Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lizardwalker
    • By lizardwalker 13th Jun 19, 7:18 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    lizardwalker
    Bank card for cash and shop-sales only?
    • 13th Jun 19, 7:18 AM
    Bank card for cash and shop-sales only? 13th Jun 19 at 7:18 AM
    A vulnerable relative (we have attorney access to all financial affairs) is repeatedly being telephoned and asked for bank details, which they provide. We play whack-a-mole cancelling the direct debits online. Not to mention the VISA payments. We cancelled all credit cards, now using just one Debit card where we blacked out the CVV.

Bank not interested in helping us prevent repeated fraud offering us no solution. Relative still wishes to be "independant" and judged to "have capacity", but short-term memory issues mean relative is unaware of this repeated behaviour. Still capable of doing food-shopping trips.

Is there a bank card that can be used to withdraw cash from ATMs and used to pay shop purchases, but not usable for "customer not present"? Preferably one that does not have the bank account details embossed on the front.

Aware there is a larger issue here: bank services for the elderly to prevent them being ripped off by persistent scams.
Page 1
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 13th Jun 19, 7:28 AM
    • 4,969 Posts
    • 3,240 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 13th Jun 19, 7:28 AM
    • 13th Jun 19, 7:28 AM
    On the telephone front - your relative is obviously on a list - look at the call blocking where you can block all but selected numbers.

Or you could you change her phone number
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 13th Jun 19, 8:24 AM
    • 3,873 Posts
    • 2,857 Thanks
    SnowTiger
    • 13th Jun 19, 8:24 AM
    • 13th Jun 19, 8:24 AM
    A vulnerable relative (we have attorney access to all financial affairs) is repeatedly being telephoned and asked for bank details, which they provide. We play whack-a-mole cancelling the direct debits online. Not to mention the VISA payments. We cancelled all credit cards, now using just one Debit card where we blacked out the CVV.

[...]

Is there a bank card that can be used to withdraw cash from ATMs and used to pay shop purchases, but not usable for "customer not present"? Preferably one that does not have the bank account details embossed on the front.
    Originally posted by lizardwalker
    Starling Bank?

https://www.starlingbank.com/

Only my account number is printed on my card, not the sort code. The card doesn't contain enough information to set up a direct debit.

Starling's app allows you to block certain types of payment, including online payments. I guess this would prevent all card not present transactions. Perhaps someone can confirm that?

Revolut, a pre-paid card, offers similar features. As far as I'm aware it's not possible to set up a direct debit on a Revolut account.

https://www.revolut.com/

I'm not aware of any mainstream bank that offers the features you want.

Checking through the banking apps on my phone I note Barclays Bank offers a feature to block remote purchases: Internet purchases, in-app purchases, mail orders and telephone purchases. But you cannot block direct debits. I think you're unlikely to find any bank that would offer that feature. Perhaps you could obfuscate part of the sort code or account number on the card?
    • lizardwalker
    • By lizardwalker 13th Jun 19, 9:31 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lizardwalker
    • 13th Jun 19, 9:31 AM
    Phone blocking etc
    • 13th Jun 19, 9:31 AM
    Thanks for the suggestion. We have tried the call blocking - but it requires action from the relative to allow the call through. Any such "new" systems are just impossible to implement and we had to revert after complaints from callers that no-one could get through.

Changing the 'phone number will, indeed, be our last resort. The effort will be considerable though: contact all relatives, friends, service providers. It only needs the fraudsters to get through once on random dial and we will be back at square one.
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 13th Jun 19, 10:23 AM
    • 1,834 Posts
    • 1,351 Thanks
    18cc
    • 13th Jun 19, 10:23 AM
    • 13th Jun 19, 10:23 AM
    The Starling bank sort code is I would assume very easy to find

it might be better to open a NatWest account where the account number is not printed on the card. If your relative is happy not to know the account number then a direct debit cannot be set up of course

Also scratch off the CVV number on the back. the card can still be used for contactless and chip and pin but not knowing the account number and not knowing the CVV will limit its other functionality

If you also want to limit contactless then NatWest can give you the debit card with contactless disabled so the only way it can be used as chip and pin
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 13th Jun 19, 10:25 AM
    • 1,834 Posts
    • 1,351 Thanks
    18cc
    • 13th Jun 19, 10:25 AM
    • 13th Jun 19, 10:25 AM
    Starling does indeed allow you quite a lot of control over the card for example you can turn off internet payments and only have ATM withdrawals or shopping

also if you put the Starling app on your mobile phone you can be notified in real-time of anything happening such as direct debits being set up or money taken etc
    • d123
    • By d123 13th Jun 19, 12:18 PM
    • 8,055 Posts
    • 5,259 Thanks
    d123
    • 13th Jun 19, 12:18 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 12:18 PM
    The Starling bank sort code is I would assume very easy to find
    Originally posted by 18cc
    The Starling details arenít embossed, it would be very easy to scrape the account number off.

And to confirm, you can also lock the card down to only allow card present transactions.

====
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 13th Jun 19, 12:25 PM
    • 13,405 Posts
    • 16,220 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 13th Jun 19, 12:25 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 12:25 PM
    Nationwide (and others) have savings accounts which come with a card that is for cash withdrawals only. (It still looks like a Debit Card, but it isn't).

In Nationwide's case, the card can only be used in Nationwide cash machines and branches, which may be too restrictive. Other providers' offers may be more flexible. Compared to some other solutions, it is free to operate, though.

I think this is a huge issue, and it's disappointing that all the Banks seem very reluctant to help.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 13-06-2019 at 12:28 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • badger09
    • By badger09 13th Jun 19, 12:34 PM
    • 7,409 Posts
    • 6,945 Thanks
    badger09
    • 13th Jun 19, 12:34 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 12:34 PM
    Nationwide (and others) have savings accounts which come with a card that is for cash withdrawals only. (It still looks like a Debit Card, but it isn't).

In Nationwide's case, the card can only be used in Nationwide cash machines and branches, which may be too restrictive. Other providers' offers may be more flexible. Compared to some other solutions, it is free to operate, though.

I think this is a huge issue, and it's disappointing that all the Banks seem very reluctant to help.
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    But those cards can't be used to pay for shopping. It sounds like a prepaid card would be safest in these circumstances.
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 13th Jun 19, 3:33 PM
    • 4,849 Posts
    • 1,592 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    I would suggest Revolut.

It doesn't have GBP D/D facilities and has various settings to disable card functionality such Internet CNP transactions.
    • Terry Towelling
    • By Terry Towelling 13th Jun 19, 3:42 PM
    • 1,966 Posts
    • 1,655 Thanks
    Terry Towelling
    It might sound daft but could you create a large notice and place it next to the phone to remind the relative not to give out any bank details when on the phone.

Alternatively, could one of you have your mobile phone number applied to the account and then enable text message warnings for any direct debit set-ups and any new payee set-ups?
    • Murmansk
    • By Murmansk 13th Jun 19, 5:53 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    Murmansk
    I've not actually read it but this might contain some useful info

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/documents/en-gb/for-professionals/policy/money-matters/report_age_friendly_banking.pdf?dtrk=true
    • snilloct1957
    • By snilloct1957 13th Jun 19, 6:16 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 214 Thanks
    snilloct1957
    If your relative is being targeted by scammers, it won't be long before they get the notion that there is real money to be made here. I'm talking about getting enough information from phone calls to her to get details of her house and other assets. It would be a good idea to set up a Property Alert with the Land Registry, a free service that lets you know if someone is in the process of applying for a mortgage/loan against her property. You can set one up for a vulnerable relative who is at risk of being duped, and you don't have to be the houseowner.

The Land Registry website has all the details.
    Last edited by snilloct1957; 14-06-2019 at 7:37 AM.
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 13th Jun 19, 7:34 PM
    • 2,387 Posts
    • 5,278 Thanks
    Zanderman
    Why not take away the current account debit card and supply instead a pre-paid debit card?

And top it up as needed, keeping, say, 75 to 100 on it.

Can still go shopping, just can't get taken for (much of) a ride by phone scammers.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,279Posts Today

8,136Users online

Martin's Twitter