Options
2»

Comments

• baldelectrician
    baldelectrician Posts: 2,467 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 June 2019 at 1:27AM
    Options
    Supply and fit 14 fire rated downlights 5w. Currently there are just 2 tube lights. 14 ITEMS

Supply and fit double socket x 4 around kitchen area 4 ITEMS
    Supply fit isolator switch gas hob 2 ITEMS (switch and outlet)
    Supply and fit 4 switch grid switches 4 items
    A new 30amp supply for double oven including isolator switch 2 ITEMS
    A new light switch in current location
    Supply and fit 20w led outdoor pir light 2 ITEMS (1 for light, 1 for switch)

I reckon 28 items @ £40 = £1120

Things vary- I don't use downlights with integrated lamps- it causes decorative damage to change the whole unit but changing a lamp is OK.
    I still use fire rated downlights with replacable lamps (I use LED ones) this means that if a client changes it to a 'smart home system' then I can change the lamps if necessary to ones that are compatable rather than rip out the whole fittings and replace

Remember you can get a cheap fire rated LED fitting with integrated lamp for £5 now - the ones I use are well over double that excluding lamps

I have had fingers burnt before with integrated lamps in lights so I don't bother- I do give the client to option to go and buy their own and I will fit.

Unfortunately in parts of the UK there are 2 tiers of electrician.
    Is he / she a time served tradesperson?

Look and see if they are full scope NICEIC or ECA or only Part P.
    If they are Part P only then I would check more.

My old apprentice (age 25) is now qualified and is working in London. On a recent contract he has worked he had 20 electricians on a job.

Of those 20 'electricians' 18 were not apprentice trained but short course ones and only 2 were.
    The 2 that were time served were good and could be left to do the job but almost all of the others had to be 'baby sat' and needed constant checking.
    They asked school boy / girl questions that a 1st year apprentice should know but still wanted the full tradesperson rate

I am going off on a rant here but you get my point.
    baldly going on...
  • bigpappa
    bigpappa Posts: 293 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Supply and fit 14 fire rated downlights 5w. Currently there are just 2 tube lights. 14 ITEMS

Supply and fit double socket x 4 around kitchen area 4 ITEMS
    Supply fit isolator switch gas hob 2 ITEMS (switch and outlet)
    Supply and fit 4 switch grid switches 4 items
    A new 30amp supply for double oven including isolator switch 2 ITEMS
    A new light switch in current location
    Supply and fit 20w led outdoor pir light 2 ITEMS (1 for light, 1 for switch)

I reckon 28 items @ £40 = £1120

Things vary- I don't use downlights with integrated lamps- it causes decorative damage to change the whole unit but changing a lamp is OK.
    I still use fire rated downlights with replacable lamps (I use LED ones) this means that if a client changes it to a 'smart home system' then I can change the lamps if necessary to ones that are compatable rather than rip out the whole fittings and replace

Remember you can get a cheap fire rated LED fitting with integrated lamp for £5 now - the ones I use are well over double that excluding lamps

I have had fingers burnt before with integrated lamps in lights so I don't bother- I do give the client to option to go and buy their own and I will fit.

Unfortunately in parts of the UK there are 2 tiers of electrician.
    Is he / she a time served tradesperson?

Look and see if they are full scope NICEIC or ECA or only Part P.
    If they are Part P only then I would check more.

My old apprentice (age 25) is now qualified and is working in London. On a recent contract he has worked he had 20 electricians on a job.

Of those 20 'electricians' 18 were not apprentice trained but short course ones and only 2 were.
    The 2 that were time served were good and could be left to do the job but almost all of the others had to be 'baby sat' and needed constant checking.
    They asked school boy / girl questions that a 1st year apprentice should know but still wanted the full tradesperson rate

I am going off on a rant here but you get my point.

Thank you for your kind advice and help, it's really appreciated.

With respect to the lights - I should specify the following

1)Ip65

2)removable lamps

3)Should I go for warm white 3k or cool white 4k considering there are 14 downlights in a 12m square kitchen.

4)Would you recommend upgrading to dimmable lights or is it just a personal preference?

Is there any make of lights I should look for?
  • baldelectrician
    baldelectrician Posts: 2,467 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    bigpappa wrote: »
    Thank you for your kind advice and help, it's really appreciated.

With respect to the lights - I should specify the following

1)Ip65- no reason it is not a bathroom

2)removable lamps YES

3)Should I go for warm white 3k or cool white 4k considering there are 14 downlights in a 12m square kitchen.
    Warm white gives a more yellow light which is closer to a standard lamp.

4)Would you recommend upgrading to dimmable lights or is it just a personal preference?
    Thats why I buy ones that take seperate lamps- then you can change brand if the lamps you have do not work with a particular Alexa / Google dimmer

Is there any make of lights I should look for?

Good ones- buy branded lamps such as Philips, Osram, Sylvania, Enlite.
    baldly going on...
  • newbie1980
    newbie1980 Posts: 2,016 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Risteard wrote: »
    He clearly hasn't offered a price for the 14 downlights so his estimate was incomplete.

no1/ on my list was downlights i missed no1/out on his list though so £1000 is about right
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure