Property Rent on Credit Report

Options
I would like to now how to get my rent reported on my Credit Report. Is it worth it to make it look better? I've never missed a payment.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    No, not particularly.
  • nyermen
    nyermen Posts: 1,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Rent isn't a credit agreement and so wouldn't be expected to appear on a credit report unless you borrowed to pay it.
    Added note (as someone who has been previously involved in credit scoring models) - "scores" are unique to lenders normally (unless they buy a tacky cheap model from an agency), and are very varied - and none i've been involved with have been interested in such payments. They normally look at eg. negative history (eg. missed payments), general behaviour of credit facilities, and total debt numbers.
    Peter

Debt free - finally finished paying off £20k + Interest.
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    From a 2018 MSE article:
    Millions of tenants could see their credit score boosted as their rental payment information will now be included on their credit report.

Private renters and social housing tenants can opt in to the free Rental Exchange Initiative which records your rental payments on your Experian credit file. The scheme's actually been running in the background (for those who've already signed up) for more than two years with 1.2 million renters' payments already recorded, but only now are those payments visible in people's files - and of course, this applies to any new joiners.

[...]

The Rental Exchange scheme was launched by credit reference agency Experian and The Big Issue Group in March 2016 as a way of allowing tenants to build up a credit history and ultimately improve their credit rating by paying their rent on time each month.

More info here, here and here.
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It might help get a mortgage in the future. It's hard to predict.

Can you think of any reason not to?
  • Fergsteris007
    Options
    I bank with Starling and they have partnered with a company called CreditLadder that apparently now record your rent as part of your credit score. Just signed up with them for free so will see if it makes a difference
  • Fergsteris007
    Options
    Sorry meant to say that my initial response was per @SnowTigers post
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I bank with Starling and they have partnered with a company called CreditLadder that apparently now record your rent as part of your credit score. Just signed up with them for free so will see if it makes a difference

Experian use The Rental Exchange, but landlords/HA's etc have to sign up to it
  • Fergsteris007
    Options
    !!! wrote: »
    Experian use The Rental Exchange, but landlords/HA's etc have to sign up to it

Will check them out . Thanks
  • catgotmytongue
    Options
    So it can be as easy as opening an account with Starling and using that just for rent? I’ll give it a go then. Thanks.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    So it can be as easy as opening an account with Starling and using that just for rent? I’ll give it a go then. Thanks.

You don't even need a Starling account - you can do it with any current account.

The join-up process is with Credit Ladder directly - Starling are merely marketing/advertising/promoing them via their app.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure