Tiscali dial up help please

Hi everyone just signed up to one month free trial anytime dial up with tiscali buth teh telephone number for isp is 1470 0808 9933031 do you think this is correct?I have talk talk on my phone will I pay more?Do I have to put another code in front?Why does the number start with 1470?Is Sunil out there?Thanks :)
half scottish half italian :100%moneysaver

Comments

• gary38uk
    gary38uk Posts: 476 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    i think you should just dial 0808 9933031
    this is a freephone number so you should not be charged for it, it will not appear on any bill.

why are you adding 1471?
    this is the number to see whos called last.
  • scheming_gypsy
    scheming_gypsy Posts: 18,410 Forumite
    1470 is the CLI release key for when you're ex-directory.

you should be able to just use the 0808 without the 1470
  • gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,626 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    1470 means that the ISP always sees the telephone number you are dialing from.

Many ISP's insist that they know the telephone number/CLI you are dialing from - otherwise they won't let you connect (as they only let you connect from your registered number as a "security measure") or won't give you full access (i.e. you can't send be able to send email if they don't know your telephone in case you send spam)

Most people don't need to dial it - but some people have asked their telco to withhold their number from people they call as the default setting... (i.e. they have effectly asked their telco to put 141 before each call)

1470 overrides this setting (on a per call basis) so the ISP always knows who it is - if you know you don't withold CLI you can delete the 1470 part or just leave it - it makes no difference - ISP's just include it in their "default" settings for those other customers who normally withold CLI

The actual number is 0808 and you will be charged that (freephone) regardless of whether you include it or not.

1471 tells you who called last.. (unless they have withheld the number!)

Regards
    Sunil
  • gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,626 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    1470 is the CLI release key for when you're ex-directory.

1470 is the code to show CLI..

However, its not related to being ex-directory at all.

Most ex-directory people do not withold CLI and several people who are listed in the telephone directory withhold CLI when making calls by default...

Regards
    Sunil
  • gary38uk
    gary38uk Posts: 476 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    sorry, i did read the post wrong.
    yes u do need to dial 1470 if you have got your number id blocked, if not no need to add 1470
  • lucylou
    lucylou Posts: 1,036 Forumite
    thanks to everyone who answered .,especially the GURU gt94sss2 Sunil ;D.Yes I am ex directory so should I put 1470 in front of the 0808 number or not.Tha's the number which showed on tiscali website :)
  • scheming_gypsy
    scheming_gypsy Posts: 18,410 Forumite

1470 is the code to show CLI..

However, its not related to being ex-directory at all.

Most ex-directory people do not withold CLI and several people who are listed in the telephone directory withhold CLI when making calls by default...

Regards
    Sunil

i just did a search for Tiscali + 1470 on Google then copied in somesort of hungover fashion
  • Smartasss
    Smartasss Posts: 873 Forumite
    lucylou asked:
    should I put 1470 in front of the 0808 number or not

Putting 1470 in won't make any difference to your phone bill - it will still be a free call.

Tiscali need to know that you are only connecting from your registered phone line, and by putting 1470 in first that allows them to see which number has called them.

(It is nothing to do with ex-directory numbers)

In short, following the Tiscali instructions won't do any harm, but not following them may mean you won't be connected to Tiscali's ISP.
  • lucylou
    lucylou Posts: 1,036 Forumite
    Thanks Sunil as always you're A STAR ;D ;D ;D
    Regards Lucy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts