New member – Debts / Anxiety / Depression – Advise Needed

Comments

• HITS
    HITS Posts: 27 Forumite
    Thanks Sourcrates

Should I be waiting that long regarding Cabot who haven't replied when the letter stated 12 working days?

Thanks
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,870 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    HITS wrote: »
    Thanks Sourcrates

Should I be waiting that long regarding Cabot who haven't replied when the letter stated 12 working days?

Thanks

The 12 working days are just guidelines, they are not set in stone.

Feel free to remind them earlier if you wish.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • HITS
    Hi Sourcrates and Fatbelly

Update - I have received a letter today from Cabot (CCA request) stating the below, please advise on my questions below:

"We currently do not have this information on file. However, I have requested the relevant details, which will include a copy of the credit agreement, statement of account and original and varied terms and conditions from the original lender. In the meantime, I would like to inform you that your account shall remain on hold with the Customer Care Department until such time we can comply with your request.!

"Your credit agreement is currently unenforceable, which means we are not permitted to obtain a judgement or decree against you in Court. However, you are still obliged to repay the outstanding balance as confirmed in this letter and therefore I would recommend you contact us as soon as possible to set up a repayment arrangement or continue with your existing payment plan."

Questions:

1) In simplest terms, where do I stand with above reply?

2) What should be my next step?

3) Should I be continuing paying them?

Many thanks in advance.
  • StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    Simply?

1: The DCAs never have the CCA paperwork, they have to get them form the original creditor. So standard issue here. It means that the account will be held until they comply with the request. For them to say "Well, we can't enforce it, but give us our money" is as hilarious as it is meaningless.

2: Wait to see if they come up with the CCA paperwork. if they do, and it is valid you'll be needing to set up a payment plan. If not, the debt is unenforceable and you can either offer a low ball settlement, or you can walk away.

3: Not until the CCA request is settled.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,483 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    edited 21 July 2017 at 2:53PM
    Is that both Cabot debts? I think I had suspicions about the old HSBC one earlier

It's unenforceable as things stand but if they can come up with compliant paperwork, it becomes live again. I think I'd continue paying your £5 for now but if this drags beyond maybe 6 weeks, I'd start to think that the paperwork no longer exists, and I can safely stop paying.

See what Sourcrates thinks
  • sourcrates
    Usually it can take a month to six weeks to go round the houses chasing up paperwork.

I wouldn't start the celebrations just yet, as its entirely possible they may come up with the goods.

I`m with Fatbelly`s train of thought for now.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • HITS
    Many thanks for your replies.

Fatbelly - Yes both (Lloyds & HSBC) are Cabot debts.

Sourcrates - No celebrations until I receive something in writing as I have had lot of anxiety from all of them over the last few years!

I will continue paying £5/wk. The letters were sent on 22nd June so should I send a follow up letter roughly 6-7 weeks after this date?

Many thanks.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,483 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    I don't think there is any need for you to send a letter. They may well respond anyway, either to give you the documents or to say they are still looking for them.
  • HITS
    Hi Guys

1) 10 week on and no sign of CCA paperwork from Cabot or Robinsonway. They have both informed me they are looking. What should be my next action?

2) My ideal solution would be to offer them low ball figure say £50/agreement as f & f settlement as I would like to clear these debts for good which would help my anxiety a long way! What are my chances?

3) Also I want to claim ppi that was mis-sold on these cards listed at top my post. As these debts were sold to DCA, would any successful ppi claim be offset against my debt? The ppi claim would be against the original creditor.

Many thanks in advance.
  • sourcrates
    HITS wrote: »
    Hi Guys

1) 10 week on and no sign of CCA paperwork from Cabot or Robinsonway. They have both informed me they are looking. What should be my next action?

2) My ideal solution would be to offer them low ball figure say £50/agreement as f & f settlement as I would like to clear these debts for good which would help my anxiety a long way! What are my chances?

3) Also I want to claim ppi that was mis-sold on these cards listed at top my post. As these debts were sold to DCA, would any successful ppi claim be offset against my debt? The ppi claim would be against the original creditor.

Many thanks in advance.

Hi,

Answers :

(1) sit tight and wait. Send reminder letter if you like.

(2) Refer to first sentence (1) above.

(3) Yes, most likely, you might be an exception though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure