Car Tax 6 months overdue!

Comments

• Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    AdrianC wrote: »
    You have a legal duty to ensure the address for all vehicles registered to you is kept updated, as well as your licence. You can even put them all in the same envelope when you send them off...

Not a good idea as they use separate postcodes and apparently the one sent to the wrong postcode may get lost!
  • My only concern now is the negative effect this can have on me... does anyone have any insight?
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,306 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    You need less hassles in life and fewer stress then... ;)
    I like it. Good grammar like good manners costs nothing!
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    AdrianC wrote: »

That's irrelevant. DVLA don't hold insurance details. They do not assume that licence address changes and vehicle address changes go hand-in-hand (even if they definitely know that the keeper and the licence holder are the same person, which they don't always, because you do not have to put your licence number on keeper changes), simply because they aren't always.

Also there are some father and sons with same name, which vehicle is theirs.
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    My only concern now is the negative effect this can have on me... does anyone have any insight?

the bad boys will be taking DNA samples from your dustbin , DONT open the door to bailiffs , cancel the trip to america , get it paid ASAP

nothing to do with civil "credit score"
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    OP the one thing I'd advise you to check is how much is outstanding for unpaid months. People often dont realise these are chased separately (fine for being untaxed & fees owed for untaxed months).
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • OP the one thing I'd advise you to check is how much is outstanding for unpaid months. People often dont realise these are chased separately (fine for being untaxed & fees owed for untaxed months).

Interesting. I've heard that the fine "usually includes any back taxes needed". Obviously, I have no documentation to verify this and the court didn't have this information either!

Either way, I've paid the fine.
  • inhoping
    inhoping Posts: 35 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper
    edited 14 April 2018 at 1:41PM
    How did this go for you Gary? everything ok? same thing just happened to me, i was sure i set up a Direct Debit for mine but then moved house after a year and half of living there (awful breakup) and must have forgot to update them with new address and its somehow effected my payments with them, so was 4 months overdue (expired in DEC) and i only found out when i got a letter from a debt collection agency!

There was outstanding debt of £120 to be paid which was an £80 penalty and i think £40 back tax (or the other way around!), which I've paid (over the phone directly to the DVLA) and also had to re-tax the vhicle online. It did state:

"Your vehicle will be taxed from 01 April 2018 This vehicle's previous tax/SORN expired on: 01 December 2017. This means the vehicle has not been taxed since this date.
    You can apply for vehicle tax from today's date, with a tax start date of the first of this month, however, please note that it is an offence to be the registered keeper of a vehicle that is untaxed and does not have SORN in force. DVLA's enforcement section may be in contact with you regarding this gap in tax."

I assume because I've paid the fine/debt directly to DVLA that its all sorted? I did this before i paid for the tax renewal. The lady on the phone when i paid the fine though said that this would close the matter, does that include this 'enforcement' that refers to the tax online? Or is there a court case (or some other thing) i now need to attend? Never normally been in such a situation, so i have no idea what happens.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    inhoping wrote: »
    How did this go for you Gary? everything ok? same thing just happened to me, i was sure i set up a DD, was told I actually hadn't? and that there was outstanding debt of £120 to be paid, which I've paid (over the phone to the DVLA) and also had to re-tax the vehicle. Moved house in October and the tax expired in Dec 1st, its now april and I've re-taxed!

I assume because I've paid the fine/debt directly to DVLA that its all sorted? or is there a court case (or some other thing) i now need to attend? Never normally been in such a situation, so i have no idea what happens in such situations.

Gary last post was July 2017 (last signed in December 2017), I wouldn't expect him to reply.
  • Rover_Driver
    Rover_Driver Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    inhoping wrote: »

There was outstanding debt of £120 to be paid which was an £80 penalty and i think £40 back tax (or the other way around!), which I've paid (over the phone directly to the DVLA) and also had to re-tax the vhicle online.

Yours would have been different matter to the OP's, the Late Licensing Penalty - s.7A, Vehicles Excise & Registration Act 1994 - which is treated as a civil debt.

The OP's case was the offence of using an unlicensed vehicle - s.29 of the same act, which was dealt with in the magistrate's court.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure