Council Tax Cost Cutting: reduce your band and grab any discounts Discussion Area

Comments

• I contacted the VOA and got a swift and blunt response ignoring information I'd provided using the calculators on mse to calculate the 1991 price and stating that I've provided them of no evidence of actual sale prices around 1991. Back to the drawing board!
  • Can anyone help please im trying to see if we are on the correct band. Our house is a new build purchased in 2001, how would i find out the correct purchase price for how our band was worked out. There are several houses on our estate very similar to ours but vary in tax bands. I have written to the VOA and found out our house size in m2 but have no way of finding out other house information due to the privacy act i was informed. I was informed there was one other property wtihin a two mile radius like ours on a lower band than us. But unfortunately this is the only information they would give me. Can anyone assist in pointing me in the right direction . Thank you in advance.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,640 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    princess - where houses are built after April 1991, the VOA will usually try to compare them with houses of a similar type and size built before that date where there is relevant sales information. If you can get a copy of the developer's brochure for the estate, it would be possible to calculate the sizes of the other houses.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Thank you but is there anyway of getting a copy of this from so long ago? Sorry for sounding so stupid but I have no idea where to start.
  • lincroft1710
    Perhaps one of your neighbours still has one, the developers may still have one.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Hello, I am in the process of preparing to go before the tribunal after my council tax band was increased. I live in a small village where there was a distinct lack of properties for sale in 1991. The vast majority of the ones that the listing officer has used to justify their banding were new builds. I have dug out an advert from the local newspaper from 1991 that shows the prices of the new builds went up to £167,000 (newspaper was in April) this is above the £160,000 threshold so places the property in Band G , however the advert also mentions that carpets and curtains are included as well as part exchange as incentives. Could this be used to argue the case that the price should be lower to reflect the cost of these? And I'm guessing the cost of providing the NHBC warranty. Whereas the size of the example properties may be similar, they have much larger gardens (three or four times larger) and more parking. I have also found an older property that matches number of bedrooms, bathrooms, etc - slightly smaller than my own (by 10 square metres) but wasn't on sale in 1991 - would there be any negatives in including it in my case if it wasn't on sale? As far as I can tell it's band hasn't changed since council tax came into force. Any thoughts gratefully received!
  • lincroft1710
    Including a property 10 sq m smaller than your own and in a lower band isn't really helpful to your case. If the newspaper ad is after Apr 1991, again not so helpful to your case.
  • Hello, the newspaper advert is from 7th April 1991. The smaller property would been built pre-1991 (probably by quite some time) and is located at the other end of the village. It's the same sort of house, detached, same number of bedrooms, same number of bathrooms, same number of reception rooms, just as I say 10 square metres smaller (at approx 175 square metres). Funnily enough it was sold nine months after I purchased mine for £75,000 more than what I paid for mine.
  • lincroft1710
    So why did a 10 sq m smaller house sell for £75K more than yours, 9 months later? What are the month/year and sale prices?
  • Hello, my property is a new build which I brought for 368k in November 2005. The older property has a much larger garden and went for 440K In December 2006. Sorry it's a bit over a year as I reserved it while it was being built (I was thinking of the moving in date). I'm not to fussed about the price difference. - I am glad it's more obviously - but I'm more interested in the fact that it's a very good match for the number of rooms and size ( 10 square metre over two floors so around five square metres per floor) and it's in the lower band.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback