORTS.
    He has no beard in the photos, I donteven know if he is that person; how can I check?

He has paid one month up front, not too many issues for an easy going man like me, but just want to be prepared.

Page 1
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 13th Jun 19, 12:07 PM
    • 10,214 Posts
    • 12,378 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 13th Jun 19, 12:07 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 12:07 PM
    You're fine. You are only required to evidence you took reasonable steps. Which you have.
    • muhandis
    • By muhandis 13th Jun 19, 12:25 PM
    • 982 Posts
    • 740 Thanks
    muhandis
    • 13th Jun 19, 12:25 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 12:25 PM
    "Restricted Work No DR/DEN Train or Sportsperson" just means that the person can do any work except the fields mentioned - doctor, dentist, sportsperson.

If you've seen his passport, dl, valid BRP and taken photos, I think that's as much as you can reasonably be expected to do.

I have a photo of his passport, driving license and a UK residence permit. It does say restricted work, DR/DEN, SPORTS.
    He has no beard in the photos, I donteven know if he is that person; how can I check?

He has paid one month up front, not too many issues for an easy going man like me, but just want to be prepared.
    Originally posted by sevenhills
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 13th Jun 19, 1:07 PM
    • 2,682 Posts
    • 1,001 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 13th Jun 19, 1:07 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 1:07 PM
    "Restricted Work No DR/DEN Train or Sportsperson" just means that the person can do any work except the fields mentioned - doctor, dentist, sportsperson.

If you've seen his passport, dl, valid BRP and taken photos, I think that's as much as you can reasonably be expected to do.
    Originally posted by muhandis

The photo is years old and without the beard, I have looked at the papers/card, but I could not say who it is.

• muhandis
    • By muhandis 13th Jun 19, 1:24 PM
    • 982 Posts
    • 740 Thanks
    muhandis
    • 13th Jun 19, 1:24 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 1:24 PM
    There should be 3 photos to compare the person to - Passport, DL and BRP. Do none of the photos resemble your lodger?

The photo is years old and without the beard, I have looked at the papers/card, but I could not say who it is.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 13th Jun 19, 9:17 PM
    • 2,682 Posts
    • 1,001 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 13th Jun 19, 9:17 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 9:17 PM
    There should be 3 photos to compare the person to - Passport, DL and BRP. Do none of the photos resemble your lodger?
    Originally posted by muhandis

He looks younger and fatter in his 2016 photo, compared to the 2013 photo, he has a moustache in both photos, now he is thin with a beard.
    I haven't a clue if it's him, I would not make a good passport official.

• G_M
    • By G_M 13th Jun 19, 10:08 PM
    • 50,163 Posts
    • 62,577 Thanks
    G_M
    • 13th Jun 19, 10:08 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 10:08 PM
    Right to Rent (Mandatory checks on tenants' immigration status)

Is there a contract? Verbal or written? If so, what notice period was agreed?

Irrespective of the right to rent issue, if you are unhappy with the lodger, serve notice, evict (no court required for a lodger) and move on.

* Lodgers: advice & links for landlords & lodgers
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 14th Jun 19, 6:17 AM
    • 2,682 Posts
    • 1,001 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 14th Jun 19, 6:17 AM
    • 14th Jun 19, 6:17 AM
    Right to Rent (Mandatory checks on tenants' immigration status)

Is there a contract? Verbal or written? If so, what notice period was agreed?

Originally posted by G_M

No contract at all, he was sober today and happy today, so I am hoping he was working, since I didn't see him all day.

• G_M
    • By G_M 14th Jun 19, 11:31 AM
    • 50,163 Posts
    • 62,577 Thanks
    G_M
    • 14th Jun 19, 11:31 AM
    • 14th Jun 19, 11:31 AM
    Well there is a contract in fact- it's implied by the acceptance of rent in return for the keys!

If no notice period was agreed, then 'reasonable' notice is required. Rule of thumb:

* if rent is paid weekly, 1 week's notice.
    * if rent is paid monthly, 1 month's notice.

But other factors may be relevant. So if lodger is drunk, abusive, threatening, disruptive etc, it would be 'reasonable' to give 24 hours notice. Or less......
    • Honeylife
    • By Honeylife 20th Jun 19, 12:34 AM
    • 192 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    Honeylife
    No contract at all.
    We are in 2019 and people still not using written contracts!

Verbals are difficult to enforce and amount to only "he said she said" Tell me that you took a Deposit please.

On these Forums we have written so much on this topic.
    "... during that time you must never succumb to buying an extra piece of bread for the table or a toy for a child, no." the Pawnbroker 1964
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,637Posts Today

9,640Users online

Martin's Twitter