Hotpoint or Tesco re faulty appliance?

My Hotpoint dishwasher is 11 months old and so under guarantee. It has developed a slight fault in that the indicator light for rinse aid stays on despite having been refilled. I have monitored this fault over the past 4 weeks hoping it would correct itself. Apart from this minor fault it is working fine. My query is should I contact Tesco direct who I bought it from or the Hotpoint Service company? Would I likely be offered a replacement from either as it is less than 12 months old? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thankyou.

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Tesco are the vendor not Hotpoint your consumer rights are against them .
    But have a look at your purchase stuff as Hotpoint may be the quickest route . Though they are under no obligation to replace .
    See MSE stickies top of the page .
  • Hunter_2
    Hunter_2 Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    thank you J J Egan. my concern now is that if I approach Tesco and they decide to send out an engineer, would that invalidate my free 10 year parts guarantee with Hotpoint? I suspect it might.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Hunter wrote: »
    thank you J J Egan. my concern now is that if I approach Tesco and they decide to send out an engineer, would that invalidate my free 10 year parts guarantee with Hotpoint? I suspect it might.
    Do you realise that with the free ten year parts guarantee you must have the 'free' parts fitted by a Hotpoint engineer and Hotpoint will charge you for that engineer's time?
    That makes those 'free' parts rather expensive.

In other words, the free ten year parts guarantee has little value, so don't fret too much over losing it.
  • Bogalot
    Bogalot Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Hunter wrote: »

Tesco don't have their own engineers. They'll refer you to Hotpoint unless they decide to give you an instant refund (unlikely), they'll send someone out to see if they can repair.

wealdroam makes a very good point on your parts guarantee - it's worthless.
  • Hunter_2
    thankyou Wealdroam and Bogalot, advice much appreciated. With the dishwasher being under a year old doesn't that count for replacementf? I know there are some companies who would honour that. Also having checked Mr Google, I see other people have had this same problem...
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 5 March 2017 at 6:21PM
    Count for a replacement essentially no .
    You have to give the vendor chance to repair the item as a minimum .

Sometimes a repair can be as simple as a blocked filter or even user damage .
    Tesco could say its user damage rather than an actual fault .
  • Hunter_2
    thanyou JJ Egan, you certainly have a point. I will approach tesco first.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I think that Tesco will charge you for fixing the problem as to me it doesn't sound like an inherent fault. If Hotpoint are also going to charge you then it might be more cost effective to find a local repairer to do it for you - althou personally I probably wouldn't bother with a repair at all.
  • Zandoni
    Zandoni Posts: 3,423 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    agrinnall wrote: »
    I think that Tesco will charge you for fixing the problem as to me it doesn't sound like an inherent fault. If Hotpoint are also going to charge you then it might be more cost effective to find a local repairer to do it for you - althou personally I probably wouldn't bother with a repair at all.
    Why do you not feel there's not a fault with the machine?

OP get Hotpoint out to look at it before the 1 year guarantee expires.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Zandoni wrote: »
    Why do you not feel there's not a fault with the machine?

OP get Hotpoint out to look at it before the 1 year guarantee expires.

Ignoring your double negative, I do think there's a fault with the machine, but I think it's unlikely that an indicator light stopping working properly after months of use was faulty at the time of purchase. If Tesco require, as they can, that the OP has an independent report produced, and that report confirmes that the fault was not inerent, then they will be out an extra chunk of money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure