On a Mission

Comments

• enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Well done on paying off almost 50% while still on maternity leave and glad your twins are coping without you on your Kit days. Hopefully nursery costs wont cripple you with two little ones. I assume your toddler gets her free hours?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • What an amazing update to read. You really are an inspiration.

Wish.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • Mummy_bear
    Mummy_bear Posts: 604 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 25 May 2019 at 4:18PM
    Wow has it really been this long? In my head I thought I'd written an update within the the first week of May. I literally refreshed my diary a few times thinking my clearly imaginary post would appear :o

Mmmm

OK, on to general updates. Tornado toddler has settled into full time pre school like a dream. She's such a confident child. No tears or fears. In fact its calmed her down. Just what she needed.

The twins are 11 months old. Very different personalities but both extremely cheeky. They now full on crawl and have started precariously cruising along furniture. They get into way more trouble than my singletons ever did. Nothing is safe.

We're going to start our journey towards home improvements soon. First job is our garden, particularly the fencing which will not last another windy winter. I'd contacted a few companies to obtain quotes. All but one didn't get back to me. The one that did failed to turn up at the agreed time to provide a quote. Quite surprised with this. However, it's probably done us a favour. We've had a proper look at what needs doing. Our fence posts are concrete and in good condition so in reality it's really only the fence panels that need replacing along with the tall garden gate. Therefore we're going to do it ourselves at a fraction of the cost. What we save will be put towards a new bathroom suite. The only thing against us is finding the time!

We've made a decision not to get another car. During the periods when I'm working and hubby is off he'll just take me and collect me with the kids. It makes better sense finacially and I'm happy hubby came to that conclusion himself.

Totals as of 25th May

HSBC CC £4195 £130 paid off
    MBNA CC £3250.50 £62 paid off
    Tesco Loan £5533.04 £213.04 paid off
    Santander Loan £3264.45 £155.45 paid off
    M&S Loan £4498 £155.12
    DH MBNA CC £2864.85 £150 paid off

Total debt as of 30th April £24477.88
    Total debt as of 25th May £23612.27
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Monthly Challenge

Earn £25 payable from survey sites

£0/£25

VO is now up to £10.10
    PA currently has £15.54 payable and £0.15 pending.
    Onepoll currently has £28.20 in there. getting through a few of these. Inching closer to the £40 cashout threshold
    Yougov currently has 75 points in there. Cashed out the £50 earlier this month.
    E.Rewards currently has 5000 points in there.
    Qmee has £0.75 in there .(February cashout so far £0)

Pay off £850 from debt £865.61/ £850 :T

To list 10 new things on 3bay
    0/10

MB
    My LBM May 2017, DH LBM July 2017- Total Debt (not Including Mortgage) £46444.23 :eek:
    £40773.61 /£46444.23 87.8% paid
  • Mummy_bear
    Signature update to reflect the end of May figures

Almost at 50% paid

£21966.35/£46444.23! 47.3% paid
    My LBM May 2017, DH LBM July 2017- Total Debt (not Including Mortgage) £46444.23 :eek:
  • Mummy_bear
    Morning,

Yesterday marked 2 years since I started this diary. Wow, just wow. I may not be an avid writer in here but I'm happy to report I've always continued to pay down our debts.

I updated my signature this morning to reflect payments paid up until the end of may. That shows a total of 47.3% paid off :eek: a shocking £21996.35 :o This both disgusts me and makes me proud. I truly dread to think where we would be if we'd still been paying minimums. I really don't think we've given up too much in order to overpay.

It has helped that DH is earning £5k more a year than when we embarked on this debt busting journey. But of course that has been a turbulent journey getting there.
    We've had surprise twins along this journey and still continued to overpay and save to allow me to have over a year off work with the babies. Previously, with my singletons I had to return to work when they were 10 months old.

I've learned good habits. I now have different saving pots. One for Xmas and birthdays. One for school relat ed items -uniform, shoes, trips etc. One for annual bills, emergency fund, home improvements and car/bike maintenance. I meal plan every week without fail, I recommend this so much. I go shopping with a list. and shop at Adl1. I was watching a recent episode of shop well for less and the family was spending a week what we spend a month :eek:I actually can't get my head round this. Our cupboards are always full, we wouldn't have storage enough to spend those shocking amounts a month. However, I really do believe that cooking meals from scratch saves alot and certainly no separate meals for each child!

Anyway onto this month's figures so far

Totals as of 5th June

HSBC CC £4065 £130 paid off
    MBNA CC £3178 £72.5 paid off
    Tesco Loan £5533.04
    Santander Loan £3264.45
    M&S Loan £4342.88 £155.12
    DH MBNA CC £2714.85 £150 paid off

Total debt as of 25th May £23612.27
    Total debt as of 5th June £23104.65
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Monthly Challenge

Earn £25 payable from survey sites

£0/£25

VO is now up to £10.10
    PA currently has £21.29 payable and £5.38 pending.
    Onepoll currently has £28.20 in there. getting through a few of these. Inching closer to the £40 cashout threshold
    Yougov currently has 585 points in there.
    E.Rewards currently has 5000 points in there.
    Qmee has £0.75 in there .(June cashout so far £0)

Pay off £850 from debt £507.62/ £850

To list 10 new things on 3bay
    1/10

MB
  • Hey MB.
    Great totals there. Which debt are you targeting for overpayments at the moment? And, do you have a debt free date? Is it another 2 years to do the second 50% or will it be quicker?

Your posts are great. Please keep posting.
  • Mummy_bear
    Hey MB.
    Great totals there. Which debt are you targeting for overpayments at the moment? And, do you have a debt free date? Is it another 2 years to do the second 50% or will it be quicker?

Your posts are great. Please keep posting.

Hi Wishing.
    At the moment we're over paying all the credit cards.
    DHs card is set at an amount which means it'll clear within the interest free period.
    My HSBC one is set at £130 a month as the first payment was something like £126. The minimum payment has now something like £113 but I'm just keeping it at £130.
    My MBNA is the one I'll be tackling full force from July as the interest free period ends next June. From July I'll be chucking at least 350 a month at it.

I haven't fully calculated my debt free date yet but it will definitely be in less than 2 years. Might sit down later and have a play around with figures to see what it could be.

However, we're aiming to put our house on the market from Jan 2021 so not sure how that will impact things.

MB
  • Mummy_bear
    Today I decided to use a snowball calculator to see what the DFD date would be.

It came up as April 2021. Therefore, less than 2 years to go. It seems both ages away and not that far off. I really hope I can get that DFD down

MB
  • Of course you can. You are super mum!
  • Mummy_bear
    edited 14 June 2019 at 7:16PM
    Today is my first full pay since November. Such a healthy looking bank account.

Today is also the day I've finally paid off my student loan :T:T:j:j:beer:

Looking forward to seeing how I'll clear now that I don't have £155 deducted each month.Took longer to pay off due to all the Mat leave I've taken over the years :rotfl:
    Honestly it is such a weight lifted, didn't realise how much it must've affected me despite it being one of the debts not to worry about so much.

[STRIKE]Received an email last night from circle stating they're closing their service down. It therefore looks like future PA payments will be have to be with PayPal and therefore a fee will be paid :( That's a shame. Just cashed out £30 odd from PA yesterday. The email stated that once I withdraw my funds from circle to my bank account my Circle account will automatically close.
    [/STRIKE] Quite possibly fake news
    Today's plans include going into the local town and seeing if my favourite pair of boots can be salvaged at the shoe repair shop. The heel has come off. I'd rather not have to buy a new pair.

Anyways bye for now
    MB
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure