Warning re 24/7 Home Rescue

Comments

• 247homerescue
    247homerescue Posts: 128 Organisation Representative
    Thank you for Review. we are very sorry to hear that you are unhappy with the service that was provided, In regards to this can you please email our complaint team at 24/7 home rescue with you reference number and a brief description and we will be more then happy to look into this for you and try resolve the issues that you have raised.

24/7 home rescue
    Social Media Advisor

Verified Company
    We are verified representatives of 247 Homerescue. MSE has given permission for us to post in response to queries about the company so that we can help solve issues. You can see our name on the Verified Companies list. We are not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe we are, please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of the company or its products by MSE.
  • 247homerescue
    Thank you for Review. we are very sorry to hear that you are unhappy with the service that was provided, In regards to this can you please email our complaint team at 24/7 home rescue with you reference number and a brief description and we will be more then happy to look into this for you and try resolve the issues that you have raised.

24/7 home rescue
    Social Media Advisor

Verified Company
    We are verified representatives of 247 Homerescue. MSE has given permission for us to post in response to queries about the company so that we can help solve issues. You can see our name on the Verified Companies list. We are not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe we are, please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of the company or its products by MSE.
  • 247homerescue

kind regards
    24/7 home rescue
    Social Media Advisor

Verified Company
  • 247homerescue

24/7 home rescue
    Social Media Advisor

Verified Company
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post

24/7 home rescue

Is there a reason you are repeating the same post??
  • ddaddy
    ddaddy Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    It's a good job I came across this post. I was just about to sign up for a landlord policy with 247.
    Does anyone have any recommendations apart from British Gas?
  • DEE_SMITH
    DEE_SMITH Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 25 October 2018 at 9:13AM
    {Text removed by MSE Forum Team}
    The "Emergency Hotline" is a joke = 20 minutes on hold. Finally got through and was informed that £75 excess needed to be paid on a card on the phone - for an engineer to come out (during freezing/snow conditions) when boiler broken down (hot water and heating). Once excess was paid by Debit Card they informed me that the Engineer would be out in 3 days time !!. Took a day off from work engineer arrived midday to tell us he needed to order a part and the office will call me. WELL same as most people on here = we were told in a phonecall after the Engineer had left that our Boiler was "beyond economic repair" .......(absolute [email]b@ll@cks.....Oh[/email] but if we paid another upfront fee of £240 they would send an engineer and we would still need to pay for the cost above and beyond the £240 plus VAT ! JOKERS.. phoned a local Plumber out who fixed it within 2 hours for £200... said there was only a small part needed fitting and apart from that the boiler was in good working order. {Text removed by MSE Forum Team} Enquired as to getting the £75 excess payment back as their Engineer had not actually rectified the problem. OH NO OF COURSE THAT PAYMENT WAS MANDATORY NO REFUND !!!!!!!!!
  • Switched from another boiler cover company as trying to save money, wish I had looked on this forum first! Talk about hassle. I made a point of asking before I signed up to 24/7 about any hidden costs and was assured my policy is £0 excess and I wouldn't not have to pay anything on top of my monthly direct debit. We were having trouble with our hot water and was charged £75 up front over the phone for an engineer to come out because it was classed as a partial breakdown. When I challenged this I was told to refer to my terms and conditions. I stupidly didn't read them before I signed up as the sales person was so reassuring about having nothing else to pay. On the welcome letter one of the main selling points is about getting to priority customers quickly, often the same day. At the time of reporting the fault, I had one year old twin nephews staying as well as parents over the age of 65, both of which are classed as priority. I was going to have to wait 5 days for an engineer to come out so cancelled the appointment and after reading Trust Pilot reviews about more hidden part costs for boilers decided to cancel my policy and I paid for a local plumber to come out instead. I waited 1 hour 17 mins on the phone to 24/7 and was put through to 3 different people to process the £75 refund and cancel my policy. I am still waiting for this refund and am having to separately chase getting my first payment through direct debit refunded, despite cancelling in their 30 day cancellation period. I've been left feeling so frustrated, disappointed and feel completely conned. I posted a review on Trust pilot and 24/7 posted a response all of which was fabricated! Was referring to a tenant and refunding boiler parts (none of which apply to me) and was a very blame heavy response, so can only think this was a different customer who had complained. How can they get away with this? Given the less than glowing reviews below, I'm not the first and sadly won't be the last to have a terrible experience. AVOID AVOID AVOID.
  • PhylPho
    PhylPho Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    ddaddy wrote: »
    It's a good job I came across this post. I was just about to sign up for a landlord policy with 247.
    Does anyone have any recommendations apart from British Gas?

I'm responding to your post, though this is also a response to those by Dee Smith at #228 and earthchick at #229.

The situation in which Mrs P and I found ourselves in January, 2016, is one which many other householders will no doubt have encountered. We'd been with British Gas HomeCare for years, and years, and years . . . and every year, British Gas increased the annual premium. What had started at £10.50 (we're meticulous record keepers) had become £23.80p, every month, 12 months of the year.

We sat down and looked at the figures. That we're now paying British Gas £285.60 a year, for which we get an annual boiler "service" (which really isn't a service in the way that a car is services, more like a check and maybe a quick dusting.)

Just about everyone we know -- neighbours, and friends -- have British Gas to make sure their central heating boiler is functioning OK. But, but, but . . . Many a heating engineer has, over the years, very kindly come on MSE and posted about. .

Paranoia.

The paranoia of home owners that oh-dear-god, the boiler's going to blow up at any minute! What will I do? Who can I turn to? I must, must, MUST pay out every month for an insurance policy (because that's all it is: insurance) to cover the cost of anything going wrong.

To its lasting credit, the service we received from British Gas's engineers was never less than superb. And when we needed a next-day call-out -- which, in 10 years, we needed. . . twice -- that's what we received. No ifs. No buts. And no "up front charges" like those inflicted by scam outfits masquerading as substitutes for the kind of service British Gas provides.

But. But. But. . . We also received cautions, with every service, that our boiler was getting old. (As are we.) That though parts were available then, those parts might not be available in future.

This wasn't a hard sell, wasn't even a soft sell, really . . . but it was always enough to stimulate the nagging doubt at the back of our minds that some day, some time, we were going to have serious trouble with our central heating and might be wise to buy a new boiler.

We were, in a word, developing a quiet, though expensive . . . Paranoia.

The kind of paranoia on which all such service providers depend for the success of their business. The not unreasonable fear of householders that unless -- UNLESS -- they fork out what turns out to be a cumulative small fortune in monthly insurance premiums, then oh boy, are they going to be in trouble one day. Some day. Whenever. That in the depths of winter the house is going to freeze up and there's not even GhostBusters to call. . .

We decided, we're not paranoid. Nor are we stupid. But stupid gets no more stupid than paying British Gas £286 a year to insure a boiler that's working just fine, thank you. So-oo . . . We cancelled the British Gas contract.

The last payment was January, 2016. It's now February, 2018. Between then and now we would have paid £23.80p (or possibly, even more than that, given British Gas's annual price hikes) we would have paid £23.80p a month for the 11 remaining months of 2016, the 12 months of 2017, and the two months (so far) of 2018, a total of 25 months: £595.

Five Hundred and Ninety Five Pounds . . . handed over for the, er, 'protection' of a central heating boiler and its annual service.

In our case, we found a plumber who was highly recommended by neighbours and friends. He was good at what he did, but he was not a heating engineer. So . . . we asked him to recommend one. He did. Result? In 2016, we paid £60 for a boiler 'service' (which he actually described as more-of-a-check and clean) and then, in 2017, a further £65. He's local. He offers a 24-hour emergency call-out. He values his customer and he values word-of-mouth recommendations. I doubt he's unique.

Our central heating boiler is a GloWorm. Anything but the finest of boilers. Our house is new build and the boiler was installed in August 2005. We asked our heating engineer -- in view of British Gas's cautions about the, er, "life-time" of a boiler -- what he thought about our boiler. He said: 'Nothing wrong with it.' We asked, when will it pack up? He said: 'Who knows? It'll last until it. . . doesn't. No-one can forecast the expiry date. Not even British Gas.'

We had one problem with pressurisation last year, so needed a 24-hour call-out. Our heating engineer provided it. Cost: £40.

The point of all this is not that we've paid out a total of £165 these past two years in regard to our central heating -- instead of £595 -- but that none of these insurance arrangements, doesn't matter whether it's from British Gas or anyone else, will cover the cost of a replacement boiler. The insurance is not like that of a car: there's no write-off value. You just pay and pay and pay the premium and when the day comes that the boiler is no longer repairable -- though that's something in respect of which a householder should always but always obtain a second opinion -- then that's it, you shell out a four-figure sum.

One day -- maybe tomorrow, maybe next week / month / year or year after -- we'll need a new boiler. It'll cost. But what we won't have done is chucked hundreds and hundreds of pounds away in the meantime on entirely unnecessary "boiler insurance". And that's. . . Goooooood.

Finally, in regard to the outfit that is the focus of this particular thread: prospective customers should treat it with the same blatant contempt demonstrated in the utterly illiterate postings on this thread of its so-called "representative".

Most posters on here take the trouble to ensure that what they say is coherent and grammatically correct. Most posters here think you should treat people as you wish to be treated yourself, and that means communicating with a care for language and a respect for the reader's intelligence.

24/7? Don't make me laugh -- or rather, you carry on, 24/7, because every laughable scripted post on this thread has served only to show that this is a business which deserves no-one's respect and, absolutely, no-one's custom.
  • Nothing wrong with my 3-4 year old boiler , had a service and started experiencing problems . Luke warm water in bath . Can’t even use shower due to water temp and now after explaining I wanted a second opinion they want £75 call out fee when the boiler was fine more like the engineer was more interested in getting to pub as it was his last job. Having to take advice now . Avoid this company as reading other reviews on It. Do not trust ...update after there reply ... I was told because I didn’t report the issue straight away that they was sure there engineer did the correct job although they won’t put a signature to that and send a independent engineer out to clarify that. I was told I could make a claim and that I was covered all I needed was to pay £75 excess . For which I refused as it was working perfectly fine before their engineer came out so there response is a lie again ! Also if people read the 5 star reviews there actually ones of the website and how easy it is to use not of actual work
    Update... had a engineer come out to independently access the boiler and had to have work done. I received a call from Megan saying they would refund me all the money it cost me aswell as send me a service breakdown of what was originally done . Still not received it and ignored me about my refund !!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback