PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

non standard construction/spooner home?

i went and viewed a house yesterday that i was advised by the estate agent is of non standard construction - timber frame with brick skin. it's price is good (obviously haha) and location also perfect. I'm buying following breakdown of my marriage, i have 2 children and a small deposit so my range of houses is very small and at the moment i feel like im just going over and over whats been on the market for months that no one else wants! although this one hasnt been on for an awfully long time :)

i emailed my mortgage advisor today so waiting a response. just wondered if anyone had any experience of buying this kind of property? it won't be my forever home, im in a new relationship now so expect that in a couple of years time we will be in the position to move into a more long term home i just need something that will hpuse me and my two kids in the meantime.

thanks in advance xx

Comments

• dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    lynseys wrote: »
    i went and viewed a house yesterday that i was advised by the estate agent is of non standard construction - timber frame with brick skin. it's price is good (obviously haha) and location also perfect. I'm buying following breakdown of my marriage, i have 2 children and a small deposit so my range of houses is very small and at the moment i feel like im just going over and over whats been on the market for months that no one else wants! although this one hasnt been on for an awfully long time :)

i emailed my mortgage advisor today so waiting a response. just wondered if anyone had any experience of buying this kind of property? it won't be my forever home, im in a new relationship now so expect that in a couple of years time we will be in the position to move into a more long term home i just need something that will hpuse me and my two kids in the meantime.

thanks in advance xx

If money is tight, I'd think the properties in bold would be the ones to go for, as you have a better chance of negotiating down from the asking price. If the non-standard house is new to the market, the seller is unlikely to negotiate down at this point.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It can be difficult to secure a mortgage on a non-standard house, which is why the EA warned you about it.
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    lynseys wrote: »

thanks in advance xx
    That does not sound at all non standard.
  • lynseys
    lynseys Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    what makes you say that? i sort of thought the same tbh sounds like how all houses are built. Google had a lot of horror stories but the fact its brick makes me think its a lot better than a typical prefab :/ but im not a builder haha
  • A Spooner house is a particular type of non-standard construction with implications on mortgageability. You will require a surveyor with knowledge of this specific construction type.

https://www.cml.org.uk/documents/non-traditional-housing-in-the-uk-a-brief-overview-report/pdf_pub_misc_NontradhousingBR.pdf.pdf

(Figure 10 page 12)
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It sounds as if it could be of concrete construction on a timber frame with a brick skin added later to protect the structure. Is it ex council? Some councils add brick skins to their non-standard properties to protect them. Perhaps ask the EA as they seem to know about it, or ask the vendor.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 April 2018 at 12:40PM
    A Spooner house is a particular type of non-standard construction with implications on mortgageability. You will require a surveyor with knowledge of this specific construction type.

https://www.cml.org.uk/documents/non-traditional-housing-in-the-uk-a-brief-overview-report/pdf_pub_misc_NontradhousingBR.pdf.pdf

(Figure 10 page 12)

Sorry, double posted
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure