IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

DRP threatening court action

Options
Good Evening,

I have read a number of posts but I'm still not sure if I should pay up now or continue ignoring the threatening letters from DRP.

I was fined for parking in a hospital car park in Dec 2017 when I was unloading the car to help my girlfriend move in into hospital accommodation. I was wrong in parking there as the signs said not to park, however, it was only for the purposes of unloading. By the time I came back down (not longer than 15 mins), I had received a fine.

I only discovered this forum the other day so I wasn't sure of what to do. So unfortunately I contacted DRP with my name and address and appealed the decision which was rejected. I have since received a number of letters all form DRP with the most recent letter saying this is the last chance to pay and that their client, UKPC, will take court action in 14 days.

Should I just pay up the £135 or should I still continue to ignore them? I feel like I was in the wrong because I parked somewhere I wasn't meant to. Please help!

Thanks!

Comments

• Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    post #4 of the NEWBIES FAQ sticvky thread deals with DRP and similar debt collectors

the advice is to IGNORE drp, never phone them , no contact

UKPC could issue an MCOL and take you to court , they have 6 years to do so

its either pay up , in full, or not, your decision and nobody elses to make

at this stage there is no help available, you make up your mind on what to do

the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread covers most of the questions

I would and do always tell people to IGNORE the debt collectors

if you lose in court , to a judge , pay up , in full , promptly , within one month of the judgment date , to avoid a CCJ

ps:- the JOPSON case covers unloading, so you have a reasonable chance of winning in court, to a sympathetic judge (unloading is not "parking")
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,350 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Read the Jonson v Homeguard case court transcript to get a better understanding and appreciation of how you tackle this should it go further. Almost all DRP threats are empty.

JOPSON - CS038 at the top of this page link:

http://www.parking-prankster.com/more-case-law.html
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • ssm90
    ssm90 Posts: 84 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you both for your replies. I am currently at work but will read the JOPSON case when I get back.

I made an error in my previous post, I had actually appealed to UKPC so they're the ones that have my name and contact details, so I am not sure how DRP received them unless it was through UKPC. Should I still ignore DRP now?

If I choose to ignore them, and then UKPC threaten court action, can I then pay the £135 to settle the matter or at that point is it too late and I have to pay extra/go to court etc.? I am only wondering this as DRP have said this was my last chance. Also can I please confirm that if I miss this deadline and I don't hear from UKPC, there is still up to 6 years in which time they can take me to court?

Thanks
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,643 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ssm90 wrote: »
    Should I still ignore DRP now?

Redx answered that in the first two lines of his post.

Nothing has changed. Debt collectors are powerless.
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    DRP are only TIMEWASTING DOWN AND OUTS

IGNORE DRP
    and never contact them

Simple low life outfit who cannot do anything
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    edited 23 April 2018 at 2:49PM
    Options
    UKPC are fraudsters, read this

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11858473/Parking-firm-UKPC-admits-faking-tickets-to-fine-drivers.html

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/nhs-patient-visitor-and-staff-car-parking-principles/nhs-patient-visitor-and-staff-car-parking-principles

This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors.

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, and another company have already been named and shamed, as has Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each year). They lose most of them, and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P. for unprofessional conduct

Hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned.

The problem has become so rampant that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. Watch the video of the Second Reading in the HofC recently.

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

and complain in the most robust terms to your MP. With a fair wind they will be out of business by Christmas.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    If I choose to ignore them, and then UKPC threaten court action, can I then pay the £135 to settle the matter or at that point is it too late and I have to pay extra/go to court etc.?
    Yes...but no-one will tell you that's a good idea, why would you pay that without a court Judge telling you to? Threatening court action WILL happen, and UKPC use SCS Law to send such drivel and start the odd claim. Why not read a few threads to see people dealing with that.

STILL NOT a reason to panic & pay! We win defended cases almost every time!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • rachelwigham
    Options
    Hi
    Read bits n bobs but going out of my mind with worry about this parking charge.
    I parked for 15 minutes in a free car park and park watch gave me a ticket because my wheels were over the line. So not wholly parked in a bay. I wasn't in 2 bays as to the drivers side, where my wheels were parked was a foot path.My appeal was rejected by park watch and POPLA - I'm scared they'll take me to court.

I'm not sleeping with worry. But it's £160 for not parking my wheels in a bay which just seems like a crime in itself.
    Thanks
  • rachelwigham
    Options
    Any advance or help to links - or who would support in a court case greatly appreciated. :-)
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 8 November 2018 at 7:06PM
    Options
    Welcome!

Click 2 clicks back and read the NEWBIES thread and see what stage you are at - no new threads about DRP please, ever!

No more replies on this ancient thread please. You are at DRP stage so a big fat ''so what'' applies! Read the 4th post of the NEWBIES thread.

No link to the NEWBIES thread is ever needed - you already have the info in my signature below every post I make and don't seem to have spotted it yet, or clicked the click back needed, to see today's posts.

YOU ABSOLUTELY DO NOT WANT SOME RANDOM PERSON OFFERING TO HELP YOU IN A COURT CASE THAT WILL PROBABLY NEVER HAPPEN.

ASK THE WELSH NURSES WHAT THEY THOUGHT OF THE LAY REP WHOSE BEHAVIOUR (REPORTED IN A TRANSCRIPT LINKED AS A FACTUAL PIECE OF INFO HERE ON MSE) WAS INSTRUMENTAL IN COSTING THEM A FIVE FIGURE SUM IN COSTS...
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure