NatWest £125 switch incentive

Comments

• Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    pmatt wrote: »
    OK, now I am complaining.

Just called them to ask what my account number is. That seems to be the last piece in the jigsaw of getting online banking up and running.

The guy said he couldn't tell me. I'd have to go into a branch to find out.

That is frankly ridiculous.

Phone again, and the chances are that you'll get another person who will, as others on this thread have attested, give you the detail that you require.
  • CGG
    CGG Posts: 746 Forumite
    My OH had exactly the same! When he explained on the phone why he was calling, he was met with "I can't verify who you are without first knowing your account and sort code'.
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,901 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    xylophone wrote: »
    Do you have another account that you can switch (or are you willing and able to open one)?

If so, the offer is open to you.
    Steve_xx wrote: »
    You could benefit if you were to switch a non-Natwest account to your existing one!
    Thank you for your replies. I have several other current accounts but they are either earning interest, required for regular savings accounts or both.

I could open a donor account to switch but I am uncomfortable with doing this. This is perhaps illogical and I am turning down an offer of £125 of easy money but that's my choice.

As I said before, my only gripe is that thousands are getting £125 and loyal NatWest customers are getting nothing. Just because I could get the £125 doesn't disbar me from objecting to it.
  • Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    RG2015 wrote: »
    I could open a donor account to switch but I am uncomfortable with doing this. This is perhaps illogical and I am turning down an offer of £125 of easy money but that's my choice.

You've answered your own question, ie you don't want. You've made a choice and others have made theirs.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,339 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Just called them to ask what my account number is. That seems to be the last piece in the jigsaw of getting online banking up and running.

See post 226
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5772997&page=12

but have checked again with relative and he says that a letter came this morning telling him his account was open which had the account number.

This was a replica of a letter he found in in his electronic in box once he managed to get into the account.....

However, no activation code has been received.

He has ordered a card reader but says he has one already from another bank which he'll try after a day or two.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forgive me if this has already been discussed, but I don't have time to read 44 pages . . .
    At the top of the page there are search tools, usually quite useful in this kind of situation.
    Is it me, or is the NatWest process insanely complicated?
    You didn't try opening a Birmingham Midshires savings account then? ;)
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    kaych wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the account needs to 'by 16 February', does it include the 16th? We are buying at the moment and don't want to open the account in case it affects our mortgage. It is possible that we will complete on the 16th Feb and just want to check if we will still be eligible for the switch offer if we apply on the 16th Feb?
    Obviously it is up to you whether to take the risk or not, but if you are completing on the 16th I would expect everything the mortgage company would be checking on to have been done and dusted before then. If they are waiting until the day you complete to carry out a credit check then you possibly have greater things to worry about ;)

There is also usually a delay between searches being carried out and them appearing in your credit histories. Often banks only supply data once a month. If you applied for an account on the 15th it is improbable the mortgage company would know about it on the 16th.

Personally I wouldn't leave it till the 16th if you really want the offer - the application process is flaky and there is a chance it won't work properly on the 16th, especially if there is a last-minute rush. NatWest may honour the offer for people who have attempted to apply on or before the 16th, but none of us know.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,536 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    xylophone wrote: »
    I know - I should remember what my old grannie used to say "Self praise is no recommendation...":rotfl:

The joke is that I was going to quote that very phrase- but thought it a bit cheeky!!
    (Light relief from NatWest shenanigans!!)
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks
    -Stash busting: 337 in 2022
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 24 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 58 £61 spent!!! already
  • Katiehound
    Is it me, or is the NatWest process insanely complicated?

I'd like to say- it is just you! but if you trawl through this long thread you will see that a Select number suffer the same way! (Notice my use of select wisely) Maybe if you choose the Reward a/c you get a more rewarding experience!!
    It's now 3 weeks since I started the process.............
    Many thanks
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 24 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 58 £61 spent!!! already
  • Katiehound
    OK, now I am complaining.

The guy said he couldn't tell me. I'd have to go into a branch to find out.

That is frankly ridiculous.

Well I certainly was told both the sort code and the account number over the phone. I had my application number and I guess there were some security questions..... like dob
    You might try the other helpline number- there is one for current a/cs and one for switching- the current a/cs is 0345 3030 299- can't find the other.
    Many thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure