PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• MrsPorridge
    MrsPorridge Posts: 2,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I'm struggling with under the spare room bed. There is a big bag of soft toys. I got rid of 5 which I bought over the last few years. But, there are about 10 which are childhood toys - I even remembered their names. I lost Mum 15 years ago and Dad a 3 weeks ago so maybe I need to give myself a bit more time with them? Can't believe how upset I am sitting here crying and typing - how silly over some very worn out soft toys - and I'm the wrong side of 50!
    Debt free and Keeping on Track
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Mrs Porridge - there's a very strong emotional attachment for you, especially in your current circumstances. I would just give them a cuddle and leave them for a while.
    Hugs to you and condolences on the loss of your Dad. Just be gentle with yourself at the moment
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    there are about 10 which are childhood toys - I even remembered their names. I lost Mum 15 years ago and Dad a 3 weeks ago so maybe I need to give myself a bit more time with them? Can't believe how upset I am sitting here crying and typing - how silly over some very worn out soft toys - and I'm the wrong side of 50!

Give them pride of place! If you are so attached to them, you should not be keeping them in a bag under the bed; enjoy them, look at them, cuddle them, remember everything happy about your childhood and parents.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,672 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Mrs Porridge, my sympathies, I would give yourself time especially if you are new to kondo, it's easier to start with less emotional items, tbh if it's just ten soft toys keep them for now, and the crying is helpful.
    I'm still sorting hubby's things and know I'll keep coming up against items that hold memories but I know to keep only what brings joy, I don't need a mountain of items to remember him.
    The funeral director came yesterday , to bring him home ,his ashes, which was very emotional, I haven't decided what to do with them so they are on the dresser in the bedroom, so I can say goodnight and morning to him.
    I have our wedding rings and photos that is enough for me, I will always have him with me inside.

12 months , I had my daughters things in the attic that had been there for years, when she moved out I got them down for her to take with her, and she said I don't want them!!
    So tell them they're there give them a time frame say a week? You may be surprised.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • WeeMidgie
    WeeMidgie Posts: 469 Forumite
    I agree re adult children's boxes of stuff. I kept my daughter's stuff in storage for quite a few years. One time she was home (she lives overseas), she went through her boxes and 95% went out!! (charity shop/recycling/binned).

I'm off to drop a bag at the CS today, then out for a walk.

A wee update on my simplifying experiment in reducing the crockery and cutlery in circulation in the kitchen. I live solo, and very rarely have visitors (lack of space) so I initially reduced to one of everything. This was a bit restrictive, so the current balance is 2 cereal bowls, 2 pasta bowls, 1 dinner plate and 2 side plates; 4 mugs, and 2 of everything for cutlery. The spare crockery and cutlery all fits neatly into a smallish box which takes up very little room in the under stairs cupboard. It feels much more manageable.
  • Fen1
    Fen1 Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    The Golden Rule of KM is "do not touch other people's stuff". You are free to sort your own things, but other people's are sacrosanct. How would you like it if OH/Mum/child chucked out your things ( even forgotten things in the attic) without even so much as a heads-up?
    Your property is your own, no matter how old you are, no matter how long-forgotten the items. Getting rid of other people's stuff is at best rude, and at worst a deep betrayal.
    To reference GQ: look at her mum's story to understand the impact of discarding other people's stuff.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Bras!! I have many lovely bras, several rarely worn because I tried them for a whole day hence could not send them back, Very pretty quality bras but I only found my actual size yesterday, after trying many combinations for years. Finding the right size came from me doing a full measure for sewing for myself, underbust, high bust etc. Meantime struggling with a bra with straps that kept falling down, then another with a bigger band size and gaps in the cups etc. I always thought I was 42C and no way was I going to get 38E but after using a few calculator sites, all getting the same size, I thought no harm done and I got myself one cheap 38E from a well known lingerie company. I put it on today and suddenly I have two cup-filling boobs and a band that sits snug and straps that do not fall and underwires that do not dig. So I am biting the bullet and going to KM my beautiful wrong size bras. Has anyone heard of a charity called `smalls for all`? I will not be selling any of them. It has taken me a good 12 years to find my bra size and don`t mention being measured because they were the worst

sigh, what a waste but if a dedicated charity can use them, well and good
  • daisy_1571
    daisy_1571 Posts: 1,197 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If anyone wants to get some nice leather handbags that fold completely flat https://www.the original gift.co.uk item no 210 2027.

Just be prepared to kondo some serious spondoolics too !

Daisy xx
    2022: 3🏅 4⭐ 2023: 5🎖🏅🏅 🎖🏅6 ⭐⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion. Take hold of every moment - anon I'm a clutterbug butterfly 🦋 The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If you aren't already using something in your home, you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney
  • Fen1
    Fen1 Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    Hi Kittie, I mentioned Smalls for All ages ago.
    I'm in the process of collecting stuff for Women's Refuges, too.
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    kittie wrote: »
    Bras!! I have many lovely bras, several rarely worn because I tried them for a whole day hence could not send them back, Very pretty quality bras but I only found my actual size yesterday, after trying many combinations for years. Finding the right size came from me doing a full measure for sewing for myself, underbust, high bust etc. Meantime struggling with a bra with straps that kept falling down, then another with a bigger band size and gaps in the cups etc. I always thought I was 42C and no way was I going to get 38E but after using a few calculator sites, all getting the same size, I thought no harm done and I got myself one cheap 38E from a well known lingerie company. I put it on today and suddenly I have two cup-filling boobs and a band that sits snug and straps that do not fall and underwires that do not dig. So I am biting the bullet and going to KM my beautiful wrong size bras. Has anyone heard of a charity called `smalls for all`? I will not be selling any of them. It has taken me a good 12 years to find my bra size and don`t mention being measured because they were the worst

sigh, what a waste but if a dedicated charity can use them, well and good

Coincidently I am also wearing a lovely new bra today! I found that my bra was riding up at the back. I thought this was because the band was too small. I also researched on several lingerie websites and found that I needed a small band size but larger cup size. I bought two fab sports bras that are the best fit I have ever had. A few weeks ago I bought a very pretty underwired bra (not that keen on wires, tbh), and have worn it all day and it is perfect :)

Not buying any more because I still have plenty of weight to lose. I must be patient, so as not to waste money. I am looking forward to when I get down to target weight and can buy some lovely clothes. In fact, it is the thought of how I will look in new smaller clothes that is spurring me on - visualising the goal an' all that :rotfl:

A quick kondo tidy of kitchen cupboards this morning brought them back into line. They needed doing because DH had run amok, adding rather too many of his favourite treats in an unruly fashion.

Laundry and cleaning gone, all bar vaccing upstairs (tennis took precedence!).
    Decided I can better organise a busy few days, so wrote out a schedule so I don't forget where I need to be and what I need to get done !

No plans for tomorrow morning yet but will be MK magic themed! DH working most of the day so I can do my own thing :D
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport