The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Soundproofing bedroom wall options and current quote

Good Evening,

I want a bedroom wall soundproofed due to noise from the party wall in the bedroom. We can hear her coughing, talking or the TV on, kids laughing, banging or even plugs being put into sockets as can they from our side of the wall and god forbid anyone gets a little too excitable! It's causing issues with a decent sleep and neither us or the neighbor are particularly noisy in terms of banging music, it is just noise from going about your business.

I have mentioned to her the noise on one occasion because of he dog yapping but I can't see hers or our noise being much easier to control. We are borderline neighbourly, in that we say the occasional hello and she's not particularly difficult but often my suggestions, hints and offers to help clear the forever mounting tip yard she has created in both gardens, the yapping dog she never seems to take for the walk and the waft of the dog poo that we often have to endure due to the extent of it in her back garden (no grass), seems to fall on death ears.

So, in order to salvage my mental wellbeing I want to get some soundproofing done on the bedroom wall. (I hope to extend this to the adjoining bedroom wall once we have tried it out and accumulated the money again).

I think it's best to explain the building layout, it's a 3 bedroom mid terraced house in a row of 4. My neighbor on the other side being the end run but the neighbor in question being also a mid. Between us we share and alley way leading into our back gardens, the bedrooms overlap each other; so her front bedroom is over the alley from her side, but my daughters back bedroom runs parallel with hers but overlaps from our side. I don't remember ever hearing noise downstairs but a previous neighbor remarked humurously once that she could hear is turning off the TV switches in the living room (next to alleyway) when we went to bed. The noise does seem to vibrate or echo especially when it's a banging noise.

The houses are ex-council built in the late 50's with concrete wall (I think) and Cornish style roof.

I have been advised by someone could do this cheaply with some batons, sound insulation and plaster board and get someone in to plaster.

I have also been in touch with a company who have given me a break down of options with quotes.

Please can someone give me advise on what I should be looking for, should I get the professionals, how much sound can I reduce, is it a fair price and feedback from anyone who has had it done or what you have done.

The contractors email:

As discussed I need to achieve 3 qualities within my independent stud wall

1) Absorption = 60kg Acoustic mineral wool
2) Resilience = Springiness from resilient bar or Genie/mute clips
3) Density = 19mm acoustic plank & 15mm sound board

Upgrade = The acoustic membrane is an upgrade between the plank &
sound board which will uplift the performance of you wall by 8db if
specified.

Due to the build type of house I would only recommend the Genie/Mute Clip as
the performance levels of the existing party wall will probably not be upto
40db. I would also consider looking at the floor which could either be
insulated or/and over boarded with a high density db board.

We discussed a party wall and I priced a 3m x 2.4m wall which is a typical
square meterage for an average bedroom.

3m x 2.4m = 7.2m sq

Costs

Independent stud wall- Resilient bar = £960.00 + vat

Independent stud Wall - Genie/Mute Clip = £1200.00 + vat

Acoustic membrane = £280.00 + vat

All prices include labour, materials and are plus vat at 5%.

The above costings are an estimate, I will confirm or change the priceing
after a site visit.

Thanks for reading.
Oh I do want to live in Countryside.......with the kids, pets and LOTS of books.........
£2020 in 2020 challenge #90 - £274.37/£2020
2020 penny challenge

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family