Energy: Find the cheapest supplier & earn cashback

Comments

• PhylPho
    PhylPho Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I've just checked, too. We're on EDF's Blue Price Protection to October and the figures on offer by the Energy Club really don't stack up. There's also the fact that the 2-year fix is posited on the notion that after October this year, we'll be paying a 'standard tariff'. But. . . We won't. There'll be plenty of offers between now and then from suppliers large and small. This is one ticking clock -- the deadline is apparently only a few hours away -- that we'll let tick on regardless.
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    momist wrote: »
    . . . You really do have to check your own figures, every time.
    I agree. Particularly if switching at this time of year when consumption rates are high. I've decided to give it a miss until my current contract expires. I'll have another look-see then.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • British Gas one year fixed deal from late 2017; I "switched" from Sainsburys to British Gas via the Energy Club. Got the confirmation,then nothing..till I realised my DDR from January hadn't gone out and that neither Sainsburys nor BGas had asked for a reading. Phoned Sainsbury Jan18th and BGas had apparently "cancelled" my switch! - so after a few "holds" all seemed to be sorted and sure enough BGas phoned to say it was all sorted. MLEnergy Club confirmed my switch ages ago and I have received £25,but as of yesterday I am still with Sainsburys and awaiting a call from them to see what is going on. Unfortunately this is the second time I have had a switch problem with BGas. On my switch to Sainsburys last year they forgot to switch my electricity and just did the gas! So after this year I will be looking away from British Gas...
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Lisrobbo wrote: »
    British Gas one year fixed deal from late 2017; I "switched" from Sainsburys to British Gas via the Energy Club. Got the confirmation,then nothing..till I realised my DDR from January hadn't gone out and that neither Sainsburys nor BGas had asked for a reading. Phoned Sainsbury Jan18th and BGas had apparently "cancelled" my switch! - so after a few "holds" all seemed to be sorted and sure enough BGas phoned to say it was all sorted. MLEnergy Club confirmed my switch ages ago and I have received £25,but as of yesterday I am still with Sainsburys and awaiting a call from them to see what is going on. Unfortunately this is the second time I have had a switch problem with BGas. On my switch to Sainsburys last year they forgot to switch my electricity and just did the gas! So after this year I will be looking away from British Gas...
    This highlights one of the problems with switching through an intermediary.

The new supplier is responsible for the switch and if you go direct you know who to contact to get things sorted out. Where an intermediary is involved the buck can be passed from pillar to post.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • ASavvyBuyer
    ASavvyBuyer Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    This highlights one of the problems with switching through an intermediary.

The new supplier is responsible for the switch and if you go direct you know who to contact to get things sorted out. Where an intermediary is involved the buck can be passed from pillar to post.

Very true. Also, by going direct with some companies you can use a referral code that pays more cash back than Price Comparison sites. For example, Bulb & Octopus are offering £50 cashback if you use a referral link.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Very true. Also, by going direct with some companies you can use a referral code that pays more cash back than Price Comparison sites. For example, Bulb & Octopus are offering £50 cashback if you use a referral link.

And I think that I am correct in saying that under the new Ofgem PCW Confidence Code these 'family and friends' deals will not be listed, whereas the total annual cost shown can now include any cash back paid by the PCW (ie; a share of the referral fee). The latter is already happening on MSE CEC.
  • Has anyone used the “look after my bills service” it was looking good until it asked for my direct debit details. I can’t Find anything on the Internet that suggests this is a scam.
  • Look after my bills: Does anybody have any experience with using the service? I was registering with it but became very hesitant when it asked for my bank account details and sort code under the guise of a direct debit. I have had a look to see if this is a scam and have not been able to find any information. Can anyone help?
  • Gmeasor wrote: »
    Has anyone used the “look after my bills service” it was looking good until it asked for my direct debit details. I can’t Find anything on the Internet that suggests this is a scam.
    Gmeasor wrote: »
    Look after my bills: Does anybody have any experience with using the service? I was registering with it but became very hesitant when it asked for my bank account details and sort code under the guise of a direct debit. I have had a look to see if this is a scam and have not been able to find any information. Can anyone help?

Mrs Biggles looks after all our bills :A

But for those not fortunate enough to find someone themself, there's always someone prepared to offer services for a price ...:cool:
  • deutsch
    deutsch Posts: 398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Started a switch from Scottish Power to EDF dual fuel. TCB £80 yesterday.
    Only get an email they've upped it £100 today.
    Still better than nothing. Hopefully will track and be paid.
    EDF were cheap regardless on this ocasion (so not after casback)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback