£67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed....

Options

Comments

• Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,378 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 April 2018 at 7:08AM
    Options
    Just thinking out loud... If you currently put aside £285pm (affordable), how much "loan" can you get from a High Street lender for those sorts of repayments level. What does it buy you? Is in enough for the difference between Mum and total expected cost?

I'm sure someone with knowledge of the loan market (and with better maths than me) will be able to tell you. As i have no idea what good rates are available at the mo.

*EDIT*
    Actually, just had a quick Google, and for example Zopa loans have £16,000 over 5 years @ 2.9%, which costs £286pm. Would this be enough??
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    We'd be looking to borrow over 10yrs. By my maths we should be able to borrow £25k, as we can reduce CC payments down to minimums. It's still going to be tight though, for the 'best case' design. We're waiting to see what the architect says to our more specific. budget restrictions next week (we have set different limits on different sizes of extension, as the smallest option might not make the house work for us for the long term, so it needs to be cheaper so we can save to further improve or move).
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Sea_Shell
    Options
    Thanks for the info.

When planning the fixtures and fittings for the extension (especially kitchens and bathrooms) do you think you'll be able to reign in your "have the best" tendencies...and instead go for the nice, but practical (and cheaper) approach. The decisions made there can make £000's difference to your final costs. We know how you love your design etc. We only have to remember "Washing-up-bowl-gate"!!!:rotfl: - But we also know you've made HUGE changes since then.:beer:
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    Thanks for the info.

When planning the fixtures and fittings for the extension (especially kitchens and bathrooms) do you think you'll be able to reign in your "have the best" tendencies...and instead go for the nice, but practical (and cheaper) approach. The decisions made there can make £000's difference to your final costs. We know how you love your design etc. We only have to remember "Washing-up-bowl-gate"!!!:rotfl: - But we also know you've made HUGE changes since then.:beer:
    I think I'll have to! At least that stage will come at the end when the budget will be just down to 'whatever is left', so it's not going to be about anything more than working with the money that's there. We all know I'm going to struggle with the reality of that though. :cool:
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Sea_Shell
    Options
    I think I'll have to! At least that stage will come at the end when the budget will be just down to 'whatever is left', so it's not going to be about anything more than working with the money that's there. We all know I'm going to struggle with the reality of that though. :cool:

We found it's the little things that really add up, like taps, sockets, lighting etc.
    Plus things like tiles...sky's the limit with those blighters!!
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just had a quick look at my BS (Skippy one) and their additional borrowing for existing customers offers a five year fixed rate 90% option that would work out at £280 repayments against £28k over ten years (but the payment might increase after five years if interest rates rise as predicted after the first five years).

The only thing that worries me is your reference to minimum payments on other debts. It means you are looking at this from the affordability of the debt and not the plan to clear it. If interest rates do increase, you could be in trouble. Big trouble. Your Mum's £20k will need a repayment too. How much are you planning to pay monthly on that?

Would you be willing to set out your unsecured debt that you currently have (with the interest rates and duration of these)? To see if we can help with ideas for reducing and eroding these to give you a bit more to put in or keep in hand
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Just had a quick look at my BS (Skippy one) and their additional borrowing for existing customers offers a five year fixed rate 90% option that would work out at £280 repayments against £28k over ten years (but the payment might increase after five years if interest rates rise as predicted after the first five years).

The only thing that worries me is your reference to minimum payments on other debts. It means you are looking at this from the affordability of the debt and not the plan to clear it. If interest rates do increase, you could be in trouble. Big trouble. Your Mum's £20k will need a repayment too. How much are you planning to pay monthly on that?

Would you be willing to set out your unsecured debt that you currently have (with the interest rates and duration of these)? To see if we can help with ideas for reducing and eroding these to give you a bit more to put in or keep in hand
    It is a worry, I am basically relying on the fact that we can keep paying the debts down quickly enough that we can keep ahead of any interest rate changes (ie the minimum payment will be low enough that an interest rate rise won't cripple us). I am also, although I hate hate hate the idea, aware that once we have borrowed for the extension, it isn't such a crisis if we end up on a DMP or similar, as we won't be borrowing any more EVER AGAIN.

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but will do a post with rough numbers in a sec.
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Current debts

I do have the numbers...

Unsecured
    Parental loan £20,000 (no min, no interest, no current repayments)
    Barclaycard £11,345.77 (0% until Sept '18, anticipating being able to shift to another 0% at that stage as won't have borrowed for extension yet, minimum payment £260 last month, paying £285 per month at statement time, with around a £30 overpayment every month since Jan, so £315)
    Virgin £2,808.71 (0% until Sept '20 or thereabouts, min payment £28, only making minimum but will keep it at £28 as min reduces).

Secured
    Mortgage £193,009.83 (2.99%-ish, 2 year fixed, expires Jan '20, £708.67 per month, this is approx 85% LTV).

My current thought process is that we will continue to pay as much as possible for now, while saving for ongoing costs such as structural engineer, architect, planning, building regs, then our ideal plan is:
    - Get a tighter price estimate from the architect over the coming week, and proceed if the numbers make some sort of sense.
    - New 0% in Sept '18 for barclaycard balance.
    - By Jan '19 have CC debt reduced so that minimum repayments are closer to £200pm total.
    - Borrow £20,000 from my mother in early '19 when building work commences. Small interest/debt repayment, £50-100pm.
    - Borrow large personal loan (c.£25,000) in spring '19 to continue to cover costs.
    - Finish shell work and as much interior as possible by Sept '19
    - Remortgage in January '20 to incorporate as much of this new debt as possible, as the house value will have increased due to the improvements.
    - Borrow another £10k if necessary in '20 to finish off any work not yet done (possibly kitchen, we may have a temporary one bodged from old units for a year to keep initial costs down while we repay more debt)
    - Prioritise remaining debts in interest-rate order, including some repayment for old parental loan, even if it's tiny.
    - Never borrow ever ever ever again, stay in that house for the rest of time.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I don't think you should be going into further borrowing thinking a DMP will be your get out of jail card.A DMP won't take account of any repayments for family debt so if your mum lends you £20k and you already have £20k family debt that is £40k which cannot be sorted with a DMP. Are you willing to default on a loan from your mum when she has said she needs you to make repayments? If you are going to take out a large unsecured loan then defaulting on that may mean that they will go for a second charge on your property. At the present time though I think you may fail the affordability checks for this anyway.

A DMP will also affect your mortgage so as your mortgage is now quite high this will mean significant increases if you no longer qualify for good interest rate deals.

My advice would be to continue to save as much as possible and repay the credit cards down by a bit more than minimums. Upping your income significantly though and paying off your credit cards is realistically the only way I can see you affording this extension.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    I don't think you should be going into further borrowing thinking a DMP will be your get out of jail card.A DMP won't take account of any repayments for family debt so if your mum lends you £20k and you already have £20k family debt that is £40k which cannot be sorted with a DMP. Are you willing to default on a loan from your mum when she has said she needs you to make repayments? If you are going to take out a large unsecured loan then defaulting on that may mean that they will go for a second charge on your property. At the present time though I think you may fail the affordability checks for this anyway.

A DMP will also affect your mortgage so as your mortgage is now quite high this will mean significant increases if you no longer qualify for good interest rate deals.

My advice would be to continue to save as much as possible and repay the credit cards down by a bit more than minimums. Upping your income significantly though and paying off your credit cards is realistically the only way I can see you affording this extension.
    All of this is at the back of my mind too. A DMP has never been part of my plan and would be an absolute last resort, at the 'if the alternative was losing the house' level of last resort, rather than 'we might not be able to afford avocados every week' level, if you know what I mean.

I am really truly hoping that we make enough of a dent in the CC debt/save enough in the extension pot this year that it seems less horrific to do this extra borrowing, as I can see how incredibly tight the numbers are and how close to total meltdown the whole thing brings us.

Actually writing all this down has been a really good exercise, as I can see how much difference we can continue to make by paying off every extra penny we can.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback