Garage taking the mick

Help !!
My car has been at a garage now for 15 months waiting for them to fix the automatic gear box, the first few months the guy was trying to find the right part but eventually gave up hope so we agreed he would put the gearbox back together and I would sort it elsewhere. My problem is that for the last 10 months he has been saying " it will be ready next week " with no sign of that week ever arriving, I have been to visit him numerous times and been given the same response and promises. I just want rid of the car now as I've bought another one due to how Long he's been keeping me waiting.
Where do I stand on getting my car back and should I have to pay him for fixing nothing and causing me all this trouble?

Comments

• missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    I would speak to whomever you have in mind to do the repairs and ask them to uplift the car.
    I would tell garage No 1 to send me a bill for the work carried out and frame it.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • ratrace
    ratrace Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    This sounds like a very DarkMatter
    People are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we are”

Rat Race
  • walwyn1978
    walwyn1978 Posts: 837 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Have you paid any money to date?

Why haven't you tried to recover the car, in bits or not, before now?
  • The guy was recommended to me and i have been too believing of him. I have not paid him anything to date and to be honest i dont want to anymore
  • And today he has informed me that it needs a new battery as its been sat idle for so long that it's dead and won't charge !!
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    And today he has informed me that it needs a new battery as its been sat idle for so long that it's dead and won't charge !!
    No great surprise there.

What car is this, that gearbox parts aren't available - or a replacement box - within a year and a bit?
  • angrycrow
    angrycrow Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    After 15 months sitting your brakes are likely to be shot as well and expect engine and electrical issues when you get the gearbox fixed. I would recommend a full service and brake overhall before the car goes back on the road. Must be a very rare car to not be able to get gearbox parts after 15 months.
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    angrycrow wrote: »
    After 15 months sitting your brakes are likely to be shot as well and expect engine and electrical issues when you get the gearbox fixed. I would recommend a full service and brake overhall before the car goes back on the road. Must be a very rare car to not be able to get gearbox parts after 15 months.

brakes will be cheap , as that car only had brakes on the front axle
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • I'm sorry everybody, but I don't believe it's 'him'.

That is, unless he's learned a lesson finally and drastically changed posting style.
  • fewgroats
    fewgroats Posts: 774 Forumite
    Rhyming slang.

Mickey Bliss = er, liberty.
    Advent Challenge: Money made: £0. Days to Christmas: 59.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure