PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Making savings before it's too late

Options

Comments

• lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Aww thanks Jackie. I am another one who loves your posts......you certainly are inspirational. Like my dear Aunty S, now sadly deceased, you know how to make a penny do the work of 2.

Yes I’m sitting here with a rug over my knees and a nice scented candle. The heating has switched itself off but I’m plenty warm enough.

I tried a ramoska but I couldn’t lift it. I was thinking of buying a mini oven that would sit on the work top. They don’t cost much and I think they save on fuel. I do use my slow cooker quite a bit.

I think having a clearly defined goal will help me. I like to set myself targets, I do enjoy a challenge. I try to see money saving as a game rather than a chore, especially if I can reward myself as a result. :rotfl:
  • Katieowl
    Katieowl Posts: 185 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Kittie.......Thanks for the tip about cbd oil. I tried hemp oil (which I think is more or less the same) very good but it did upset my stomach. However, I was in the middle of an IBS flare up at the time so probably not a true test. I am going to try again after Christmas now my tummy has settled again. It certainly helped with the fibro when I tried it.

The problem is Fibro and IBS are sort of “sister” ailments. If you have one you often have the other. I did read that There is a theory that IBS is in fact a precursor to Fibro......I know that I had IBS first so maybe there is something in that theory.

Anyway thanks for the link because the one you have shown is actually quite a lot cheaper than the oil I tried. I paid £33 so quite a difference. I’ll see how I go.

I have wondered about a Roomba..next time I need a new hoover I might look at those. I currently have a Henry. I bought a special booster brush which has made using it a lot easier. It glides over the carpet easily and is very efficient at picking everything up.

One of my recent acquisitions has been a smart meter. They fit them for free.. I find it has helped me reduce my energy consumption, it does make you aware of how much “juice” you are consuming.

I have today reduced the heating thermostat by One degree. Can’t say I have noticed a difference, the house still feels nice and cosy, but then again it’s not quite as cold today as it has been. I’m afraid I refuse to be cold.......it makes my fibro worse if I get chilled.

TBH although my cleaner was helpful she only did the jobs she liked.....:rotfl: I often had to go round and do the bits she ignored.

I once asked her to do the oven because I just couldn’t reach without being in pain......talk about half hearted. :rotfl: i ended up having to do it again. If I struggle again I’ll just get one of those oven cleaning companies in but I think that as long as I keep on top of things then I should be ok.

I had a shocking first six months this year......enormously stressful and I think my health just took a battering. But hopefully now that life is on an even keel again I should be able to control both the fibro and the IBS. Don’t want to tempt fate but I now feel better than I have done for a long time. Long may it continue. :D.

I have Fibro too (and arthritis) and possibly coeliac but I've avoided wheat for so long (IBS symptoms) they cant test for it....I have two of the dogs on CBD oil, one for a neurological problem, and recently been giving it to my older girl for symtoms of Dementia, I'm stunned by the difference its made. I keep eying the bottle up!!!

I was taken of a long time med that controlled my pain well earlier in the year and have struggled on with Ibruprofen, Turmeric and Glucosamine. I've also had a pretty stressful year and OMG does it make it all worse :(
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm so pleased that you're enjoying this thread!!

Totally agree about drying outside - trouble is, the number of days in the year when you can actually get clothes snuff dry outside in the north of England are few and far between. My clothes go outside on a Monday, or round the radiator if the weather isn't good - but if they're still hanging around by Wednesday morning, they go in the tumble dryer. Otherwise the place would disappear under a pile of not-quite-dry washing.
    A tip I picked up this year was to look at whether the paving slabs in the garden are dry. If they are put the washing on the line. Even if you have to finish them off in the TD or radiators it's not as much as completely doing them that way. Prior to discovering this I wouldn't have washing out between October and March because I'm also in the North of England and didn't think it would ever be dry enough.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Noticing the discussion about a Roomba vacuum cleaner - and a quick peer at Amazon revealed huge differences in price between the cheapest and the dearest. Also details for some of them describing them as being for "hard floor or thin carpet".

What I've got in my house are vinyl on kitchen and bathroom floors (which I wouldnt be looking to have done that way anyway). But the carpets have the thickest underlay I could get and are pretty thick themselves.

Would a Roomba work in a house with:
    a. carpet like that.
    b. the several decorators I've had in so far for this house werent any good - as it turned out they've not done the preparation work properly and I've found pretty new paint seems to chip quite easily on my woodwork in this house (unlike when I or the painter I had found in my last house did it). I wont be re-doing the decor again until it's due - about 10 years after last time it was done. So I wouldnt want it "knocking into" that badly-painted woodwork.
  • lessonlearned
    Options
    What kind of paint was used on your woodwork.

Since the introduction of low VOC paints I’ve noticed that gloss and satin wood paints don’t seem as robust as the old oil based paints. They do seem more prone to chipping.

I did a good paint job but I’ve noticed some of my skirting boards need touching up. I also have to redo the top of the stair rails and bannisters regularly. The new water based paints just don’t seem as hard wearing. The don’t seem to “cure” the same.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Options
    Noticing the discussion about a Roomba vacuum cleaner - and a quick peer at Amazon revealed huge differences in price between the cheapest and the dearest. Also details for some of them describing them as being for "hard floor or thin carpet".

What I've got in my house are vinyl on kitchen and bathroom floors (which I wouldnt be looking to have done that way anyway). But the carpets have the thickest underlay I could get and are pretty thick themselves.

Would a Roomba work in a house with:
    a. carpet like that.
    b. the several decorators I've had in so far for this house werent any good - as it turned out they've not done the preparation work properly and I've found pretty new paint seems to chip quite easily on my woodwork in this house (unlike when I or the painter I had found in my last house did it). I wont be re-doing the decor again until it's due - about 10 years after last time it was done. So I wouldnt want it "knocking into" that badly-painted woodwork.
    I looked at prices just now, but shut the tab down fast when I saw the prices. A broom and my 3 yo Dyson work just fine for me!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • lessonlearned
    Options
    Katie......yes stress is toxic for fibro isn’t it, probably the worst trigger for a flare up. Hope you find something to help.

I also ditched the wheat......in fact I have gone completely grain free, sticking to a largely Paleo diet. It has helped me enormously.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Spendless I have a patio that id about a third of my garden and I do that as well if the slabs are drying off then out goes my washing on the line.

LL I too think of it as a bit of a challenge, and think of running my finances as I would run my business, so watch every tanner spent :) but I do like the end result of a smashing family holiday with my DD,son-in-law and DGS in August, plus the two little dogs :)
    Hamster has gone to hamster heaven though, and DD is not going to replace him. The holiday house is booked already, and the ferry fares booked and paid for so roll on August and back to the IoW :):):)

JackieO xx
  • lessonlearned
    Options
    Jackie.....you make a great CEO. :rotfl:

I love the Isle of Wight. I’m going to be a first time grandmother this year. Baby is due in July, just in time for my birthday. In years to come I shall be looking forward to bucket and spade holidays again, renting a house at the coast. It will be such fun.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 24 December 2017 at 7:44AM
    Options
    Its nice to have aims and aspirations, something to look forward to and saving towards them makes those aims much more special and appreciated

LL https://www.optibacprobiotics.co.uk/shop/saccharomyces-boulardii

Works a miracle for ibs, just be patient with the bit of wind over a couple of days while the gut colonises. That specific probiotic

Two weeks ago I decided to have less time with my singing dancing pellet stove on, I have to feed it with 10kg bags of wood pellets, buying, carrying and lifting each and every one. I helped the transition by using my enormous stash of candles, all in safety. I soon found that I adapted to the lower house temperature. It was a good move and I am already using fewer pellets comfortably

Next step will be to find a different energy provider, I see that good energy has put its prices up by 6% from next month. I believe I can save about £50 on electricity, no gas here, I will do that shopping around later today

money, roomba (genuine roomba) cleans and grooms my thick rugs beautifully and when finished it goes and docks itself to re-charge. Like I said it is expensive but for anyone who can afford a cleaner, it is a cheaper (and better) alternative over time. It has very good bumpers. I have eco paint on my skirtings and have never seen a chip. My sister bought one last year, has carpet and vinyl and is always singing its praises. Cheapest roomba is from appliances direct, I bought dds one each from them when I was splashing the cash, I am glad I did but it was pretty impulsive because money did not matter to me at the time. The one I have is the 8 series
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure