MSE News: Got an Orange, Freeserve or Wanadoo email? It's shutting down in May

Anyone with an email account from mobile and broadband provider Orange needs to move to an alternative email address...
Read the full story:
'Got an Orange, Freeserve or Wanadoo email address? It's shutting down in May - here's what to do'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    This is such a nuisance. I've had my freeserve email address for 15 years, and it's on my business cards. This is going to be a lot of hassle to advise all my correspondents. Plus most sites use my email address as my user ID.

Shouldn't it be illegal to require this? If EE stopped providing phone service, I could use the same phone number with a different provider.

I take some comfort that this will be a spectacular own goal for EE. It's only due to the email that I use their broadband & phone deal. Without it, I can go to anyone.
  • liviboy
    liviboy Posts: 544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I can see why they'd want people to move to a new system as it can improve security, reliability etc. But there is absolutely no reason at all that legacy email addresses couldn't be forwarded to the new accounts automatically for say 12 months to enable people time to update their details but also in case of old contacts trying to get in touch.
  • BobbinAlong
    BobbinAlong Posts: 195 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    You can buy your own internet domain very cheaply and thus have your own email addresses to avoid having to change address when you change provider.
    I've been with 1&1 for about 15 years and had the same email address but changed my internet provider in that time and I can either use the domain's email service or forward my mail from there to my internet provider mail or wherever!
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Didn't know this would make Mse news flash lol
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    jk0 wrote: »
    This is such a nuisance. I've had my freeserve email address for 15 years, and it's on my business cards. This is going to be a lot of hassle to advise all my correspondents. Plus most sites use my email address as my user ID.

Shouldn't it be illegal to require this? If EE stopped providing phone service, I could use the same phone number with a different provider.

I take some comfort that this will be a spectacular own goal for EE. It's only due to the email that I use their broadband & phone deal. Without it, I can go to anyone.

Should have used 1 of the free providers that arent restrictive or the possibility of the service being shut down or hange your ISP, could just get your own domain as mentioned. Would look more professional having your own domain.
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    On the other hand, my xxxxx@tiscali.co.uk account is still going strong. Looking at e-mails I saved from 2004.

If I had known, wouldn't have bothered to switch to other accounts.
    When Talktalk took over Tiscali, I assumed that was the end, but they kept the account going, even though I haven't been with them for over ten years.
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Unfortunately there's currently no way for our Credit Club members to change their email address, so you'll need to delete your account and re-register with a new address if you want to keep in touch.

That's really poor, guys.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • dggar
    dggar Posts: 670 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Mentioned on techie stuff board on 9th Feb. 27 posts there's.
  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,641 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    dggar wrote: »
    Mentioned on techie stuff board on 9th Feb. 27 posts there's.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5600508

This link might have been useful...
  • dggar
    dggar Posts: 670 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    harz99 wrote: »

Couldn't get it to copy on the device I was borrowing
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing