PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Tenant referencing check: bank statements

Comments

• shirlgirl2004
    shirlgirl2004 Posts: 2,983 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    They may well inform your current landlord and yes you'd lose your money but you've brought it on yourself so maybe you need to reflect on that.
  • I have, I wouldn’t do it again. But anyway lmao thanks for the concern!
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,475 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Telling your current landlord would likely be a huge breach of data protection.

You have given them your information. It is to be used for the specified purpose.
    Everyone responsible for using data has to follow strict rules called ‘data protection principles’. They must make sure the information is:

used fairly and lawfully
    used for limited, specifically stated purposes
    used in a way that is adequate, relevant and not excessive
    accurate
    kept for no longer than is absolutely necessary
    handled according to people’s data protection rights
    kept safe and secure
    not transferred outside the!European Economic Area!without adequate protection

They cannot just inform your current landlord that they have seen you're bank statements and they have Air b n b on them.

Your tenancy with your landlord is nothing to do with them unless they are your landlord or managing your current tenancy on your landlords behalf.
  • That’s what a friend of mine told me.

Idk, getting lots of conflicting msgs all at once!

Some say done manually, some say electronically
    Some say they only look out for CJJs, insolvencies and bankcruptcies and some say they would flag something like this

Gaaaaha! I have to wait the entire weekend because I’ll only know next week
  • shirlgirl2004
    HampshireH wrote: »
    Telling your current landlord would likely be a huge breach of data protection.

You have given them your information. It is to be used for the specified purpose.

They cannot just inform your current landlord that they have seen you're bank statements and they have Air b n b on them.

Your tenancy with your landlord is nothing to do with them unless they are your landlord or managing your current tenancy on your landlords behalf.

Indeed I did consider that fact but then there are ways and means of doing these things like suggesting that people check out airbnb etc. Landlords have found their own properties on airbnb and of course the tenant would need to prove that's how the landlord found out.
  • shirlgirl2004
    That’s what a friend of mine told me.

Idk, getting lots of conflicting msgs all at once!

Some say done manually, some say electronically
    Some say they only look out for CJJs, insolvencies and bankcruptcies and some say they would flag something like this

Gaaaaha! I have to wait the entire weekend because I’ll only know next week

Think about it whomever is looking at your statements will be looking for anything that flags a concern for a prospective landlord and payments from airbnb would be a big red flag.
  • I stopped and deleted the listing in January. I just didn’t want to anymore.
  • Well I guess it depends on if it’s electronic or manual. Seems to be dependent on the agency itself.

However yeah I get ur point. If done manually it would be a red flag.
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic

Someone doesn't understand what they're telling you then.

The only information that a LL can look up without your consent is CCJ's, bankruptcy and insolvency as these are a matter of public record. However, they are free to ask you to provide anything they want, and as you agreed to this they now have the extra information.
  • Oh man! Guess we know what the answer is then !!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure